Found a sweet Dean Hardtail USA on Craigslist.

krimson

While scouring Craigslist for deals I came a across a Dean Hardtail USA. It reminded me of an old PRS faded blue CE24 that I regretfully sold a few years ago. I remember seeing ads for these when they came out, but I never played any modern Deans. Did some research on the forum here and found nothing but great reviews, so I decided to check it out. I couldn't pass it up, seller was asking $800 but it tuned out we had some mutual friends in common, so he took my lower offer. The guitar was mint but it needed to be setup and have the nickel hardware polished. It also included the original case with hangtag and the Dean Hardtail keychain.

The finish and top on these guitars is amazing. I own 5 PRS and the top on this guitar is much nicer than all but my Singlecut Artist, which I would is just as nice. Can't wait to start bonding with this one. This one has a Duncan JB at the bridge and 1959 at the neck.

Hardtail_zpsikzi6sjy.jpg

Hardtail2_zps6qhlhfav.jpg

deanCase_zpsucqiggab.jpg

clmazza

Silver Supporting Member
Great find at an amazing price! I have three of these gems and they are truly an underrated guitar. Expense was not spared when sourcing materials for these. I happen to own one of the first that was made.... a very early 2002 quilt amber hardtail. Congrats!

Texsunburst59

Very cool score.

I've never seen one in person, but I know those were Dean's top of line guitars.

One of these days I'd like to be able to audition one.

Congrats!!!

Five Horizons

Silver Supporting Member
I remember when those first came out. I GAS'd for one as it was the first real "denim burst" guitar and I always thought they looked so cool.

That is definitely the top of the line Dean. I've always been curious, how's the neck on them? I never could find one in person to try out (or even see).

I was on the hunt for a while and it seemed like those hovered around $1800 used. At $800 you STOLE that; I can't imagine someone letting one go for that!

krimson

Yeah, I got great deal on this one. He was actually asking $800 but I offered $650 and he took it. Apparently the owner bought it in a package deal with 3 other guitars that included a Gibson Les Paul from person who was looking for cash to buy a car. He only wanted the LP and was selling the other guitars to offset most of his cost. It was listed very vaguely in an ad that only said "2 Guitars for sale" with a picture of an Ibanez Artcore Hollowbody. I almost scrolled past but decided to click on it and sat on the listing for about 4 days to get a little more information on the model and get the finances in order.

I didn't play it much yesterday. I spent the evening cleaning up the oxidized nickel hardware & frets and setting it up. Today I finally sat and played it for a bit and I didn't want put it down. I own 5 PRS (Custom 22, Custom 24, CE 24, Singlecut Trem, & Mira) and I have to say that I believe that this guitar might edge all of those guitars in terms of tone. I will add that in my opinion PRS is a lighter more comfortable guitar to play, but not by much. The Hardtail has a weight more comparable to an LP, it seems like the body is thicker than PRS. The variation in tone in the middle position that you can get by playing with the neck & bridge volume knobs is something I've never experienced with any Les Paul, considering they share the same type control layout. The Hardtail also sustains very nicely. At the right volume I'm sure that it would sustain forever. Can't wait to take it out for gig and play it a stage volume for the night.

LBXPDX

Nice guitar and great score. I scored a USA made Dean Icon Prototype from 97 for practically nothing and I love the guitar. The neck is where it shines. Mine has a strange neck, it is nocaster in size for the first three or so frets, transitions to a soft V until the 14th or so fret, then changes to a C/D shape. I've been curious is the Hardtails have the same style of necks, as they sure are purty guitars.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom