Fox "analyst" on solar power...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Turbo Gerbil, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobbyJoe

BobbyJoe Senior Member

I love it. The US debt doesn't exist, the fact that this country can't even pay the interest on the debt doesn't exist, that we will probably default as a nation, doesn't exist. It's an amazing combination of logic, denial, and lack of education. Yet you guys vote. That's the kicker.

2. djdrdave

djdrdave Member

There is a radiation oncology center in Germany that is being ran with the aid of solar power. It supplements it.

There is no question we should just power everything with nuclear power. A few accidents and the relatively few number of people that die when there are problems shouldn't outweigh it's great benefit to society.

People are scared because they lack the scientific education to understand things.

3. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

You are having an argument that the rest of us are not having, and you accuse us of being undereducated?

No one is suggesting that the US does not have debt. No one is suggesting that the debt the US has is not concerning. I am not sure where you are coming up with the idea that we cannot afford to pay the interest on the debt, but that might be more of a quibbling point based on governmental accounting and allocation of revenues.

You earlier mischaracterized what supply side economics are, and were rightly called on it.

You claim that your political science (Bachelor's, I assume) gives you special insight into economics. The fact that you have a college education is laudable, but hardly novel or unique. Your political science degree no more equips you to understand the economy than my film degree, or even my law degree.

We have also pointed out that there is historical evidence for the notion that Keynesian policies have benefited the overall economy, whereas supply side economics have been rightly deemed "voodoo economics" and proven to not work.

Given this latter bit, there is room for a robust policy argument concerning government expenditure in the face of private sector economic contraction, even concerning its wisdom. But this is pretty heady economics, and despite the fact that I, and smiert, and some others posting here have advanced degrees, I feel pretty certain that no one posting here is possessed of sufficient expertise in the field of economics to have this sort of debate in a manner that does not either alienate or confuse the readers of the thread, or cross the line into forbidden political territory.

It is indeed a worthwhile debate to have, but the current debt is not an immediate crisis facing the nation. It did not spring up overnight. It will not be handled overnight. Also, cutting government spending alone is not a reasonable solution to it based on rational studies of the debt and spending. And dramatically curtailing government outlay in a rickety, slow or no growth economy seems tailormade to create a double dip recession.

4. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

What are all the same? News organizations? If you are including Fox News then you are one of their honey boobboo watching zombies. No well read, intelligent person takes Fox News seriously.

5. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

$20 says Bobby Joe watches Fox News.

6. korby

korby Member

Thats hilarious but you forgot this . :sarcasm

7. Quantum Cat

Quantum Cat Member

The safety record of nuclear power is as good or better than most other industries. The least safest is agriculture. Do we ban that?

Keynes vs supply side boils down to who gets to decide how money is spent. Does each of us decide how to spend our own money or do we allow someone else to do that for us?

And Smiert, really? Not paying taxes is a transfer of wealth?

8. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

If you think I'm being sarcastic, does that mean you take Fox News seriously?

9. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Omg, I've stepped in a pile of Fox News watchers.

Everybody got their automatic weapons handy? The nanny state helicopters are coming to take your guns away! Head for the hills! Protect your encampments!

10. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

What is your position on government subsidies for nuclear power and the petroleum industry?

11. cjcayea

cjcayea cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce

i dont know - the product these networks offer is pretty potent. they take a belief system, polarize it, reinforce it, and vindicate it. then the opposing view, which is itself caricatured and distilled, is projected as some far left/right boogie man. im not comfortable saying that fox is the only network doing harm. i think all the networks, where ratings and profit are paramount, share an equal portion of blame in driving a wedge into society. the term "news" does not mean what it once did.

12. Quantum Cat

Quantum Cat Member

Wow! Some propagandist has gotten ahold of you big time.

13. scottl

scottl Member

What subsidies for the energy sector? I am an expert in energy infrastructure companies and there are no special subsidies I am aware of. They do get to depreciate their assets the same as any other company, but much of what I read is utter misrepresentation and propaganda. On the other hand, there are massive handouts and subsidies for renewables. Actual big $$ handed out. That is a subsidy by definition.

14. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

The thing is, nuclear, coal, petroleum, etc aren't going anywhere anytime soon. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't be looking for better, less harmful and more efficient ways to get the energy we need. There will be missteps along the way.

Is it bad to want cars to get better mileage, for example? Why would you want to spend more on gas to travel X miles, no matter what the price is at the pump?

15. scottl

scottl Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.