Found a good transparent boost

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Roadstar II, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Roadstar II

Roadstar II Member

[​IMG]

Tried a number of pedals to get a real volume boost, but I couldn't get enough volume. Thought about looking at an EQ or other source, but thought, "Wait a minute...." and just starting using my guitar's volume knob. Sure enough, a boost without the coloration my other pedals provided. A cheap, simple solution was there all along.

Not a troll thread, just an observation and invitation for discussion on minimalism v. acquisition.

2. 8len8

8len8 Member

When I roll back the volume on my Les Pauls it changes the tone somewhat, so I wouldn't call it transparent.

3. bloc

bloc Member

With crappy electronics this might not be a good option on some guitars

4. meowmers

meowmers Member

I feel like the volume knob does act more like a gain and saturation control than actually volume since it's the first in the signal chain to decide how much signal goes into the dirt pedal / the dirty amp

5. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

That is one way of doing things. Set your sound up with your guitar volume and tone control on 7. Then crank the volume for leads and whatnot.

6. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

Solder a 680pf cap and a 150k resistor in parallel between the two non grounded pins on your volume pots. It'll keep that treble in there and not alter your tone at all when your pot is wide open.

7. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Silver Supporting Member

There is coloration with a volume knob, a treble bleed helps a lot to keep your pickups signal as good when you turn youe volume down and then "boost" it up.

I use my volume and tone knobs a lot in my LP, but sure enought they are not on par with a good boost pedal.

8. NewDr.P

NewDr.P Member

If you only play clean then yes- this works.

Many guitar players started using distortion about 40 years ago.

9. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Vintage (50's) wiring helps. For the next k pickup, disconnecting the tone pot altogether is even better. I can't remember the last time I wanted to roll off treble there anyway.

10. lavinci

lavinci Member

Yes, Union Tube and Transistor's More pedal
    Just plain magical
    Has to be heard, to be understood...

La\\//inci

11. 8len8

8len8 Member

I've tried treble bleed circuits before but none are perfect (not transparent).

12. 8len8

8len8 Member

This.

13. Roadstar II

Roadstar II Member

Obviously. My point is it's the same tone when you use the volume knob, not what a new circuit board plugged into your signal introduces. You get an increase in saturation and volume, but the color of the tone is the same. Doesn't matter if it's a clean or distorted, you get the same effect.

14. bluflames

bluflames Member

Treble bypass for the volume pot depends on the pedals you're using too - for example with a vintage fuzz or treble booster both of which clean up exceptionally well it is likely not as necessary as with a tube screamer or boss ds-1 for example...

Additionally some pedals/amps are so distorted and compressed you can't really get much out of your volume knob until 2 or 3 on the dial, and sometimes even then it's more of a cutoff control than a gradual thing.

The thing I think confounds good volume knob cleanup is... Volume... For example when my amp is wide open and I roll down to clean up, I don't have any complaints about my sound - there's still enough treble to where it doesn't sound like you're playing a 1950s archtop when you turn down the volume.

Likewise when I'm playing my modded boss SD-1 or even my bluesbreaker derivatives (but to a lesser extent than with the SD-1) my volume knob becomes somewhat worthless. However, when I'm playing my EP booster clone or my EA trem in boost-only mode I don't have the same problem. So it definitely depends on the whole setup and not just whether or not you have a treble bypass on your volume knob.

15. NewDr.P

NewDr.P Member

Oh, I assumed you were using the English word transparent. I was mistaken. You're using it as tgp does- to mean good.

Everyone here based on the thread title assumed you were referring to putting s boost in the effects loop, etc.

Many players, myself included, don't like how pickups sound not turned up- again referring to distortion tones. What you're describing is at best sacrificing overall tone for the purpose of not using a pedal. Most people are aware of that option and decide it's not worth it.

16. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

Have you played around with the values of the parts? All pickups are different and will inherently take the circuits differently. The two guitars that I've installed the kits in have taken the circuits very well and sound very transparent IMO. I'm all over my volume knobs and have been extremely happy with the outcomes.

17. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

Yes, it will.

18. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

I find it depends on the guitar and the rig, as well as how the gain is staged. On my current rig I recently tested exactly this, and rolling back/up the volume on the guitar was less transparent than the clean boost that is immediately after the guitar in the chain - i.e., the volume knob on the guitar changed the tone more than kicking in the clean boost. I use both methods depending on what I want tonally - they are both tools in the toolbox of tone....

19. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Was expecting to see a picture of a vintage DMM or another $400 pedal with everything but level/gain/volume knobs at 0.

20. Space Jazzer

Space Jazzer Member

But does it sport the germanium diodes..?

:dunno