• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Found some old tubes in the garage

eurotrashed

One is a 12DT8. Seems roughly the same size as a 12AX7. Are these interchangeable or usable in any guitar amp?

eurotrashed

Ok, so I hear these are simular to a 12AT7?

If so, would I want to try it in V1 or V2 in my Tiny Terror?

rockon1

Platinum Supporting Member
No. I believe the socket would need to be at least rewired. Bob

SatelliteAmps

The 12DT8 has exactly the same pinout, the socket does not have to be rewired. They are similar to a 12AT7. You can look all the info up online about them.

As for where to try it, you can try it in both. It will make a different difference in each spot.

rockon1

The 12DT8 has exactly the same pinout, the socket does not have to be rewired. They are similar to a 12AT7. You can look all the info up online about them.

As for where to try it, you can try it in both. It will make a different difference in each spot.

According to my Duncan amp tools program it does have a different pin out. Perhaps because its pin 9 it doesnt matter? Maybe my program is incorrect? Bob

12DT8-
1 = a''
2 = g''
3 = k''
4 = h
5 = h
6 = a
7 = g
8 = k
9 = Shield

12AX7
1 = a''
2 = g''
3 = k''
4 = h
5 = h
6 = a
7 = g
8 = k
9 = H tap

Last edited:

rockon1

Since pin 9 is a shield and not a center tap on the 12DT8 it will not run on 6.3v like a 12AT7, The 12DT8 only runs on 12.6v. The 12AT7 has pin 9 as a center tap so it can run on 6.3v or 12.6v for the filament. IOW, you can't run a 12DT8 in a socket wired for 6.3v operation.

Info here:

http://www.nj7p.org/Tube4.php?tube=12dt8
Ah,so it is different but will still work. Bob

SatelliteAmps

TDSL diagram looks like pin 9 is center tapped. It's not. So if you just stick it in a socket for a 12AX7, then it won't have even voltage to light the heaters, and basically won't work. If you rewire the filaments, and have a 12v supply, then it will work without changing the amplifier circuit.

Trout

This is one of those, why bother tubes, especially if you only have 1 of them.

Save it until you have a bunch of not worth the effort tubes and brush up on your target shooting with a BB gun, (Don't shoot your eye out)

rockon1

This is one of those, why bother tubes, especially if you only have 1 of them.

Save it until you have a bunch of not worth the effort tubes and brush up on your target shooting with a BB gun, (Don't shoot your eye out)
I have a whole box of NOS Tung Sol black plate tubes that are basically worthless. I couldnt do that to them though! Bob

Trending Topics