found a beat up amp, is it worth $75?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by elkym, Feb 9, 2008.

1. elkym

elkym Member

looks like this, but a lot worse, I think it's missing a speaker, maybe two?
    [​IMG]

2. steve10358

steve10358 Member

For the price of the beat up amp, service and a speaker- you could have a new one of those. LOL.

I say skip it.

3. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

$75 No
    $40-50 Yes

4. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

no amount of money is worth sounding like s h i t

5. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

Seriously. I have a white tolexed and it just sits and gathers dust. Its not a bad amp, but at best it's worth maybe 250 bucks in good working condition.

(on a side note I emailed Peavey and they told me its a 75 and the white tolexed ones were made specific for sly and the family stones band lol.. not really sure how it got between them and the guy my dad bought it from decades ago)

6. Elmer

Elmer hell is chrome

Some old Peavey's sound pretty decent and are worth spending a few bucks on. I don't think that's one of 'em... I'd pass.

7. KCWM

KCWM Supporting Member

It's not a bad amp at all. I tried one out recently and liked what I heard. For 75 bucks, especially with power tubes, it's not bad. Plus, as someone said, they can go from between $150-$200 or so used.

I used to have an old Peavey Deuce that sound really really nice...loud too. But, I was just starting out and didn't want to deal with tubes. So, it went back. I believe the classics have either build in tremolo or phaser depending on the model. The one I tried out had tremolo and it was definitely nice.

8. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I have one of those and use it all the time to gig with. I picked it up on craigslist from an synth player and popped in an Eminence Patriot Screamin Eagle. The guy had replaced the tubes with cheap Chinese tubes. I put in a set of Winged C's and keep the Chinese as backups. Its got a great tone with the master up and the preamp volume low. I use a bad monkey to push the amp and it sounds great. The built in phase and reverb are decent, and I use them all the time. Its a very solid amp, and quite heavy so I suggest getting some casters.

Offer 50 bucks. Good luck

Ohh yeah make sure you get the foot switch too, you can blend the two channels in auto mix mode.

Peavey will send you a schematic if you ask nicely.

dk

9. Echo Are

Echo Are Member

Those 1970s-era PV Classics are killer bang-for-buck clean and blues machines. For rawk, maybe a pedal would work. I've had 2 of those amps. Modern speakers do wonders for them. The stock speakers were frighteningly cruddy, ugly things with square magnets. $75.00 is pretty cheap, PV Classics of that era in good working order usually go for around $200.00. Again, great clean and bluesy, low-breakup tones. Cool surfy Fender-y reverb too. 50 watts into 4 ohms. You can download the manual from Peavey.com. The amp's name in the manual is "The Classic".

Oh yeah, the bias for the 2 6L6s on those is adjustable. If you do end buying it, definitely have a tech check it out.