FoxRox hot silicon fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by steve gray, Feb 21, 2009.

1. steve gray

steve gray Member

I was wondering what you guys thought of this pedal. i did search the forum but want to hear more about it. I am looking for an old school "hey hey my my" type of fuzz, i also love the Wattson super fuzz, but the clarity of chords is kind of a worry. I am also intrested in the MJM China fuzz, but i dont have a dealer in my area. I play fender mustangs loaded with Fralin vintage hots through a divided by 13 LDW which is similar to a marshall plexi. So based on that maybe you guys can sway me into one direction or the other. Also I like the Fox tone machine but i have read that its isnt that reliable and breaks down easy.

2. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Great pedal. I have clips on my youtube site.

3. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Supporting Member

The Hot silicon is a Fuzz Face based fuzz pedal. It would get you close to that "Hey, hey" tone, but I don't think that any of the pedals that you mention would nail it to a tee. It's the sound of a cranked tweed deluxe and an octaver.

4. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

FoxRox hot silicon. It's a VERY assertive BC109C Fuzz Face replica with a bias ("Grit") knob that's very effective for achieving a wide variety of timbres. It's not exactly "vintage" sounding, but has lots of gain and tons of sustain.

5. Wilbo26

Wilbo26 Member

I have that card in my CC2 and I love it. With the grit control cranked all the way clockwise its gloriously splattery and beautiful. But as mentioned above you can also tone it down and get smoother sounds. If you want a Si fuzz face that or the '70 fuzz from Fulltone are where I would start. Not sure if that's exactly what you're looking for though.

6. steve gray

steve gray Member

i had the 70 pedal but it sounded to modern for me, like the gain was almost 90s sounding

7. Wilbo26

Wilbo26 Member

I thought it absolutely nailed Gilmour's sound from the Time solo. Results probably vary wildly depending on what amp/guitar was used though, as is the case with most fuzz boxes.

8. steve gray

steve gray Member

well also what type of music you play as well.. with what i do, the wrong tone can make it sound almost like nirvana. I am sure when used to play floyd it works, but i use alot of power chords you know so i have to be careful what i am using.