Foxrox Octron vs Prescription Electronics COB

ruger9

I asked about these in another thread I started about octave fuzzes, but now I think I'm even more interested in JUST THE OCTAVES... not POG type octaves, more like Octavia type octaves....

I didn't realize the Octavia wasn't so much a fuzz as it was an octave... all the Octavia copies seem to have so much fuzz....

I'm looking more for an octaver to use into a dirty amp, and/or use with another fuzz/OD instead of it providing it's own. Besides the fact that the Octron also has the lower octave, can anyone compare/contrast these two pedals, their similarities/differences, and how they work with other pedals?

I saw that Doyle Brahmall II uses a COB, and I dig the tone he gets with it, and I also saw Chris Casello using an Octron in Nashville, and have been curious about it ever since (altho he does use more of the lower octave)

jboyjams

I had both at the same time - (along with a KR Doubler and an Octafuzz).

The COB is cleaner and needs another boost pedal or dirt from the amp - very versatile other than that.
The Octron is also very versatile - actually moreso due to the fact that it works better on its own. It doesn't need another pedal or dirt from the amp.

In a nutshell, the COB is cleaner. Both are excellent and the amount of octave can be dialed in.

I ended up keeping my large Octafuzz because I don't use the effect much and it's more simple than the others. Also it has a good boost side available - better than the small version I had.

Last edited:

ruger9

Thanks, jboyjams... so do both pedals play well equally well with ODs and fuzzes?

jboyjams

COB is made for that. The trimpots on the Octron can be tweaked to make it cleaner (more like the COB) or more for stand-alone use.
I had a hard time choosing - they all worked great in my experience.

Tonal Comfort

Silver Supporting Member
I have both an Octron 2 and a COB. The COB can definitely get cleaner octaves than the Octron, but there's still an element of distortion/fuzziness to the octave because of the very nature of the effect. As jboyjams said the Octron 2 can be set similarly to the COB using the internal trimmers to lower the gain for the octave up portion. But the COB is still cleaner - that's what it was designed for. Due to this, I think the COB plays slightly better with other overdrive/boost/fuzz pedals. But both are great pedals IMHO.

And both are very different from the Hendrix style Octavio/a type pedals.

bluesoul

Take a look at the Hartman 8va... recreation of the Tycobrahe Octavia with a couple extra features. You can run the volume up and turn the boost (fuzz) down to have less fuzz...plus the trimmer knob acts like the volume on your guitar... you can get more of the flute like overtones with smooth high end.
It also has a separate fuzz circuit you can switch on or off...but its kind of so so. But the octavia effect is very nice.

Doyle does indeed uses the COB...also a Chicago Iron octavia. I like the Hartman better than the CI because of the trimmer.

AXXA

Silver Supporting Member
Octron is a great choice. On the upper octave, I had the internal trimmers (fuzz and treble) turned down all the way, which gave a relatively clean octave, which I prefer for feeding other dirt with.

It sounds huge into a dirty amp, or into OD and distortion pedals, but keep in mind it won't necessarily sound great into all fuzz pedals. Like with any pedal, it will be essentially sending a buffered signal to whatever comes after it, and some fuzzes, like fuzz faces don't like that. Blending in dry signal can especially makes fuzz faces sound bright and squished. Into the right dirt, it sounds incredible though, especially with the lower octave thickening it up!

ruger9

Take a look at the Hartman 8va... .
My 8va will arrive monday. And an Rx Experience arrives tuesday. :)

That'll be as far as I go into octave-FUZZ experiments; they will basically go up against each other, and then the winner will go up against a fuzz+octave combination...

Unfortunately, this thread hasn't helped me decide between an Octron and a COB, so I guess I'll have to buy both, and shoot those out... the low octave is cool, and I like the descriptions of the "fattening" effect is has, but the upper octave will decide the battle...

One thing I DON'T want is the "ring mod" sound some people say alot of these octave things have... I want the OPPOSITE of ring-mod; I want smooth, almost subtle, musical, octaves.

Last edited:

JSteed

One thing I DON'T want is the "ring mod" sound some people say alot of these octave things have... I want the OPPOSITE of ring-mod; I want smooth, almost subtle, musical, octaves.
Unfortunately you're not going to avoid that with your choice of an analog octave sound. I agree that it generally sounds more organic when compared to something like a POG, but you definitely won't get the same tracking if you plan on playing more than a single note at once.

ruger9

Unfortunately you're not going to avoid that with your choice of an analog octave sound. I agree that it generally sounds more organic when compared to something like a POG, but you definitely won't get the same tracking if you plan on playing more than a single note at once.
The octave part would be just for soloing; obviously the fuzz part would be used as a dirt pedal.

bluesoul

My 8va will arrive monday. And an Rx Experience arrives tuesday. :)

That'll be as far as I go into octave-FUZZ experiments; they will basically go up against each other, and then the winner will go up against a fuzz+octave combination...

Unfortunately, this thread hasn't helped me decide between an Octron and a COB, so I guess I'll have to buy both, and shoot those out... the low octave is cool, and I like the descriptions of the "fattening" effect is has, but the upper octave will decide the battle...

Buy and try (and report back)...there is no other way!

AXXA

Silver Supporting Member
If you don't want 'ring mod', don't play more than one note at a time, and play very cleanly, picking-wise. The ring mod effect is from 2 or more notes clashing. Also, lowering the guitar's volume/tone controls will make the octave cleaner and purer sounding

bluesoul

If you don't want 'ring mod', don't play more than one note at a time, and play very cleanly, picking-wise. The ring mod effect is from 2 or more notes clashing. Also, lowering the guitar's volume/tone controls will make the octave cleaner and purer sounding
That's why I like the Hartman...the trim knob is a set and forget roll off. It's the KWS Blue on Black sound.

ruger9

That's why I like the Hartman...the trim knob is a set and forget roll off. It's the KWS Blue on Black sound.
That's one of the archetypal tones I'm going for... more subtle, musical octaves than cranked-marshall-noisy-bombast.

ruger9

Hartman arrived.... and is going back. Too thin, with fuzz only, AND with fuzz/octave. While I do like that the level of fuzz does not reach "amp blowing up" like alot of the fuzzes do, it's to thin for my taste.

So, the Rx Experience arrives tomorrow, and I am ordering a Rx COB today.

ruger9

The COB has been around for years.

Why isn't their a single decent demo on Youtube?
It's only a guess, but it does a very specific thing... a niche pedal, if you will. Meaning, most of the octave+fuzz pedals have loads of fuzz on tap, and many of them have the octave footswitchable as well. The Rx Experience is a good example (plus it has the "swell" feature as well)... the COB does one thing- a great, blendable octave. Which is great, if an octave is all you want, OR if you want to pair an octave with YOUR favorite fuzz.

But I suspect many lean more towards the fuzz+octave in one box, so pedals as small and affordable as the Octafuzz (an others) win out, even tho their fuzz only tone is less than desirable (to some).

I had seen the COB mentioned in other octave fuzz threads, and was intrigued, but when I heard Doyle Brahmall singing it's praises (and Charlie Sexton singing the praises of the Experience), I got them both...

Honestly, I'm not planning on keeping the Experience unless it's fuzz only tone is a favorite. My whole reason for this "quest" was to find a way to have a great fuzz (only) AND a great octave, w/o one sacrificing for the other.

Trending Topics