Found a nice surprise inside my new (old) Strat pickup cavity

John Quinn

Well, to my surprise, I took off the pickguard and found out that the pickups had been swapped out for a set of Lollar Specials
Although that is of course a nice bonus - there is also something else different. The third control is a Push/Pull pot - and the wiring looks like it has two of the pickups in series when you pull the pot up.

it seems that the bottom tone control (tone knob furthest from the volume knob) doesn't affect the tone of bridge pickup. Is that a common thing to do? Never heard of anyone doing that before.
If I'm not mistaken Fender wired them like that from the factory. No tone control on the bridge ... the pickup that needs it the most. Tradition and all that rot.

Nice deal on the secret treasure! :aok

So I just bought a 2001 Fender American Strat on Reverb, and the ad mentioned that everything on the guitar is original. I had planned to eventually swap out the stock pickups for a set of Fralins or Lollars, but when I plugged it in today, I was pleasantly surprised with how good the pickups sounded.

Well, to my surprise, I took off the pickguard and found out that the pickups had been swapped out for a set of Lollar Specials :dude

On the downside, it seems that the bottom tone control (tone knob furthest from the volume knob) doesn't affect the tone of bridge pickup. Is that a common thing to do? Never heard of anyone doing that before.
Nice! I seem to always get surprise pickups too...twice in the last year I got a used guitar expecting stock pickups and found Bareknuckles (and once, a Kinman set).

Most recently I bought a USA Peavey Predator with Fender noiseless mid and bridge pups, neck pickup looked stock but turned out to be a Fender CS Fat 50.

Always great when you plan a project but then find it's already been done for ya :).

COYS

That's cool! I bought a 335 once and when I looked at the pickups found that someone had put Lollar Imperials in it.

RicOkc

So I just bought a 2001 Fender American Strat on Reverb, and the ad mentioned that everything on the guitar is original. I had planned to eventually swap out the stock pickups for a set of Fralins or Lollars, but when I plugged it in today, I was pleasantly surprised with how good the pickups sounded.

Well, to my surprise, I took off the pickguard and found out that the pickups had been swapped out for a set of Lollar Specials :dude

On the downside, it seems that the bottom tone control (tone knob furthest from the volume knob) doesn't affect the tone of bridge pickup. Is that a common thing to do? Never heard of anyone doing that before.
That's completely normal wiring for a traditional Stratocaster.

moehuh

You could try to simply move the white wire coming from the 2nd tone control to the free lug just next to it on the 5-way. Like this you remove the middle pickup form the tone and attach the bridge. It leaves the middle alone a bit brighter (can be useful, especially as an alternative sound if you never use the middle alone anyways), but it gives you clear 2 and 4 positions. Search for Eric Johnson wiring.
The alternative is to attach another wire from the lug where the 2nd tone is connected to the free one next to it on the 5-way. You'll find countless schematics for this, as it became pretty much the standard nowadays. This however has the disadvantage that position 4 (neck & middle) now sees two tone pot loads (1st and 2nd tone pot are on in this position). So even with both at 10 there is a double load. This lowers the resonant peak a bit and makes it sound darker, which can reduce the beloved sparkle in that position.

Last edited:

groundmeat

I was half expecting a bag of coke
OR... Why stash your coke in the guitar... when you can make the damn thing ITSELF out of cocaine.

Doode

OR... Why stash your coke in the guitar... when you can make the damn thing ITSELF out of cocaine.

It's got sustain for nights.

skinvoyager

I once found a used Revstar at Guitar Center. The pickups sounded just like my Thornbuckers, which I love. I asked the salesman to pull out the pickups to confirm, and sure enough I was right. The guitar was already priced pretty low, but I got him to knock off another $150 because the pickups weren’t original. :)

Norm N Playin

"...missed it by that much."
Silver Supporting Member
I was thinking a vintage, 19 year old Spliff. (I was told it helps with those high notes.)

You will certainly get more out of those pickups though.

DGAS

That's actually the opposite of something that IMHO has become an epidemic, which is people buying used gear from places like Guitar Center, swapping out the stock pickups, replacing them with import crap, and then returning the guitar.

Then the next buyer is stuck holding the bag, and probably not even realizing it.

You got lucky, but I think it's far more common for buyers to get unlucky in that situation.

hank57

Platinum Supporting Member
Moehah laid out a great choice for that wiring. Just one wire gets moved.

besides coke I thought maybe a strange bug was inside.

or maybe a note from someone in the factory who is trying to escape the dungeon.

HolyGuacamole

EDIT: Sorry, I'm obviously not a strat guy... I learned that the wiring is perfectly normal :bonk
That's awesome! Congrats!

I was given a MIM '93 Strat as a teen... no idea what pickups are in it. Probably stock, but makes me curious now.

Trending Topics