• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Four hour gig last night

KiddBilly

I've been skipping back and forth again between three and four hour gigs for awhile now, but Indiana-Kentucky are further along opening back up things then other states. And haven't had to take any major steps back.

There was one point where I was playing four hour gigs that went till two morning on Saturday nights consistently, and getting up at six that same morning to go rehearse and play a Sunday morning contemporary "worship band" gig. After playing Friday as well and usually a weekday gig in there too. You talk about running on absolutely nothing! The pandemic put a solid three or four month break to that and I was able to catch up on some major sleep debt. The only upside of the whole deal I can think of.

goldwax

I haven’t played a show since February but I would be very hesitant to play one anytime soon. I just tested positive for COVID-19 this morning. I work from home, stay away from people outside my family, wash my hands, wear masks and all that stuff. Still caught it and it sucks. No clue where I got it. Most like grocery shopping, the super market or the post office.
I don’t know why anyone would put themselves or their loved ones at risk if they didn’t have to.

MJ Slaughter

Is what some are calling 4 hour gigs actually 3 hours performing with 2 30 minute breaks? That's normal around here for most venues. If you are performing for 4 hours that sounds like a marathon. My 6-7 piece dance/party band plays (pre-covid) 3 hours of music with 2 breaks then we break it all down and load it up. It's all fun but once I get home I'm beat.

Since my big band hasn't been playing, even private gigs have canceled, my acoustic duo has done a fair amount of playing. We make at least as much in the duo and tips are great. Setup and breakdown is easy, my ears don't hurt and we don't break a sweat. Not sure how anxious I am to start up the other band now.

As for covid and how it's handled in my area, Dallas and Collin County TX, venues have been careful to follow the social distancing rules or they risk being shut down as many bars in Dallas have been. We wear masks to setup and when on breaks as long as we're in the venue and I've felt reasonably safe. The only time I didn't feel that safe was Thursday where my wife and I went to vote. Everyone kept distance outside in line but once inside they had too many people IMO but everyone wore masks the correct way. When leaving I saw a couple waiting in line wearing chin diapers. I would have left if I had seen that going on inside.

jackson

After being shut out since March, I played a 4 hour rowdy outdoor party in early September, and at age 64 I can say no more. 4th set my ears were shot and load out was plain tiresome. A couple weeks ago I did a two hour outdoor gig that was perfect.
I haven't been out on a gig since early March, and I'm surprised that I don't really miss it. Same age as you and I don't think I'm going back. Typical gig for me was 1hr drive - 1 1/2 setup - 4 hours on - 1 hr tear down - 1 hr drive home. I must really enjoy playing, to put up with that nonsense :> , at barely minimum wage.

guitarman3001

Is what some are calling 4 hour gigs actually 3 hours performing with 2 30 minute breaks? That's normal around here for most venues. If you are performing for 4 hours that sounds like a marathon. My 6-7 piece dance/party band plays (pre-covid) 3 hours of music with 2 breaks then we break it all down and load it up. It's all fun but once I get home I'm beat.

Since my big band hasn't been playing, even private gigs have canceled, my acoustic duo has done a fair amount of playing. We make at least as much in the duo and tips are great. Setup and breakdown is easy, my ears don't hurt and we don't break a sweat. Not sure how anxious I am to start up the other band now.

As for covid and how it's handled in my area, Dallas and Collin County TX, venues have been careful to follow the social distancing rules or they risk being shut down as many bars in Dallas have been. We wear masks to setup and when on breaks as long as we're in the venue and I've felt reasonably safe. The only time I didn't feel that safe was Thursday where my wife and I went to vote. Everyone kept distance outside in line but once inside they had too many people IMO but everyone wore masks the correct way. When leaving I saw a couple waiting in line wearing chin diapers. I would have left if I had seen that going on inside.

For me a 4 hour gig is four 45-50 minute sets with three 15-20 minute breaks. Sometimes we'll do three longer sets with only two breaks.

guitarman3001

I haven't been out on a gig since early March, and I'm surprised that I don't really miss it. Same age as you and I don't think I'm going back. Typical gig for me was 1hr drive - 1 1/2 setup - 4 hours on - 1 hr tear down - 1 hr drive home. I must really enjoy playing, to put up with that nonsense :> , at barely minimum wage.
Personally I love playing gigs. My usual gig hours were the same as yours. I've averaged out our pay over the number of hours I actually spent loading, unloading, setting up, tearing down, driving, playing, etc... and it usually worked out to anywhere between $5 and $12 per hour. Occasionally we'd land a good gig that paid as much as $800 for a 5-piece band but even that was usually offset because they were farther away, sometimes as far as 3 hour drive each way. So...back to about $6/hr per person. Oh, and then subtract food and drinks from that.

The way I always looked at it was that I basically play for free. What they're paying me for is all the other crap.

scopa

Gold Supporting Member
First four hour since March. We’ve done a few shorter, 2-3 hour gigs, but this was the first “full length”.
It was so good to get out and play a bunch of songs. The fourth set was a reminder of how tired you can get playing, and packing up was brutal. Ready to go again, though :)

It must of felt good to get out there. A few more times to shake off the rust, and maybe things can start to get back to normal. Cheers!

xrcdan

Do people still not realize that the healthy population needs to be exposed to slow the spread? That's how these things work. The healthy, most mobile population becomes exposed, gets over it, and no longer is a risk.

This breaks the chain of transmissibility.

It seems that everyone has forgotten the point of all of this.

The lock downs and masks programwas designed to SLOW the spread, to allow the medical systems to not become overwhelmed.

There is no stopping a viral disease. There is no, "if we do our part.. It'll go away. That's not reality.

That's how we end up 8 months in, and everyone is still acting like they were in March.

People NEED to adjust to the new reality. We have done it for EONS.... That isn't changing now.

Everytime someone posts about doing normal things people do in life, they are getting chastised and virtue signaled into oblivion. It's old. The world is still spinning.

It's not a third wave. It's fall. It's the season for viral diseases. What flu "wave" are we on? Wave 100 million?

Just like with every other seasonal disease, the counter needs to be reset to ZERO and start over. But because covid is a political point now, it won't be reset. Many people are struck watching that number ticking higher and higher, and confirmation bias takes hold.

Strange times.
your argument makes no sense . in your first paragraph you say people should be exposed , they get over it then not be at risk. in your next to last paragraph you say we are on 100 million wave of flu , what happened to being exposed and not being at risk (people have been exposed for centuries thus we shouldn't be on our 100 millionth wave) and lets not skip your last paragraph where you say it's seasonal ( when did it stop during the late spring and summer), it's not, thats why the numbers continue to climb. rant away!

rowdyyates

Silver Supporting Member
Well, dang. I purposefully started this thread outside the Pub, hoping to avoid the “you’re gonna die and kill thousands of others” crowd, but alas, it was not to be.

Can we keep it on gigs?

One thing we did several years ago was go to in ears and a silent stage, except for drums. It made a very noticeable difference in fatigue level at the end of the night.

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
I've done 2 outdoor, socially distanced gigs over the past month. They were cabaret-style shows backing a different singer each time. This coming week, I'm starting 3 weeks of shows at the Zach Scott theater in Austin -- that are being played outside the theater. The audience will be sitting in separate pods. Tickets are super expensive, with the best pods going for $433 each (seats up to 6). There are 3 separate shows, each one being performed 6 times over 5 days. Most of the shows are sold out. People are hungry for live entertainment I guess.

I've got another cabaret show the week after the last theater show -- also outdoors. No chance I'm doing an indoor bar gig.

Luckily, all of these shows are short -- a little over an hour.

By far one of the worst gig schedules I ever had was a weekend where I had a Friday night 11-3 gig, then a Saturday afternoon 1-5 gig, then a saturday night 6-10 gig with another band at a venue literally across the street from the 1-5 gig, then a Sunday gig. By the time Saturday night's gig rolled around I literally could not play the intro to Sweet Child and after two blown attempts just said f*ck it and moved on to the next song. Oh, and both Saturday gigs were outdoors in South Florida in the middle of summer.
I've done several double-headers: Two 4-hour gigs on the same day, always with one of them requiring a PA load-in and out. And every time I do that, I swear I'll never agree to play 2 gig on the same day again. But then someone asks.....

I've learned some lessons about getting back to gigging after a 7 month lay-off. That's a subject for another thread.

Madison

Yeah I'm barely hanging in there. Since the last gig I haven't even played my strat or tele, only acoustic guitar. Could be a sign, lol.

guitarman3001

Yeah I'm barely hanging in there. Since the last gig I haven't even played my strat or tele, only acoustic guitar. Could be a sign, lol.
I've actually spent more time buying new gear than playing. Right before everything shut down I joined a new band. Literally auditioned and got the spot about two weeks or so before the shutdown. We had a bunch of high profile gigs booked between March and August. All of them got canceled. We've had a couple of outdoor rehearsals since but after I crammed for the audition and learned a bunch of songs, I've since forgotten a whole bunch of them. But I've acquired a ton of new gear! Hopefully I'll get to use it one of these days.

Echoplexi

Gold Supporting Member
Thinking about playing a 4 hour gig seems wild to me. I’ve always been in a rock/metal band doing originals, usually 3-4 band bills where each band gets 35-40 minutes, with the headliner about an hour. I can set up/break down my rig fast as hell at least haha.

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
Platinum Supporting Member
Ladies and gents - one infraction has been given. Several posts deleted that cited the originally deleted post. Clean it up, or additional reported posts will cause the thread to be locked and/or deleted.

rowdyyates

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks. Back to gigging - I’ve never done a one hour gig. I think I’d feel like I was just getting started.

NashSG

Did some 2-3 sets playing in cover bands, but had much more experience playing in original bands which rarely ever go over an hour as a set.

I'd love to play in some type of heavy/hard rock jam band and really stretch out, but I have had pretty sxxt luck over the years finding a band that will follow through on anything let alone do that much work.

I'd probably get pretty bored playing the old cover band nuggets 4 hours a night.

juxtapolice

Silver Supporting Member
I think the hardest thing, personally, is I can't really make much money at home (only online lessons). All my income pre pandemic was from live shows. I find myself in this precarious position now, it's tough to except gigs if conditions aren't right yet it's hard to turn down money and government benefits are slipping. I've said this before but as a gig worker the work is getting the work, doing a great job for a year to be offered or ascertain another year of gigs and hopefully more. Myself like many musicians almost know what we are making before we make it, it's one of the exposed failures of the entertainment industry imo, we didn't create fail-safes to protect working artists. That said, I hope that a means to provide entertainment safely will become sustainable cause it's looking dicey. Also, wishing a speedy recovery, I had it in February and it was no picnic
I haven’t played a show since February but I would be very hesitant to play one anytime soon. I just tested positive for COVID-19 this morning. I work from home, stay away from people outside my family, wash my hands, wear masks and all that stuff. Still caught it and it sucks. No clue where I got it. Most like grocery shopping, the super market or the post office.
I don’t know why anyone would put themselves or their loved ones at risk if they didn’t have to.

Trending Topics