foxrox octron

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jlsummers, Jan 30, 2015.

1. jlsummers

jlsummers Member

i want to know what y'all think of the octron. I'm curious and interested.

2. mediabuyout

mediabuyout Supporting Member

it's awesome - fat lower octave and non-harsh fuzzy upper octave. excellent tracking. sure, I wish it was polyphonic but not at the expense of sacrificing how good it sounds.

3. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

Great sounding octave pedal. The down octave is fat and clear. The up octave is sharp and mean. Plus you can boost or cut the direct signal. It's large but it's great on both guitar and keys.

4. Memphistokid

Memphistokid Member

Both previous posters are right on. I love mine and sometimes I wish I had the Octron 2, but the original suites my needs perfectly. Not too off the wall, but both octaves stand out in a in a very musical way.

5. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

It is an amazing octave pedal and tracks very, very well.

6. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

Sounds excellent stacked into dirt. Makes for a very unique lead sound

7. Memphistokid

Memphistokid Member

Yezzir! The only stack ever use!!!

8. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

How does it differ from micro pog? Im interested in octron

9. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

The Octron is analog.

10. snouter

snouter Member

Octron is huge and fat. The Micro Pog sounds thin (the cheesy digital type thing, based on the various demos).

11. butrus

butrus Member

Micro Pog tracks like a champ,but it does sound a bit sterile.
    I sold it and bought the Octron
    Octron doesnt track that well,but it sounds FAT and with internal trimpots its MUCH more versatile pedal.
    I prefer Octron for my style of playing,but if you need excelent tracking Micro Pog is better

12. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

how much more different is the tracking? Also, does the octron get really fuzzy? I want to change octave on violin as well....and not get all fuzzy and distorted

13. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I have both, but really haven't used the MP much. The Octron, in my experience tracks excellently. Maybe you are right and I just haven't paid attention, but honestly I never think about it, the sound is just there and I feel like it is fast and right.

To me the octron is the best I've tried. I often used just the mix between guitar and up octave with the band, but at home often use it with octave down also.

Used it on my board for years and years, but in the last year or so found I didn't really need octave so often anymore. Once in a while think "damn, I should have that right now", but just got a Bearfoot Candy Apple Fuzz, and just leaning down and centering the Nature knob gives me some nice Octave in the few cases I want it.
    The only drawback (which isn't one if one intends to use it a lot OR has a big pedalboard) is it is a fairly large pedal.

The ability to set the levels for each (octave down, octave up, non-affected guitar) off, low, unity, or boost is a really excellent thing that isn't on a lot of octave up only pedals, etc. I found it took a little experimentation for me to find what it can do, what I often want it to do, etc. well worth playing around with.

Also it has a LOT of tweaking possibilites. I left it at factory settings when I first got mine for a long while...but you know, a guy gets used to it, starts thinking about buying another pedal for a change...and then remembers he can tweak it (I always mark and photograph the factory settings so I can always get back to it) and voila! New Pedal DAY!!

Here, from the Octron (note: not 2..I just have the original)

Internal Settings
    Octave UP MODE
    There are two modes, Mode 1 and Mode 2. The mode is selected by the black switch - move it to the position you desire. Mode 2 is the default setting.
    Mode 1 - This is great for the type of sounds associated with many vintage Octave-up units (Octavia). In this mode you can get many strange distorted overtones, similar to a ring modulator as well as a sweet upper octave overtone.

Mode 2 - By rolling off high frequencies before the octave doubler, Mode 2 delivers a bold, pure analog upper octave. No need to role your GTR tone back for better octave sounds.

Octave DOWN tone - This trimmer lets you dial between two different resonant tones.
    Full clockwise - The bottom end is emphasized producing a full, fat octave down tone. Great for clean tones, mixed with clean guitar for the bass/guitar sound.
    Full counter clockwise - Midrange is boosted. Better for adding a lower octave note without rattling the speakers. Also great for feeding a distortion or overdrive pedal.

Octave UP Drive - At Minimum there's very little sustain and gain. Around 1/3 to center is the normal setting. At Maximum you get the most sustain. Note about Octave UP - Analog upper octave is a product of distortion, there is no way to get a "clean" tone as one might expect from a digital pitch shifter.
    Octave UP tone - Controls how bright the Octave UP tone is. At max, you may experience feedback and whistling under high gain settings (back it off). Normal setting is around center. It's a smooth treble roll-off that lets you dial in an upper octave sound that's not shrill, like many other octave-up effects.

14. OverdriveLover

OverdriveLover Supporting Member

My octave experience has mainly been with e MicroSynth (original big one), POG2, and Whammy XP-100.

The Octron is by far the best, which is not surprising since it's analog. The Microsynth is great too, but too unreliable for gigging.

15. Chadley

Chadley Member

Thanks a lot, everyone. You made me realize much I missed my Octron. Just bought another on reverb.

16. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

I just sold my Octron on Reverb 17 minutes ago. I will start missing it as soon as I box it up.

17. msnes335

msnes335 Supporting Member

I think the last 2 posters just transacted an Octron, you guys could have cut out the middleman if you did it here.

Sunstone Recordings likes this.
  18. msnes335

msnes335 Supporting Member

Well for what it's worth, someone should mention the new Mu-fx Octave Divider. I have a POG 2, which is it's own digital thing, and all of the extra bells and whistles (over the Micro POG), detune, 2 octaves up and down, attack control, make it a lot of fun, but it doesn't have the rich analog octave sound we are talking about.

I have the Octron 2, the new Mu Octave Divider, and the Bearfoot Candy Apple Silver (previously mentioned). The Octron is an amazing sounding pedal, it does have some slight tracking issues on the down octave, but that being said you need to adjust your playing style to accommodate that, it isn't that much of an issue, but you can hear it even in a lot of the youtube demos. My guess is the Octron is based on the old Mutron Divider, although I haven't seen that mentioned in print. The Octron has the internal trimmers that let you really dial in your octave sounds, so you can get a pretty clean upper octave sound, or a fuzzy octavia sound, and you can control the bass tone.

Having said that, I guess I'm in the honeymoon phase with the Mu-fx Divider, I have played it everyday for the last 2 weeks, it is really sweet. It is an instant trip to Garciatown, if that's the kind of thing you're into. The tracking is better - the Octron, for lack of a better term, farts out when you play 2 notes at one time, in the octave down, (as well as open strings, or if you hold a note for too long), the Mu does not, perhaps this is the "Stabilizer" but I also find it's not doing it with the Stabilizer off.

As I understand it, the Mu doesn't have an octave up so much as it is the Dan Armstrong, Green Ringer circuit, which creates a ring mod type new frequency, which is sometimes higher, and sometimes lower, depending on where you play on the neck. This here, is worth the price of admission for me, I can't get enough of it. I am using it just as much in the main channel, turning off the down octave, and the dry signal, and just using the ringer, as I am with blending 2 or 3 of the signals. All 3 (or 2, up and down, no dry), together sound just as lush, as the Octron, I would just say the voicing of the 2 is a little different - neither being better or worse, just different. They are different enough that I will keep both.

The Candy Apple is a secret bit of goodness on it's own. Oh, it's also a regular old fuzz pedal? I wouldn't have known because I haven't moved the N knob off the noon position yet. This nails the octave/octavia/ringer thing all over the neck, but it is more gainy/fuzzy than the other 2. Where I've really gone crazy the last 2 weeks is, playing the Mu ringer into the Candy Apple, with any combo of drive and boost before, after, in the middle, and throwing in some envelope filter between the 2 as well. A lot of fun.

If I had to pick between the Octron, and the Mu-fx, right now I'd go with the Mu-fx, thankfully, I don't and will keep both. Anyway, that's my 2 cents on Octave pedals.

19. jakethesnake

jakethesnake Supporting Member

I bought one used a while ago just to try it out and boy did I love it, never had an effect like that before. When I downsized my board in the fall I took it off because I didn't use it that much. Thanks to this thread I decided to add it back on and found just enough room to fit it on. I sure did miss it.

20. mediabuyout

mediabuyout Supporting Member

thanks for this writeup. Are the enclosures for the foxrox and the mu the same? And if I read correctly, the mu is monophonic but wont spaz out when you play two notes at once- what happens then?