Foxrox Octron Question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by CALI68, Oct 9, 2008.

1. CALI68

CALI68 Member

Hi, can anyone tell me the best place to put the Octron in the signal path? I usually have my CI Octavian (which I'm replacing with this) right after my Vibe but before my fuzz, distortion & od but the Foxrox manual confused me a bit so here I am.

I have this one:
    http://www.foxroxelectronics.com/octron1.html

Thanks!

-Chris

2. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Trial and error, but I like it much better in front of everything, like you do with your CI.

3. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

Just got an Octron last week myself.
    I have it 2nd in the chain, after my Carb.
    Leaving the Carb on brings the Octron to life for clean uppers, but I have a Tonefactor Huckleberry fuzz after the Octron for the crazier stuff.

I like it sandwiched between the two levels of drive.

4. mprvise

mprvise Member

Early in the chain seems to work best. Mine is second, right after my RC Booster. The RC seems to help it track better with weaker pickup guitars, and of course gives a nice solo boost.

5. CALI68

CALI68 Member

Thanks! There was a confusing line in the manual under "patching" that said,

"You can increase sustain and possibly improve tracking by patching a compressor, overdrive, or other gain device before Octron. ....Octron works best at the beginning of your signal chain, right after your guitar but it's always good to experiment"

-Chris

6. CALI68

CALI68 Member

Great info so far! Thanks!

-Chris

7. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

You may find the A-B switch for the upper octave gives you a totally unique sound and you can keep the Octavian too!

8. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Yep hang on to the Octavian. I run my Octron next to the wah or CC2 when I use it. I prefer the Octave in the CC2 or the Tyco for my Octavia sounds and just run the Octron stock settings that Dave applied for me.Talk about a head turner.I love that pedal..Have fun!

9. aeonlux

aeonlux Member

I use a Foxrox Octron2 right after my Diamond Compressor, early in the chain.

cheers,
    Ian

10. Cado

Cado Member

Hey Cali, first off Congrats on the OC81D MKII. Last month I picked up an Octron2. Although it hasn't made it on to the board yet (I'm waiting on a couple of pieces before I assemble its latest incarnation) I've conducted tests & it will be first in the chain. Octron with lower & upper octaves into a dimed MKII is INSANE!!!!!!

11. nek

nek Member

Your ears will tell you where it fits. I have mine before a Cornish G2 and all I can say is wow. Its so much more than just an octave pedal.

12. charmboy

charmboy Member

I have mine first in the chain; just before my picture wah and sunlion. I occasionally switch it with the wah but always have it before my fuzz, or any dirt for that matter.

13. CALI68

CALI68 Member

Can't wait to hear that! Must be earth shattering.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

-Chris

14. hbentley

hbentley Member

mine is first... great pedal!

15. cram

cram Member

1st. I like having the OD's right behind it. I've flipped my pedals around and this one sounds best right in front.

I recall the documentation on this one for how the low octave was best served with a clean playing style. Picking with the neck pickup is better at tracking the lower octave. I would asuume this lends to someone benefitting from a compressor before this pedal in the chain. A compressor evens out attack and could allow for the signal to have less dynamic so it wouldn't throw the octave off track. .