• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Four hour gig last night

FoundIt

Silver Supporting Member
I used to play out regular...and then I got old. I figured if I was 50 and not a Rolling Stone, the heyday was over. I don't look good in spandex, not that I ever really wore it. I stopped and started a sound/light company with the gear I had accumulated. Local band hired me to work JUST for them. Started doing that around 2005. Figured it would be fine for retirement but they did too well. When I started they had been making $3-400 a night for a 5 piece band and I though who cares as long as I get paid. But after I worked with them about a year, the show was polished and started making about $1100-1200 for a bar show. Then we got hired for the Venetian in Vegas, and then upstate NY, and then FL. Suddenly I was really busy and I had started all this because I was old and tired. I was also about to retire from day gig at NASA. I was going the wrong direction in my retirement years. Had some good pay for a while. Some shows were as much as $7500 a night for the band. Not headliners, but hey, a bar band? Anyway, I suddenly found myself in my late 50's and working my ass off for these shows. Get there (wherever that was), 4-6 hours of setup time to hang lasers and scanners and moving heads, prime the hazer, fly the truss, wrangle frequencies for 5 Crown 311 headsets, five sets of ears, and tune the system for the room IRs. Do a 4 hour show. Tear down and load out for 2 hours and go home. Then I started getting tired easily and found out I had stage 4 emphysema so I retired for real at 60. They wanted to give me a raise to stay but I told him I needed lungs more than money. $300 a night was good pay for a soundman, but you gotta breath. Stopped for the last few years and find that even sick I missed it too much. So back to playing guitar. Let others do the heavy lifting and I will just show and play. Looking forward to those EASY 4 hour shows instead of the hours I was doing. We spent the last two years in rehearsal and were ready to go April...and then COVID hit. No bars anywhere within a day of here are doing shows. We don't play weddings, or churches. We do biker bar stuff and that just isn't happening. We had to stop for three months, couldn't even rehearse. Now we are back trying to relearn and tighten up what we had down before. I am never going to complain about a long night again. If the gear is ready when I get there, and I can leave after the last note, life is good. Money is not important to me in retirement, but damn I miss the playing. So now I am 67 and playing in a nu-metal alternative band. I have yet to imagine how thats gonna look to people. Geezers just short of wheelchairs playing everything from Chevelle to Volbeat, Staind, Pearl Jam, Audioslave. I love it. Finally learning new-to-me music. Kids round here tell me "who cares as long as you can play?" We'll see if thats true. Enjoy it while you can, even if its 4 hour shows for low pay because some day you are gonna tell yourself life was good back then. And then you will fall asleep in the rocking chair again. Off my soapbox, and back to the rocker. Wake me up when it's time to go on....

Last edited:

HERSCHEL

Good to hear.

All of my masks are N95s. I buy them on-line for my family and me a hundred at a time for $70/box.

>> if you are not already suffering some kind of major health issue your chances of dying from Covid-19 are slim to none.

After 34 years as an EPA enforcement attorney, I know that risk assessment is a cold and hard discipline. Our individual risks of dying in a bicycle crash are also miniscule (especially per ride) but most of us still wear helmets because low probability of harm X large potential effects if harmed = take the indicated precaution.

Also, you're not wearing your mask primarily to protect yourself. You're wearing it to protect others.

And we also know that droplets and aerosols are created and sprayed far more heavily by people singing, especially if they're like me - a wild rock screamer! - than in more typical situations where people are merely breathing and/or speaking at normal voice levels.

Finally, the plural of anecdote is not data.
But I know a guy who says.....

PatriotBadger

Good gawd with the covid stuff, so sick of hearing about it everywhere all the time and especially here in a place that is supposed to be an escape. It is what it is. Third wave, fourth wave, perpetual waves....whatever. We can be cautious and careful to the point of paranoia, but the virus isn't just going away and you can't hide from it for the rest of your life (well you could, I guess, but have fun with that). It's a virus. It goes everywhere, it morphs, it does all the things a virus does.

Just tired of the paternal posts - yeah, we get it already - and the self-righteous 'look how smart I am and how dumb that guy is' posts. Ugh.

Carry on.

jackson

Good gawd with the covid stuff, so sick of hearing it everywhere and especially here in a place that is supposed to be an escape. It is what it is. Third wave, fourth wave, perpetual waves....whatever. We can be cautious and careful to the point of paranoia, but they virus isn't just going away and you can't hide from it for the rest of your life (well you could, I guess, but have fun with that). It's a virus. It goes everywhere, it morphs, it does all the things a virus does.

Just tired of the paternal posts - yeah, we get it already - and the self-righteous 'look how smart I am and how dumb that guy is' posts. Ugh.

Carry on.
Please don't post misleading or unproven information. You should leave epidemiology to the epidemiologists.

clarkram

I have a gig scheduled for Halloween at a medium sized indoor venue.
I played there 8/21, 3 hours, no problems.

On the upside it has sound and a large stage so I can stay in my own little world. Also has a series of elevated fans on the backside of the stage always blowing onto the audience.

On the downside I expect a large crowd, but I can avoid mixing in.
In this area I expect no masks (Jasper Ga).

I have very mixed feelings about playing this gig. If I pull the plug I need to do it in the next day or so. The venue will have no problem getting another band.

#BadassBill ? has played there recently.

comments and observations welcome.

MikeMcK

Gold Supporting Member
First four hour since March. We’ve done a few shorter, 2-3 hour gigs, but this was the first “full length”.
It was so good to get out and play a bunch of songs. The fourth set was a reminder of how tired you can get playing, and packing up was brutal. Ready to go again, though :)
Yeah, especially now that it's getting colder around here. I had a double yesterday (both outdoors), and I supply the PA for the full-band gig (the second one). Blew power and spent an unscheduled 15-minute break only to find out it was my Furman's circuit breaker (unbeknownst to me, our bass player had plugged in a personal heater... yeah). Since we'd had that unscheduled break and there was a good crowd, that was our break even though I spent it trying to figure out what happened.

I also thought it was a 3-hour gig and only found out at the end of the third hour. And oh yeah, just to top it off, what do you want to do when you can barely feel your fingers from the cold? A 3-song EVH tribute, of course.

But just like the rest of you, I'd gladly do it all over again today if I had the chance. What is wrong with us?

PatriotBadger

Please don't post misleading or unproven information. You should leave epidemiology to the epidemiologists.
I'm not going to get into an 'Internet Special Olympics' over this, but....I posted nothing misleading or unproven. We have these stubborn things called science and history and knowledge. Viruses....do virus things. They always have, they always will. It's a fact. They morph - fact. Covid has already done it, fortunately it seems so far to have no effect on lethality. You can't hide from them, at least not forever - fact (see previous post from the guy who got it after taking all precautions and staying at home). It goes everywhere. We have a history of every studied virus doing virus things - fact. This isn't epidemiologist stuff. It's common knowledge and has been for a very long time. I don't need a botanist to tell me my lillies are going to bloom.

jackson

I'm not going to get into an 'Internet Special Olympics' over this, but....I posted nothing misleading or unproven. We have these stubborn things called science and history and knowledge. Viruses....do virus things. They always have, they always will. It's a fact. They morph - fact. Covid has already done it, fortunately it seems so far to have no effect on lethality. You can't hide from them, at least not forever - fact (see previous post from the guy who got it after taking all precautions and staying at home). It goes everywhere. We have a history of every studied virus doing virus things - fact. This isn't epidemiologist stuff. It's common knowledge and has been for a very long time. I don't need a botanist to tell me my lillies are going to bloom.
Viruses do virus things? Good to know. I suggest that you stay in your lane. This is a new virus, so you can't assume anything.

DewieCox

Silver Supporting Member
One thing we did several years ago was go to in ears and a silent stage, except for drums. It made a very noticeable difference in fatigue level at the end of the night.
Was always interesting to me. A body’s defenses for fending of high spl must be extremely taxing. Whether a 4 hour outdoor gig or a couple hours of rehearsal on a cushy living room, if it was loud then I felt like I was in a fender bender. Ear plugs were a God’s send and if I ever get back to gigging it will be with IEM.

Was always interesting to me. A body’s defenses for fending of high spl must be extremely taxing. Whether a 4 hour outdoor gig or a couple hours of rehearsal on a cushy living room, if it was loud then I felt like I was in a fender bender. Ear plugs were a God’s send and if I ever get back to gigging it will be with IEM.
I play at church with them and I’d kill for wedges again. All the energy is filtered out, the feel of sound waves hitting you from all angles, passing through the air collecting ambience traded for thin unresponsive sound.

Of course that’a just my take; I know guys who love in ears. If I were singing I’d want at least one in to make sure I hear myself but for guitar I’d prefer big speakers.

Maggot

When I played punk sets were about 30 minutes. Had to leave room for the other 3 or 4 bands on the bill.
Same here. 30-45 minutes. When we started getting occasional "real" (making tolerable $$) gigs, we'd do a couple of 45 - 60 minute sets and get an opening band. We could play the cover band tunes, but no one's gonna want to hear me sing for 4 hours. A couple of hours max is quite enough me. I like doing the 40 minute originals set. Some length as a vinyl album. Leaves em wanting more!

Blue Bee

Probably over 20. I've lost count. 10 of my Friends caught it on Mackinaw Island in Michigan 2 weeks ago when they all went up for a gig one of them had. It spread as far as Nashville before they showed symptoms, so who know how many that 10 spread to?
4 of them that I know of are in the hospital. 1 of them has come home so far. I saw pictures of them on the Island hamming it up for the camera with no masks on and in close contact. My Friend that left the hospital said at one time they were all in a hotel room together without masks. 2 of these people are x band mates of mine.
What was the age group of those hospitalized?

-sku-

A two hours gig usually drains me especially if it's loud.
Can't imagine what a 4 hours gig feels like but I think that after it I would really need a drink or two.

PatriotBadger

Viruses do virus things? Good to know. I suggest that you stay in your lane. This is a new virus, so you can't assume anything.
Aw hell, you're probably right. I mean the science of virology just started yesterday, right? Might as well disregard every piece of previous research and history, how could it possibly help. I mean, this virus is new and different, we'll just discard everything we learned since the Spanish flu, no way it could help in this day and age. I'm betting this virus turns out to be more like fermemted string cheese with a toe fetish
and a penchant for matzo balls.

Jim65

Do people still not realize that the healthy population needs to be exposed to slow the spread? That's how these things work. The healthy, most mobile population becomes exposed, gets over it, and no longer is a risk.

This breaks the chain of transmissibility.

It seems that everyone has forgotten the point of all of this.

The lock downs and masks programwas designed to SLOW the spread, to allow the medical systems to not become overwhelmed.

There is no stopping a viral disease. There is no, "if we do our part.. It'll go away. That's not reality.

That's how we end up 8 months in, and everyone is still acting like they were in March.

People NEED to adjust to the new reality. We have done it for EONS.... That isn't changing now.

Everytime someone posts about doing normal things people do in life, they are getting chastised and virtue signaled into oblivion. It's old. The world is still spinning.

It's not a third wave. It's fall. It's the season for viral diseases. What flu "wave" are we on? Wave 100 million?

Just like with every other seasonal disease, the counter needs to be reset to ZERO and start over. But because covid is a political point now, it won't be reset. Many people are struck watching that number ticking higher and higher, and confirmation bias takes hold.

Strange times.
To achieve herd immunity, 70% of the population needs to get infected. With a mortality rate of .65%, more than 2 million Americans will die.

guitarman3001

To achieve herd immunity, 70% of the population needs to get infected. With a mortality rate of .65%, more than 2 million Americans will die.
If the "herd immunity" proponents are willing to volunteer to go out and deliberately get themselves infected, then go home and infect their own families, I'm all for it! But when they start wanting to sacrifice everyone else except their own families, that's a problem.

Trending Topics