Found a solution to the crappy SLO loop

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Burst59, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Burst59

Burst59 Member

OK so I love my SLO but the loop is hell. It worked OK with my G major 2 but I want to use my Stryman Time Line. So I found purely by accident
    the Lehle Paralell M. I received a coupon from Pro Guitar Shop that's only good for today so I was able to get $40.00 off.
    Anyway there is very little loss in signal quality if any and the Strymon sounds fantastic. Just set your device for kill dry or fully wet and your good to go.
    Anyway I thought I would share since I get great help from the forum all the time. I would think this would work well with a passive D style loop as well.
    PG has a $40.00 off coupon for anything over $249.00 so you can pick one up for $209.00 today.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  2. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

Without this stores discount they actually sell for the same price ($1 difference).
    The units are different though.
    I figure I went with max headroom and less is more for the most transparent signal path. Unless you are running a supply of 30V it is difficult to get enough makeup gain without clipping on transients in a situation like a Dumble style with an insert loop with need serious return gain without clipping in an external unit. On the SLO you get away with it since the return gain is there in the amp but the EQ is still post effect in the amp. You will still have level effect loudness issues when switching channels and 2 different master volumes settings if there are trailing echoes in the SLO loop. The mix should be done in the patches of the effects or you get in to trouble always needing to tweak the controls. Also the MiniMix II runs on a 9VDC supply but internally is exchanged to give you a 30V supply. Due to this the MiniMixII has almost twice the headroom before clipping. Plus with the miniMix you have an extra input and have the option of remotely kicking the MiniMix in to series mode for a couple of patches in the effect where you wouldn't want the dry mixed in. Whatever works for you is great but it isn't apples to apples.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  3. Burst59

Burst59 Member

Your right I spoke to soon on that, after spending more time with the unit last night the only advantage I can see is the adjustable send and return.
    And one really big difference is there is no way to turn it off or switch
    back to series which can be done with the MiniMix 2.

4. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

The MMII is transparent in my SLO loop.

5. Burst59

Burst59 Member

Yes I was completely wrong on that, when you add the advantages and the fact that the MiniMix comes with it's own power supply unlike the Lehle the clear advantage is the MiniMix 2. As I used the Lehle noticed I was unable to switch it out of the loop other then just turning off the effect.
    So I spoke to soon apologies to Suhr my comment has been removed.
    Lehle is more of an option but it's price tag is $50.00 more and has no clear advantage over the MiniMix 2. So I'm now rethinking this and I'm going to grab another MiniMix 2 for a comparision and most likely return the Lehle.
    Not being able to switch back to serial is a huge deal for me.

6. peterdjp

peterdjp Member

Whatever little mixer you go with you can now take the 100% wet right side of the stereo signal to another amp. Main cab has your dry tone and left side fx in parallel. Other amp/cab is right side wet fx. Sounds huge.

7. Burst59

Burst59 Member

I think I'll try going out to my Ecstasy 101b for the other channel and set the 101b for low end, that will give the SLO the extra bottom end while retaining the singing lead tone.

8. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Since John was involved in this thread, John, can you tell us the advantage of the MiniMixII over Ron's RJM MInimixer, in that that one only costs 200.00... . I hate hooking up all this extra stuff, but I'm going to buy a mini-mixer w/in the next few weeks as I have a few amps I don't want to use the serial loops on . . . .

Eric

9. Husky

You could compare the specs and pick the one that has features that matter to you. His has another input and also runs on +-15V converted from 9VDC like ours does which is good. Ours can be used for instrument level guitar and his not because it is 10K input, also ours is a lower output impedance. His is going to need a buffered send to feed it so it wont be so great in an insert loop but I dont recommend using any of these boxes for that anyway. Ours is transformer isolated to eliminate any ground loops (trannys costs money except on the Bowery), dont know if theirs is. Ours has a buffered send not just a parallel split and remote switching so you can kick it in to series mode for one patch if you need it. I'm sure it is a good product too, just still different. If I eliminated the transformers it would be the same price but they sure can eliminate some headaches :hiP
    Any yes ours comes with a good power supply.

10. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

THANKS! I'm going to refer to this when it's time to buy in the next week or 2. I very much appreciate your reply :aok Eric

11. Bamboo

Bamboo Member

Couldn't the SLO loop be modded to be more pedal friendly?

12. Husky

Well yeah sort of, Ideally a new loop moved after the Master Volumes.

13. Burst59

Burst59 Member

Just spent some more time with the Lehle Paralell M and I gotta say it sounds phenomenal. I went back and forth between the effect in and out and really could not hear any tone loss so it's a good option I'm not saying it's the best but it's just another option. I do like the adjustable send and return and the mix knob because if your using a basic floor pedal you can't edit levels or patches, so for that application it works well. As far as power I can run it right off my Voodoo Labs 2 power supply.
    So use your ears as your guide see which one works best for your needs. I've owned 3 external devices Glaswerks Matchbox, MiniMix 2 and now the Lehle Paralell M and they all have their positives. I loved the Glaswerks but if I was doing a jam it sucked having the extra chords and having the unit on top of the head. MiniMix2 was great because it fit right on my board or because of it's size I could literally stuff it inside the head as though it was built in. To be honest if I could have walked into a store locally and grab one I would have went for the MiniMix2. I gambled on the Lehle Paralell M because it was in a store 6 miles from my house and I knew I could return it in 30 days if I didn't like it.

14. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

I'm a true "Ceebs" card carrying member, lived around the corner on 2nd st. back in the day. And having a family derived photo of Annie Oakley taken at a studio on the Bowery, I, naturally, find your comment... hysterical. Except they DO cost money... just not as much as a tranny for an amp. ;-)

15. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I used to use an Intellifex with an SLO. The loop worked great. I guess you can't run pedals in that loop. You could pick one of these up and never have an issue with pedals and racks in any effx loop again-

[​IMG]

16. Burst59

Burst59 Member

That looks just like my Glaswerks but I bet it's much cheaper. I wish I would have known about that before.

17. Burst59

Burst59 Member

18. glaswerks

glaswerks Gold Supporting Member

I don't think the VOX has been made for many years.

19. Burst59

Burst59 Member

One thing missing is the bright switches that the Matchbox has and I also have a stereo out option with the Glaswerks. Also It doesn't look like it has real tubes in it, I have 2 12AX7's in the matchbox so it's pretty warm sounding. But on budget it looks like it would get the job done, but I did read there were complaints that it's very noisy.