1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fostex 16 track analog machine

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by macula56, Mar 14, 2005.

1. macula56

macula56 Member

does anyone here know anything about Fostex 16 track analog recorders? i need some info. thanks

2. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

I used an old 1/2" back in the day.

What do you want to know?

3. Red Ant

Red Ant Member

What kind of info? If memory serves, they were 1/2'' 16-tracks, which is really not enough track width - lots of crosstalk, print-through, all kinds of problems. On the other hand, 1/2'' tape is cheaper and easier to aquire, considering there is no more 2'' or 1'' tape being manufactured. I still wouldn't recommend it - current digital, problematic as it is, is head and shoulders above what the F-16 will give you.

4. macula56

macula56 Member

i have tapes from an unfinished project that i want to complete. it was recorded on a fostex 16 track machine. i was looking for tech info on the E16 and the B16 as i think it was one of those two machines. and then i want to try and locate one.

5. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

The B16 and E16 track machines run at 15ips and use dolby C noise reduction.

The only problems I had was if the azimuth of the head alignment was different between two machines then you would have problems.

The crosstalk and signal to noise ratio was very good and the track width is about the same as a cassette per track but running at 15 ips.

They were set up for Ampex 456 tape and can be got second hand for around $500-$750.

The main thing to watch out for is that the heads are Ok as they were quite soft and wore out quickly.

If you can go for the E16 machine as it is better built, another option is to hire or borrow a machine and transfer the material to a digital recorder for completion .

6. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

7. macula56

macula56 Member

thanks Gary. i saw that one on ebay. i've seen a couple of E16's on there as well. i'll keep looking. no one in my area has one. can that head alignment be adjusted if my tapes don't playback properly?

8. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

Yes it is an easy adjustment to alter the azimuth it only takes an allen (hex) key.

It may not need doing as they are OK from the factory it is only if someone has replaced the heads and havent done it properly that problems occur.

It is because the track width is so small that if it isnt spot on then probs occur.

If you find a machine play one of your tapes and have a listen to trks 1 and 16 as they will be most affected.