Foxrox Aquavibe

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by shakti, Jan 17, 2008.

1. shakti

shakti Member

2. scotty31

scotty31 Supporting Member

looks like it is a straight copy of the cc2 vibe, which is/was probably the best vibe goin around.

only think that has changed is the ecs switch for envelope speed.
    also no volume control outside.

the internal bright trimmer is a cool option.

3. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I have a cc2 (my second one), but I have never tweaked any of the internal trimpots (been a while since I read the manual, but I was just using it last night, the actual pedal) and note that the Aqua has input impedance trimmers...I tend to like my vibe sound darker but not muffled, I HATE when it thins and gets too trebly.

It took me a while to get to know the CC2 vibe, and use it where I love it now. Very tweakable...almost too much.

Smart move on the Aqua moving volume to internal trimmer...at least my experience is that it is usually a set and forget, no matter what. In my experience if you like unity, or less than, or more than...you tend to set it and leave it so no point in being on the outside.

Also, power is different...DC 9v in on the aqua...(don't remember if it is 9 or 12, or more volts on the CC2 but it is AC...) so they have to use special voltage doubling (I guess a few times) to get up to 24 Vdc.
    That could mean sounding a little different than the CC2 vibe.

I like also the idea of a vibe from Foxrox (assuming as good or better than CC2's) that is a single vibe, so I can use other Fuzz /Octave if I want.

But, no price yet, not available.

4. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

There's trimmers inside? Maybe that's why I've never bonded with the CC2.:jo

It looks great.

5. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

I want one! I've been looking for a new vibe anyways!

Brian

6. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

Well, even though I have a CC2, which has kept me from wanting any of the hip new vibes out there, me wantie.

7. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Yes! Yes! Yes!
    [​IMG]

8. Sunstone Recordings

Sunstone Recordings Member

9. DK207

DK207 Member

Looks cool, but an external volume control would be a nice addition.

10. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

There's really no reason the chorus / vibe couldn't be footswitchable. For that alone, not interested, even though Dave makes killer stuff.

11. dancehall

dancehall Member

I don't see myself ever using chorus and vibe at the same time, or even in the same song, so it looks good to me

12. JCM 800

JCM 800 Member

Fox has been quiet for too long. This is great!

13. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

14. TweedBassman

TweedBassman Member

15. Sunstone Recordings

Sunstone Recordings Member

16. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

W/ my CC provibe, it was always a little quiet on the vibrato setting. The volume knob would come in handy when switching back and forth. I wonder if this new unit solves these things?

17. dbx

dbx Member

Nice...I wonder if the thimble shrouds are vintage NOS ;)

18. Dave Fox

Dave Fox Senior Pedalmaker

Let me address those concerns, because I've spent a lot of time contemplating these things. I've been using vibes since I cloned my first one back in 1989, and I gig at least 70 times a year so my decisions are based on that experience.

1) No external volume control (it's on a trimmer inside).The only time I touch the Volume knob on a vibe is to return it to it's proper setting after it gets knocked out of place. On the Aquavibe, I have tweaked the resistor values to make it so that the Chorus and Vibrato levels are the same, so switching modes does not require a level tweak.

2) Ch/Vb on a foot switch. I thought about doing that a long time ago but decided against it because, IMO, the settings that sound good for Chorus don't always sound good for Vibrato. If I was going to have a second foot switch on a vibe pedal, it would do something else. If you want a Ch/Vb foot switch, Bob Sweet's Ultravibe does it. So does the Dunlop Univibe.

19. Dave Fox

Dave Fox Senior Pedalmaker

I use the best sounding thimble money can buy (Singer thimble 3-pack, $1.69).

I started using thimbles back in 2000 when I was making the original Captain Coconut, it's perfect for the job. I continued with CC2. My wife snatches up all the thimbles at the supermarket when she shops. It's my fault that old ladies in Wayne NJ are putting pins into their fingers - I've been consuming all of the thimbles in this town for the past 8 years!

Help!I'maRock! likes this.
  20. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

You mean you actually Thought this pedal out??? And used it on gigs??? Who would have ever thought..So I guess it is safe to say you didn't just reach inside an old provibe and blindly pull out some parts and make it work.:D
    Looks Good Dave.I look forward to hearing your new TOY.It looks to be Ultra cool and will for sure have a mega vibe to it I loved the Provibe.Dejavu dude.
    Take care,Keith