Found a little jem today...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Metallicdream91, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Metallicdream91

Metallicdream91 Guest

I walked into my local guitar shop today (Ax in Hand, in DeKalb, IL.) looking to buy a Fender Mustang III. I preceeded to ask the exremely nice owner about the Mustang, and he said they would be getting a shipment in in about roughly three weeks time. I said okay, and started to chat with the guy. We were shooting the breeze for a few, and I began to walk around the extremely small shop. They are always getting in really cool used gear of all kinds, and as I walked around, I noticed a what I thought was a Fender Bassman '59 (wasn't sure if it was a reissue or the original, since it looked fairly weathered, so I bent in for a closer look) and it turned out to be Peavy's carbon copy of the Bassman, the Classic 50. I asked the owner how much he was selling it for, and then he dropped the bomb on me...he was looking for $400 for it! Now, the guy told me it was roughly 10-15 years old, but the fact that they sell for a grand, new, these days, I thought $400 was really good, especially since he just replaced the tubes with all new JJ's...needless to say, I grabbed it while I had the chance, and now the proud owner of an early 90's (give or take) Peavey Classic 50, which is also my first tube amp. I'm completely in love! Here's the first picture I took, hope you like it!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  2. MCK

MCK Member

Congrats!!! First one is always special!

and oh, before I forget it...

:worthless

and

:clips

3. hmontgomery

hmontgomery Member

A very nice amp, but very different than a Bassman. At least if this is the current model of Classic 50, 4xEL84's, channel switching, reverb, etc. Congrats.

4. Tele Wacker

Tele Wacker Member

I owned a Peavey that was something like that back in the 70's. At that time I didn't know about tweed Fender Bassman amps. I liked the Peavey but it was big and heavy. I thought it sounded very good but I was a Fender guy, even back then.
    Congrats on your find.

5. Stu Blue

Stu Blue Member

An old Peavey Classic 50 is what Paul Rose borrowed in the video in my sig below... he's a past winner of Guitarist of the Year and definitely "got the fingers" :omg..... so don't be too upset if you can't get that stuff on yours. (he's the one singing... I'm the nearly dead one with the black strat). Video camera mike looses all the warmth and low end as usual.....

6. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

The new one's may sell for a grand, but I don't think they're anywhere near as good as the one you got. Others may disagree... and I don't have any real first hand experience with either, so I'm going on the "they don't make them like they used to..." theory. I have demo'd other "older" Peaveys and a couple new Peaveys and the new one's exude this real "cheap" vibe. (I used a dif descriptor for "cheap" originally, but decided to not cast aspersions too deeply right now.)

$400 seems like a decent price for a newly retubed Classic 50.

Enjoy! And as others have pointed out... without photos, it didn't happen... without clips... well, I'm more about the photos but if you can rip, then, sure, I'll have a listen.

7. Darkness

Darkness Member

Welcome to the tube amp club! Enjoy the heck outta yer new, to you at least, amp.

8. Milo

Milo Member

Great amp. Its fun with tubes,

9. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    Congrats! Those are nice amps. Really versatile and dare I say I actually prefer the reverb on those amps over Fender...blasphemous! Lol.

10. Metallicdream91

Metallicdream91 Guest

Gotta upload the pic online...it'll happen later today for sure!

11. weathertite

weathertite Member

Nice to hear you got a good score at Ax in Hand..... I think you and I were just chatting on FB about tube amps.... If so looks like you didn't waste any time... Congrats....

Ed

12. JKjr

JKjr Member

I remember when these amps hit the market like a breath of fresh air. I think they were the arse kick that got us the DeVilles and reissue amps. As others said not even close to a Bassman but still a cool amp, especially with a speaker upgrade. Nothing against Mustangs but I'd say you won big.Congrats!

13. Metallicdream91

Metallicdream91 Guest

Yeah Ed, you're right, I didn't waste any time. I shot you an e-mail on Facebook telling you more about it too. It's a great amp and thanks!

14. Metallicdream91

Metallicdream91 Guest

I actually don't really know how to upload photos, but I'm figuring it out, so bare with me...

15. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

:agreeIt doesn't have to be a Fender Bassman but as long as the tone is pleasing to your ears that is all that matters. Best of luck with your new toy.

16. Metallicdream91

Metallicdream91 Guest

Mustangs are nice in there own right, but this amp just blows it out of the water (IMO, of course). It's a tone monster on it's own, and then I plug my POD into it, and the tonal possibilities are endless! I was worried that it might not handle high gain to well, but man was I wrong! Plays my Treadplate model on my POD like a champ! I don't think I've ever been this happy about piece of gear before...