Found a new mailorder house - cheap!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by devbro, Sep 13, 2005.

1. devbro

devbro Member

Finally an alternative to musicians enema.

Free shipping too! They seem to specialize in higher end recording stuff. I bought a boat load of switchcraft jacks for dirt cheap. They sent me a catalog too. Check em out.

http://www.sweetwater.com

2. devbro

devbro Member

I guess I'm just a fan of free shipping:p

3. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Every time I can't get what I want at my friend's shop, I order from sweetwater. Great place.

4. Den

Den Member

I've had good experience with Sweetwater as well, but I find their prices a little high on most things I've shopped for.

5. Ryan

Ryan Member

E-mail one of their sales engineers and they'll ususally knock some off the price.

6. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

Sales "engineers?" LOL now THAT's a new one!

7. pbhtrip

pbhtrip Member

Sweetwater is excellent. Top notch customer service everytime I've bought stuff from them. Can't say the same about MF.

Peter

8. radicool

radicool Member

I've always got great customer service from Sweetwater, too. I just bought some cables from them today, in fact. The free shipping is nice also. They seem to specialize in pro audio, which is not my main interest, but they sell a bit of everything and I use them when I can.

9. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Sweetwater has excellent service, but their inventory is not much different from AMS or MF. Sweetwater is your mom & pop shop, MF is a gumball machine.

10. raz

raz Member

Not hardly new, unfortunately, but sure has hell pretentious.

This kind of BS turns me off. AFAIC, any company that calls its sales reps "engineers" is trying to con me and I'll shop elsewhere.

(So many want to be engineers. So few want to earn the title. :rolleyes: )

11. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

A friend of mine that does studio work (recording/protools) in LA has been buying from them since they started in a house...he always raves about their professional & knowledgable service.
    Greg

12. stevieray

stevieray Member

May be true, but so many want to be guitarists and so few earn the title as well. Sweetwater's not trying to con you, they're just trying to set themselves apart. I'd say they're doing as good a job as anybody considering their now considerable size.

13. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I appreciated the selection, prices, and service when I ordered from them via their website. I even appreciated the follow-up call to make sure everything had arrived and was to my satisfaction. What I didn't appreciate was the next follow-up call when my "sales engineer" left and gave my account to someone else. They called to ask if I needed any other items. Seriously, I don't need to be called at work so that some new salesguy can try to make a sale.

I'll order from them again, but they need to back off a bit on their sales tactics.

Bryan

14. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I appreciated their service, my sales guy is great and they always do right on price. Highly recomended.

15. devbro

devbro Member

A buddy of mine is a big recording gear head (hmmm, can't relate to that). Anyway, he told me that they started out as a studio which is why they're a little heavy on the high end recording gear.

I've ordered from them twice and never been called by a "sales engineer". I guess I'm small potatoes:D Also, the stuff I ordered was cheaper that Mouser or Small Bear.

I really get irritated when I need a $10.00 thingamajig and I pay $8.00 for shipping. I've shipped enough stuff to know that $4.00 of that is ******** handling:mad:

Anyone that offers free shipping get's my vote :dude

16. tjburton

tjburton Member

I would say the call back with the switch in in Sales guys is not the norm. I've had the same sales guy for 7 years - he always told me if I was in the area to stop by. I had a gig in Indiana several years back and stopped in to see the place.

These is not your normal bunch of minimum wage guys sitting around playing "Smoke On The Water" when they aren't on the phone. I hear from a "friend of a friend" that the average sales guy there makes a GREAT living.

These guys are always being trained on the new gear coming out... Not just recieving the marketing swag and using that as their expertise. There is a dedicated, acoustically treated seminar area for manufactures to come and do training sessions for the sales staff after hours. I'm not sure, but I've heard these are a mandatory thing... (Good thing for the consumer)

Overall I found it a very impressive setup.. the studios are excelent, as I remember they have at least 3 recording rooms.

If they are in the ballpark I'll buy from sweetwater for the service and expertise.... they are just good guys - much different than a Guitar Center experience.:dude

17. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

MF is the retail equivalent of the HC forum. It wouldn't surprise me to find out they were owned by the same person.

:p (sarcasm)

18. trinitysun

trinitysun Member

I snapped the trem spring on my Parker Fly a few years back. It was incredibly hard to track down the part, but Sweetwater actually had several different tension gauges and I ended up with an upgrade instead of just a repair. Good caller service too.

**I should note that the part I ordered was not actually in their catalog. The customer service person helped track it down for me. So if you're looking for something specific, chances are they will have it if you call.

19. cubba65

cubba65 Member

IME, Sweetwater is a little more than avg. with pricing, but they are extremely knowledgable when it comes to the gear they sell and the way they back up their sale (good ole customer service).

So you get what you pay for.

20. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

My sales rep slways does good by me with price... I always pay less than what's advertised in their catalogs or web site.

Customer service an support is awesome! Ever try a manufacturer's customer support? I know with Sweetwater, I'll alway get someone on line that knows the product... sometimes even better than the manufactuer's customer service people.