four-way switch for Tele with Fred Stuart Blackguards

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jbd3, Feb 29, 2012.

1. jbd3

jbd3 Please Don't Sell Me Any More Gear Silver Supporting Member

Hey all. I've got a set of Fred Stuart Blackguards I'm going to put in a Tele. I've never tried a 4-way switch on a Tele so I thought I might give it a try. Does anyone do a kit with pots and a switch? I'd assume I'd want 250k pots? Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  2. jbd3

3. Wildwind

Wildwind Silver Supporting Member

I have a Warmoth blackguard Tele, running DiMarzio Areas. Four-way switch, which I think came from StewMac. It was in a Fender package.

Very cool option, IMO. I often use the fourth position, which is very fat and powerful and distinguishes itself nicely from the usual Tele setup.

Pots are 250K, seem well-matched. I remember finding a kit that had the switch, pots, etc., but it seemed pricey, like you were paying for the convenience. I live near Elderly - they carried the kit, but I'm sure you can get it elsewhere.

4. kanderson

kanderson Member

Tundra Tone has one for $65. I ordered one and installed it. Great components and you pick the tone cap you want. Very good customer service too.

5. jbd3

Regarding caps to go with the Blackguards, any Tele gurus have strong feelings on .047uf vs .05uf?

Also, RS Guitarworks has a 280k volume pot. Anyone tried it? I suppose it would be a tiny bit "brighter," maybe?

6. kanderson

kanderson Member

I can't comment on the 280k pot but I'll chime in on the .047uf. I don't think the difference in .047uf and .05uf will be much of a difference in sound. I had 500k pots in my tele previously and it was really bright, but when I dropped a .047 "greenie" cap in it really helped tame the brightness. Now I have the TundraTone 4 way kit installed with 250k pots and a .047uf tone cap. It really changed the tone of my guitar to where the tone control doesn't really do much for me now. To be honest, I wish the kit came with 500k pots so I could utilize my tone control again for a wider range of brightness.

7. TStrat99

TStrat99 Member

I've got a 4 way in my tele. Got it from Acme guitar works all wired up and ready to go for $50. Comes with a .047uf cap, but I'm sure you could ask for a .05uf if you'd like. Works perfect. Really clean wiring job.

8. bazooka47

bazooka47 Member

I have always considered .047 and .05 caps in guitar wiring to be interchangeable.

9. jbd3

They may well be. Any adventurous souls out there, it would be cool to record the same guitar with each cap, to actually compare.... Like many of you, I tend to think about stuff like that more than I ought, but it's fun to do.