Foxrox Octron, opinions and (possible) settings wanted.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Moushegh, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Moushegh

Moushegh Member

What do you guys think of the Octron?

I've had mine for a month now and I do like it alot, I think it's a *great* octave unit. The up is very Hendrixy and the down is pretty cool too, for different sounds - also, the combination of the up and down sound pretty darn impressive as well.

However, I'm a bit confused with the 'direct' control.
    I definetly notice a change in tone, but I don't necessarily hear a clean octave (used by itself). Is it just very subtle or is it designed to be used more in conjunction with the up and/or down or what?

Also, I was wondering if you guys had any settings that you wouldn't mind sharing?

Thanks guys!

2. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

First...just to mention, I found out I liked it better when I changed to jumper in the unit for the up octave.

You have to play with the knobs to extremes, always, with a pedal where you have something you aren't sure of.

the "Direct" knob would have better been called a "mixer" button. Try this,
    set the octave down to 0 (counter-clockwise) all the way (take it out of the circuit) so you are only dealing with one thing.

Next turn up the up octave to 12 o'clock. Now trill a note on your guitar as you move the direct all the way clockwise. You should ONLY hear your regular guitar sound. Now move it to 12 o'clock. Should hear a mix between octave and regular guitar. All the way clockwise, you should hear ONLY the up octave. That's what it does.

Took me a while to get used to but basically, if you set all three knobs at 12 o'clock you will have: Unity gain, up octave, down octave, and unaffected guitar in equal parts, equally loud. As you turn the direct counter-clockwise you are hearing less and less of the octaves. Clockwise, less and less of the normal guitar.

Another experiment, the actual octave knobs have to do mostly (it seems to me) with loudness of the named octave. So 12 o'clock is about unity, (you can double check turn the knob clockwise all the way, the turn unit on and off...see if it is about the same loudness) so it is VERY flexible. You can mix a touch of bass octave, with a ton of up octave and a little normal guitar.

I personally like to have the barest touch of bass (like about 0730 o'clock) the direct at about 2 o'clock, and the up octave...anywhere from 11 to 3 or 4 o'clock.

Good luck!

3. Moushegh

Moushegh Member

Thanks for the settings SBB, and the great info.:AOK
    I've been inside box once, but have stuck to the default settings. I'll go back in there again with my amp turned up loud(er) and see what I hear.

4. John_M

John_M Member

Which way do clocks go in Norway? :)

At least on mine, full Clockwise is full CLEAN. Basically, the middle knob is the amount of direct signal mixed into the sound. I really cool setting is to max the direct signal and go at about noon or 2oclock on the hi octave with the low octave off. You'll hear a slight hi octave as the note decays. Gives a really cool ethereal like quality.

I kept the jumper on mine in stock "tame" mode. The other setting is supposed to be more Octavia or Ring Mod like. I've not tried it but am interested. I tweaked down the gain on the upper octave and mellowed the tone. I then found that I didn't like the way it sat in the mix so I put the tone back to stock and added a bit more gain to it. I would like to try to front mount these components, but that's a project.

monkmiles likes this.
  5. RickB

RickB Member

I have talked to Dave about this and the controls were kept inside to keep the price down. He said he is planning on a souped up version at some point where there will be more external controls as well as the ability to turn on or off each octave by foot.

I imagine it might be some time before we see it but anything from Dave is worth the wait.

6. Teahead

Teahead Member

Think of the Octron as a three channel mixer. You have your regular guitar sound (direct) the lower octave and the octave up. Simply blend and combine the three for the sound you want.

I also prefer the "Octavia" setting from the internal jumper. For riffs & huge leads, I like to use the lower octave at 70%, upper octave at 80% direct 100%. I also use it quite a bit with direct at 50% and upper octave 90%, to me this is where it responds best to volume & tone changes on the guitar.

7. gregovertone

gregovertone Member

i haven't opened mine up yet--
    are the controls labeled? easy to manipulate?

8. Teahead

Teahead Member

The jumper is pretty simple, just swap the red cover from one setting to the other, you'll see when you open it. Octave Up gain & tone are labelled so you'll see them.

9. Moushegh

Moushegh Member

It comes with a diagram, but as Teahead said, it's laid out in a user friendly manner. According to the said diagram, Dave is supposed to post som esettings on his website, not as of yet, though.

I don't think it takes too much tweaking to find some really cool sounds; it's somewhat of an easy pedal to use, I just wasn't sure abut the direct knob.

One thing ... it sounds incredible (l o n g singing sustain, feeback, noise [the good type] etc.) when I run it with my Foxey Fuzz (in front of the fuzz).:Devil:eek:

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Heh...yeah, sorry, that was from memory, and I played with mine last night and realized I'd better correct myself. Also you never quite get the octave completely gone, but generally what I mentioned is right, and you have to really spend a little time to find the combinations you like. You can get unity or a slight boost in signal when on, mix and match.

11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Another thing...placement is REALLY important when you have OD or Dist, and Wahs...

Last night I found a much more pleasing setting having it just after the wah, before the Distortion.

I'm not sure what the common wisdom is, but after distortion it just looses to much. The other thing, it really has a lot of interplay depending on hwo much distortion is set up.

One thing I love doing, which I found in the end how to set (though it is not a setting I can write down and use over again, have to set it by ear each time depending how other things are set) so that if I have a distortion on...and I hold a note, and THEN hit the footswitch and turn on the Octave (up only, or mostly) that it sounds "natural" like the note just turned into an octavey note. I know "bloom" set right can do this to, but that is with the unit on the whole time, for me it is really nice to have that note there, then hit the octave.

12. Teahead

Teahead Member

Yes, the Octron sounds best to me after wah & compresor, but befrore everything else. It works after overdrive & fuzz and it's a nasty, useful sound but you're not giving the Octron the best chance to track and react to guitar volume & tone changes.

fwiw...I've been putting my Octron up against a POG for the last week. The Octron beats the POG hands down, in every sense, as far as quality of the individual octaves goes. The tracking is smoother too. The magic in the POG comes from blending three or four octaves to get huge organ tones, the Low Pass Filter, which is well thought out and last but not least...the ability to play chords and still get the octaves...wow. I very well may keep both on my board.

13. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I know it is not considered good to mention is, but for lower octaves (but I like the higher octaves better) I was blown away, when you talk about tracking, but the OC-2. The tracking on that thing is so tight, I never even considered thinking about "tracking"....til I played some butique pedals and noticed them not tracking as well.

The Octron tracks really well too, but personally I think the lower octave OC-2 tracks a smidgen closer to the original tone.

But I love the Octron, it is on my board, and the OC-2 isn't, I only really use it in the studio.

That's not to imply it is an issue in the Octron, it really isn't..

14. arexjay

arexjay Member

Can the Octron give a clean octave up?

15. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

No, it can't. It's a nice, singing octave up though!

-Ben

16. Teahead

Teahead Member

I disagree, as I find the upper octave of the Octron to be very clean, when not set to "Octavia" mode of course. It's as clean an analog octave as I've ever heard anyway.

monkmiles likes this.
  17. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Perhaps because I'm using humbuckers and active singles I can't get that upper octave completely clean. When I spoke with Dave about this, he said that upper octave just can't get fundamentally clean clean because that's just the way of the circuit.

NOW- we all have different definitions of clean too... and to me, clean has absolutely no OD, clipping, 'sparkle', 'edge', 'hints of grit', 'touches of hair' (hmm... possible band names here), etc.

The other thing is that I had an early one, so pehaps the circuit changed over time as well.

-Ben

18. Teahead

Teahead Member

I don't think the upper octave has changed, the lower did though. Considering how it achieves the octave, I suppose it can't be completely clean by definition. But the internal gain really gives the cleanest analog octave you could hope for, compare it to the ZVex Jonny Octave for example.

19. Moushegh

Moushegh Member

You can always play with the gain (inside). I'm not really looking for a clean up, so I haven't really experimented with the gain set down low, but try it, it may be what yer looking for.:cool:

20. entraind

entraind Supporting Member

I'm with Ben C on this one. Even at the cleanest setting with single coils it has a bit of fuzz on it. Not nessesarily a bad thing, but not totally clean IMO.