Foxrox Paradox TZF2!

BigDiceBuddha

Silver Supporting Member
As long as there's a list, you can get on it. At this point it will be a couple months, maybe more. I build them in small batches and I have to put TZF2 aside so I can get caught up on my other pedals.
Perfect! A couple months works for me, as I have to get the money together anyways! Just added myself to the list, thanks!

On a side note, Dave. I just traded for a Captain Coconut 2. I would like to commend you, sir. It is one of the finest pieces of gear I have ever owned, and I've owned a lot.

Dave Fox

Senior Pedalmaker
Perfect! A couple months works for me, as I have to get the money together anyways! Just added myself to the list, thanks!

On a side note, Dave. I just traded for a Captain Coconut 2. I would like to commend you, sir. It is one of the finest pieces of gear I have ever owned, and I've owned a lot.
That's great! I'm glad you like it. I hooked up a Captain Coconut 2 a couple nights ago, first time in a long time. Definitely a fun pedal - brought back memories of 15 years ago when I quit my day to make pedals full time.

BigDiceBuddha

Silver Supporting Member
That's great! I'm glad you like it. I hooked up a Captain Coconut 2 a couple nights ago, first time in a long time. Definitely a fun pedal - brought back memories of 15 years ago when I quit my day to make pedals full time.
Honestly, it is so well built and sounds so good, I'm looking to add a Festival and/or a Zim right now. Paradox down the line... Just very high quality stuff. Thank you.

Uli Jon Blackmore

Silver Supporting Member
#39 is on reverb.com now.
I still prefer the ramping of the Zero Point: TZF 2 seems too fast and doesn't have that satisfying rip into phase cancellation, and the ability to back off or hold it. And the ZP really captures tape-like qualities (which, lets face it, good dsp is better at doing than bbd, which has its own charm). As for versatility, sure, but then tzf 2 does cost more than a third more than the ZP.
Hey to each their own. I have found every attempt at DSP replication of TZF rather weak IMHO (including the Tunnelworm, Line 6, and yes, Zero Point). I did like the pos mode of Zero, but little else. I wonder if you were able to put your Paradox ramping through all of its paces before moving on. Perhaps you did and it just was just not for you. I had a bit of a difficult time getting it until I both put it into the loop of my amp and turned the manual and envelope almost or all the way off. I can get everything that the Zero offers, but with the ability of both having a much stronger effect, or not, and a ton of options including speed, etc. As I wrote, to each their own. I am flipping my CB Wombtone MK2 because for me, I just prefer the other phasers/vibes that I have for what they do (Faye Sing 2, Aquavibe, Retrosonic) Theoretically, the Wombtone can do most of that, but not for me.

Last edited:

#44 here.

Cool pedal. If i could whine about one feature it would be to use it as a vibrato.
It's a nice chorus, if we could kill the "dry" signal (not really dry, but you know what I mean).

Envelope feature is really nice.

I love to use this with just a compressor.

The Ramp feature would be better if we could control the time of the Ramp. But once you get the hang of it, it's easy.

Really lovely zero through phase cancelation. The positive side has a great vibe/phase type of sound.

It took a little bit to firgure out the controls. The manual knob reduces the second delay lines time. All the way down with a little depth is how to get a chorus tone.

The depth control is a bit of a mystery to me. It seems like its maximum swing is at noon. Cranking the depth, basically nullifies the position of the manual knob. Which is werid to me.

Anyway. Still sounds and works great

highfidelity66

Silver Supporting Member
Dave.... Its time.... Bring it baaaack!!!

benevan

As long as there's a list, you can get on it. At this point it will be a couple months, maybe more. I build them in small batches and I have to put TZF2 aside so I can get caught up on my other pedals.
Ugh, that sucks. I got on the list about a week after the start of this thread back in July. Was hoping my name would come up soon. I guess it just wasn't meant to be...:(

Dave Fox

Senior Pedalmaker
#44 here.

Cool pedal. If i could whine about one feature it would be to use it as a vibrato.
Funny - that occurred to me last week while testing TZF2's. The one I was testing had a problem - the fixed delay wasn't coming through, so instead the unit was behaving like a vibrato pedal. And the vibrato was really sweet sounding, and with speed ramping it's even cooler.

There's a hack for getting vibrato - Balance the pos/neg switch right in the middle (just like getting the in-between settings on an old Strat). It's really easy. This gives you the modulated delay with no fixed delay mixed in.

I just got some samples of 3-position switches that make it vibrato in the center. If they work out, future TZF2's might include vibrato without having to balance the 2-position switch in the middle.

The Ramp feature would be better if we could control the time of the Ramp. But once you get the hang of it, it's easy.
When designing TZF2, I tried a slower rise time in the manual ramping and I didn't like it. Using it at gigs, I would get impatient because I didn't like waiting for the swoosh. So I changed it so there would be a fast rise time that overshoots the through-zero point. I found one great way to use it is to press down the Ramp button when you feel the urge for a swoosh, and leave your foot on it. When you want the swoosh, take your foot off so it can ramp down. Since it's already past the through-zero point, you get the illusion of a rise/swoosh/fall. The manual knob sets the low point that it returns to, and it also changes the angle of the downward ramp. I hope all this makes sense - try it and let me know what you think. Overshoot and then release.

The manual knob reduces the second delay lines time. All the way down with a little depth is how to get a chorus tone.
Another great use for manual ramping is to go from chorus to flanger sounds. You can dial in a chorus sound with long delay (manual set low). When you step on manual ramp, it shortens the delay and puts you in flanger territory during the rise and fall.

The depth control is a bit of a mystery to me. It seems like its maximum swing is at noon. Cranking the depth, basically nullifies the position of the manual knob. Which is werid to me.
The two controls (depth and manual) are naturally interactive to some degree. As the delay time gets longer (lower manual knob setting), the depth gets magnified. I borrowed this block of circuitry from an old MXR flanger because I really like the control. Once you pick up on the relation of controls it won't seem weird.

Anyway. Still sounds and works great
That's great! I love when someone really gets it.

Funny - that occurred to me last week while testing TZF2's. The one I was testing had a problem - the fixed delay wasn't coming through, so instead the unit was behaving like a vibrato pedal. And the vibrato was really sweet sounding, and with speed ramping it's even cooler.

There's a hack for getting vibrato - Balance the pos/neg switch right in the middle (just like getting the in-between settings on an old Strat). It's really easy. This gives you the modulated delay with no fixed delay mixed in.

I just got some samples of 3-position switches that make it vibrato in the center. If they work out, future TZF2's might include vibrato without having to balance the 2-position switch in the middle.
I'm going to try that. Hopefully you can offer a mod if your idea works out!

When designing TZF2, I tried a slower rise time in the manual ramping and I didn't like it. Using it at gigs, I would get impatient because I didn't like waiting for the swoosh. So I changed it so there would be a fast rise time that overshoots the through-zero point. I found one great way to use it is to press down the Ramp button when you feel the urge for a swoosh, and leave your foot on it. When you want the swoosh, take your foot off so it can ramp down. Since it's already past the through-zero point, you get the illusion of a rise/swoosh/fall. The manual knob sets the low point that it returns to, and it also changes the angle of the downward ramp. I hope all this makes sense - try it and let me know what you think. Overshoot and then release.
Yup, That's how I use it. It took a little bit, that's the trick.

:aok

Okay tried the middle of pos/neg trick. Wow! This is exactly what I was looking for. Chorus/vibrato/flanger. Very nice.

Dave, I think you should amend the manual to tip people off to this trick.
The warmth of the bbd is more pronounced in this mode.

tonewave

Another great use for manual ramping is to go from chorus to flanger sounds. You can dial in a chorus sound with long delay (manual set low). When you step on manual ramp, it shortens the delay and puts you in flanger territory during the rise and fall.

The two controls (depth and manual) are naturally interactive to some degree. As the delay time gets longer (lower manual knob setting), the depth gets magnified. I borrowed this block of circuitry from an old MXR flanger because I really like the control. Once you pick up on the relation of controls it won't seem weird.

Dave great that you're posting some tips and tricks here
it's an amazing pedal
tried it in a stereo set up and was getting some mind bending results (splitting before the flanger)

I tried the vibrato trick, some great sounds in there
can't set the depth too high though, gets weird very fast :)

I tried to use the manual ramp and just can't seem to get it to do anything at all, no matter what the settings
Dave, is there any way you could do a video demonstrating how to set the tzf2 to get the manual ramping working?
because the speed is always flanging, even at it's slowest, I never know if it's me pressing, or releasing, the ramp switch or the lfo speed that's causing the flanging

also is there anyway to limit the top speed of the speed ramp?
I find pressing the speed ramp takes it to "special effects" zone super fast, whereas if you could control the top speed it could operate
in a faux leslie way

thanks in advance

Dave Fox

Senior Pedalmaker
I tried to use the manual ramp and just can't seem to get it to do anything at all, no matter what the settings
Dave, is there any way you could do a video demonstrating how to set the tzf2 to get the manual ramping working?
because the speed is always flanging, even at it's slowest, I never know if it's me pressing, or releasing, the ramp switch or the lfo speed that's causing the flanging
Start by turning Depth, Manual and Envelope all the way down. Press, hold and release the ramp button and you will hear it doing it's thing. From there you can turn up the manual knob to set the bottom point that it returns to when you release the button. When you dial in more depth, the range that it covers will lessen the change that the manual ramping makes. This is also influenced by where the LFO sweep is when the ramp button is hit.

Go to the 1:00 point in this video

also is there anyway to limit the top speed of the speed ramp?
It's a fixed setting. I set it to what sounds good to me and decided against internal adjustments. Separate delays ramping at different rates would create a more convincing Leslie effect, but for what it is, I think TZF2 does a good faux Leslie. Better than a lot of Leslie sim pedals I've heard.

Modulator

Start by turning Depth, Manual and Envelope all the way down. Press, hold and release the ramp button and you will hear it doing it's thing.
This was the "ah-ha!" moment for me, and once I realized it's a balancing act, the more I felt I had control. Any chance of a block diagram to show what's going on signalwise? Being a modular synth nut, I'm always curious about how these things flow. Any chance it could be modded with a TRS jack for expression or CV if that's easier over speed or manual?

On vibrato, I found a sound in the TZF2 that I had only previously heard in my Chase Bliss Warped Vinyl. A pitch shifting whipping ramp, like a quicker attack and slower release. Not flangy at all.

The speed setting really does a great leslie. My Neoventilator looked kinda nervous.

Anyone looking for one, there was one in the emporium, decent price too, especially considering the wait. It may be gone though, this was a few days ago.

tonewave

Start by turning Depth, Manual and Envelope all the way down. Press, hold and release the ramp button and you will hear it doing it's thing. From there you can turn up the manual knob to set the bottom point that it returns to when you release the button. When you dial in more depth, the range that it covers will lessen the change that the manual ramping makes. This is also influenced by where the LFO sweep is when the ramp button is hit.

Go to the 1:00 point in this video

It's a fixed setting. I set it to what sounds good to me and decided against internal adjustments. Separate delays ramping at different rates would create a more convincing Leslie effect, but for what it is, I think TZF2 does a good faux Leslie. Better than a lot of Leslie sim pedals I've heard.
Dave, now I get it, I've heard it and felt it and now have a starting point to work with
I even could get that chorusing going into flanging when you ramp thing
thanks for taking the time to explain it

am I right in saying that when the depth is fully CC the LFO is not on, similar to the way depth works with amp tremolo?

I also discovered that the vibrato can handle more depth,
but it's sweep is a bit weird, going from fully CC it's nice even vibrato, then it gets really wacky,
but then if you go further clockwise it comes good again, before going completely wacky again
so I found that interesting
so many sounds to be found

if I was to use this in stereo are there recommended settings?
or is it just best to use it mono before any stereo splitting?

Last Nerve

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Gold Supporting Member
Question for fellow owners-
Anyone getting a high 'whine' when playing through the TZF2?
It is relative to the speed of the LFO, so I'm wondering if I got a bad 18v power supply or if I got one that doesn't have enough power for the pedal.
Also it comes on even stronger when I kick on the CC Hybrid in front of the TZF2.

Will mess with it some more tomorrow and hopefully figure out if it is power, or cables or what.
But wanted to see if anyone had duplicated my experience.

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
So my number for a TZF2 came up. And I want one. Bad. But I'm kind of torn.

OK I currently have an A/DA and MXR M117 flanger. I also just got but had to return a used Maxon Flanger. The Maxon totally filled the gap I was looking for: it had that nice ability to just either fatten up the tone or due the flange rise and fall without being intrusive to the original signal.

Anyways- is the TZF2 able to get that more subtle "fat" tone as well? The A/DA and MXR can't quiet do it. Close. But it's not the same.

With that said, I know it will be an awesomely built pedal. Dave has some of my favorite pedals. The Hot Silicon being the best Fuzz Face ever IMO. Never mind the Octron being amazing.

So....would it get me what I currently need (similar to the Maxon flange)?

Also Dave- man, when are you going to do a Pahser?!?!

Trending Topics