found a use for digital modeling amps

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by shaneygoo, Apr 15, 2008.

1. shaneygoo

shaneygoo Member

dial up a digital preset and then see if you can replicate the tone w/ a real tube amp and analog pedals, amazing how close i can get and how much better it sounds when its the real deal

good ear training and way to get to know your gear

2. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

:bananaI thought you were going to say "boat anchor" but your idea works too.:banana

3. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I guess you haven't tried an axe-fx...

4. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

Interesting....I like the idea!!

Although I have heard good things about the axe-fx....I might have slipped a little too much 'dyed in wool tube' to use it, but it is curious....

5. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I was just foolin'. When I worked for a music store I attended some software and hardware demos that really opened my eyes and ears to the modeling thing. I'm a die hard vintage junkie but if I was recording I can see it being a LOT easier to use the modeling software than a room full of amps, mikes etc.

6. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I'm more of a "dyed in wool tone" guy. I could care less about the technology other than what it sounds like. ;)

7. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I found similar thing happened when I got a Proteus 2000 synth module back in 2000. The chorused Strat and the Tele patches were such good caricatures that it affected how I viewed them and I would play them in the stores and compare. Here's a couple of idea sketch/demos clips that are synth-only emulations that show what it could do. 1 2

8. shaneygoo

shaneygoo Member

i guess if you had a small enough boat and big enough amp the boat anchor idea works too

one more plus for the digital team b4 i bash again... i have a micro br, pocket 4 track w/ effects, etc. it has roland cosm models and since i can't fit battery powered tubes in my pocket i'm glad its a modeler... but any situation given the option analog prevails hands down

so i read my ampeg head being compared to a mesa, i've never had one of those so i was skeptical, but a/b my modeler sound most like it on a mesa model w/ medium gain

then i tried jimmy page lemon song preset, adjusted my fuzz, eq, line boost and added a short delay and i got it, even better analog/tubes

think i'll get stumped on some of the other presets though will need more gear

9. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

hehe Nice. Ya, that's how I should be...by the way, I've listened to some of your clips and they sound fantastic.

But if I got rid of my 'all tube/vintage/boutique/stompbox mentality', how could I live without my assumed sense of self-superiority? I really like that. ;)

(Please note...that's slightly tongue in cheek about myself, not anyone else on this board...except maybe a friend of mine who's not registered here....and if he's reading this, he's smiling.)