Found a dynamic sound - new tune - opinions please!

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by journo, Mar 20, 2006.

1. journo

journo Member

Hi,

As many of you here know I have a soft spot for Steely Dan and Larry Carlton. Not that I could ever hope to play or sound like Larry C, but I still aim for that sort of sound and feel. So a few days ago I was fooling around with my recording rig (again!) I found this sound that really allowed my to play a bit more dynamically then I usually feel I can. This resulted in a tune that borrows a few elements from the genius of Donald Fagen. Thanks Mr F!

Here's the tune. Opinions are (as always) welcome!

Fat Tuesday

Cheers,

Mats N

2. Cap'n Fingers

Cap'n Fingers Member

T-Town. Home of street construction hell!
    Nice tone Mats! I like the way you sound. Very LC-ish.
    I love the backing. Is it available?

-Mike

3. gennation

gennation Member

Yeah very responsive to the touch. Nice thick and creamy too.

The playing and tone compliment each other well. Nice job.

4. Normster

Normster Member

If I didn't know better, I'd swear you found yourself a Dumble. ;)

Great tone, Mats! As always, sweet composition and playing.

5. CarlosEduardo

CarlosEduardo Member

hola Mats, yeah really tastefull and creamy tone, maybe the mid range need for some little boost during the high intensity section from 02:30~03:09 cuz guitar get a bit opaqued in context, but I preffer the tone that way anyway, it sang sweetly and elegant. About Backing track...WOW...WOW and just WOW... I envy the way your can clone my beloved Steely Dan in a gleam of eyes!

Cheers

Carlos

6. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

Very nice. I enjoyed that.

Shawn.

7. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Awesome indeed!
    Very very sweet tone and playing.

8. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Mmmmm,
    Real sweet Mats!
    Nice dynamic touch man
    So like, tell us the gear involved, you know we are the type that drools :)
    What mic, interface, pedals, amp, guitar... damn I'm goin' into aortal fibrillation here :)

Harry Jacobson
    www.harryj.net

9. journo

journo Member

Hi,

First of all thank you to all who have listened and taken their time to comment. I really do appreciate it. The fact that you liked it makes it even more pleasurable. Especially since many of you are sources of inspiration for me.

Regarding equipment this was a quick, cheap and cheerful setup.
    Stock Yamaha SA500 (chinese 335 sort of clone) direct into my Boss GS-10 digital modeller and then analog from that into Cubase SX 3. That's it and I'm quite happy with the result. The extra gain in the middle passage was achieved with the boost effect in the GS-10. The funny thing is that the amp model I used is called "Warm Clean".

The reverb and delay was added at mixdown. Reverb was TC Electronics Native Bundle and the delay was the free felay plugin from Kjearhus.

Cheers,

Mats N

10. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

Nice job, Mats!:AOK Keep 'em coming...

11. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Wow Journo, sounds great man. Real nice playing. I can realy hear the larry influence on the bends and phrasing.

What a great BT as well. is this one of your's ?

12. journo

journo Member

Hi Woody,

All the stuff I post here (except for a few tracks) are my own compositions, including this one. Writing tunes is my absolute favourite hobby.

It all started when I that Ed Degenaro put up a track here and I thought I would give it a go. I did and posted my take and was met by positive reviews. I got encouraged by the response I posted a tune of my own and that generated a lot of takes and I was hooked. It's Ed's fault. :D THANKS Ed!

Since then I've had suggestions that I should try to find a way to earn some money from my BT's. Especially since I got laid off work in January. As I always take suggestions seriuosly I have now approached a few companies with an idea I have regarding BT's and have entered negotiations with one and there may actually be something coming out of this discussion.

Cheers,

Mats N

13. mikem

mikem Senior Member

Hi, Journo. Well, what can I say about this- to me, this looks like some serious growth from what was already becoming some seriously great work. Your playing and composing sound like they've made a quantum leap- exciting stuff, my friend.

Glad to hear that you've pursued the idea of trying to get some compensation for what really is great work. Keep pursuing this and best of luck!

:dude

Mike

14. Mike

Mike Member

Hey Mats, I've always been inclined to check out your posts. I think I may have even tried to do a take over one of your backings at some point. But I have to say, (in a totally UN scientific analysis) that I think this was your best ever. Vibe-y, great playing, great tone!

Great job! Keep going man. Really, keep pushing. You have a lot of promise.

Mike

15. journo

journo Member

Hi,

MikeM - Thanks for the encouragement on the commercial angle. I'm meeting with the company next week in Frankfurt during the huge trade show and although I'm quite used to international business this time I'm a bit nervous as this is my own stuff. Of course, I also appreciate the comment of musical growth. It will be interesting to see what my next thingie will sound like.

ToneGurus - unscientific or not, I really appreciate your comment. Especially about the tone as I know you are used to great TwoRock tone. If I can get some money from this BT thing I might find myself in the enviable position of being able to afford a good amp and might call on you for that as I don't think I can get Two Rock in Sweden.

Cheers,

Mats N