found in someone's trash.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by joro, Mar 21, 2013.

1. joro

joro Member

Hi fellas, I am new and this is my first post here.
    I was wondering if anyone might be able to suggest a mic for this little 16 watt tube amp that my buddy picked out of someone's trash this week....

It's a circa 1960's Sano model 16WR and after a few sprays of pot piss it's perfect.........
    16 watts....two12AX7s, one 12AU7, one 7199, two 7591 power tubes and one 5Y3GT rectifier and the original 12" speaker.....
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This is what I have for mics...
    [​IMG]
    Rode NT1
    SM 58
    Beta 87A
    55SH series 2
    KSM9
    and two MXL 990s

My signal chain is mic into Mackie 1402 VLZ pro into a Delta 10/10 slaved to a Lucid Genex 96-6 superclock into AA3 on a PC

I thought this might be a good first post...ya know?
    all thoughts appreciated.

2. Lost_Cause

Lost_Cause Member

Cool. cannot argue with that. I had a really nice sounding Sano. i think it was the 2x12 big bro of that one.

Need to post pictures from photobucket or other photo hosting site. Unfortuantely you cannot upload them directly from your computer.

3. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

Grab that SM58 and unscrew that ball off the front end and you'll pretty much have an SM57 which is the No. 1 guitar amp mic of all time! And by No. 1, I mean the most used. If you want, you can through up a second mic as well. I almost always use two mics when micing a cab in the studio. For live performances, I just use the one SM57 or an Audix i5 depending on the amp and what's available. As for which second mic to use, well, I'd just go with the first mic by itself to begin with and then ask yourself if anything is missing from that setup, and use the whichever second mic in whatever position best fills in the gap. Experimentation is your friend!

4. joro

joro Member

Thanks for the heads up man....I appreciate it...

Here are some photobucket images.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. joro

joro Member

If I had one, the 57 would be my first choice also....thanks for the heads up on removing the ball of the 58 man....much appreciated.

****.........I can't see any pictures....

I'll try again....

http://s1359.photobucket.com/user/joro503/media/photo5_zps8ff3e04a.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s1359.photobucket.com/user/joro503/media/photo6_zps3cc847a0.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

http://s1359.photobucket.com/user/joro503/media/photo11_zps1609a807.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

6. Reeek

Reeek Member

In case you ever need it, there is a link to the schematic for the Sano WR16 here on Larry John McNally's website:

http://www.larryjohnmcnally.com/sano_amps.html

I have a Sano 160R - it might be the best sounding 1x12 vintage amp I have ever owned - right at the top for sure.

Nice find ;)

7. Pax

Pax Silver Supporting Member

Why can't I ever find something like that in someone's trash? :confused:

8. joro

joro Member

Thanks man, much appreciated....
    OK...trying pics again......

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

10. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

Nice score! Crazy what some people throw away!

11. Lost_Cause

Lost_Cause Member

I check the trash whenever I walk the dog. Last fall a passed an old console type radio sitting out by the curb where they had an auction earlier in the day. It was loaded with sylvania tubes including a bunch of 7025s. I think it was an airline. It also had a 4 ohm 12"Alnico speaker in it. I have found and been given enough cool stuff for free that I almost never pass up an opportunity to take a look at what someone has. Organs, good ones. Leslies. Good ones. Àll fully functional. I think I made well over a grand on the free Leslies I was given. One I had a preamp pedal for and I could play guitar through it. It sounded cool but was a solid state huge amp made for stage. Some jazz keyboard player (who had a full organ and a grand piano and much much more in his apartment) in Chicago now has to drag it around the Windy City.

12. Tele Wacker

Tele Wacker Member

I think my neighbors check my trash for the stuff I toss.

13. joro

joro Member

thanks for the replys all....
    I am going to try to post a recording I did tonight with this set up....

let's see if it works....

https://soundcloud.com/joro61

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013