Forward Voltage Drop of stock Si diodes in Soul Food?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jeff West, May 26, 2015.

1. Jeff West

Jeff West Member

Sorry if this has been covered before, but what are you guys measuring for the fwd voltage drop in the stock diodes in E-H Soul Food? I measured about .280 in circuit, but I'm not sure if my meter is well calibrated. Most but not all of the vintage British and U.S. Ge diodes I have on hand test a bit lower than this with the same meter, ~.250. Thanks for any input-

2. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

Yes they measure about the same as a germanium diode, though they are not normal germanium or silicon diodes (schottkey?)

3. Jeff West

Jeff West Member

Thanks, Mike. Do you recall which type of Ge diodes you tried that didn't really sound different from stock? Just messing around with some substitutes I found that UK made OA47 and CV7127 seemed to work especially well, among others.

4. Rydell

Rydell Member

I've had some luck with a pair of 1N270's in my Silver Pony. Definitely prefer them over the "stock" D9E's. They might be worth a shot in the Soul Food.

5. amz-fx

amz-fx Supporting Member

Yes, I think they are schottky diodes - the 0.28 Vf is exactly the same as I measured in the 1N5819 diodes that I have on hand.

regards, Jack

cj_wattage likes this.
  6. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

0.3V is about right for most Schottky diodes. But forward voltage drop is a function of current, so as current increases, so does Vf. Most effects pedals have fairly low current draw, especially in the audio path (where clipping diodes are situated).