foxrox wah retrofit

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bionic, May 8, 2008.

1. bionic

bionic Member

Does your wah benefit from this upgrade if you are not using it in front of a germanium fuzz? I have my wah before a Foxey Fuzz (silicon), Eternity and Timmy. Do I really need this?

2. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

All my fuzzpedals (Hartman GE, Hartman 8va, Foxrox Hot Silicon) sound fine in front of my area 51 wah. Haven't tried them after the wah.

3. jzucker

By the way, mayer claims to the contrary, there is no evidence that Jimi had any kind of buffering installed in his effects chain.

4. Freedom

Freedom Member

If your wah-wah behaves like its supposed to when your fuzzes are on then you don't need it...if you have oscilation issues or by rocking your wah all you have is just an incresment-decresment of the volume then go for it if you dont like the wah after the fuzz... ;)

5. meterman

meterman Member

Without the Foxrox buffer, my wah lost most of it's sweep with germ fuzzes and squealed uncontrollably with silicon fuzzes including the Foxy. With the buffer it's all good...wouldn't make any difference with the TIM & Eternity I don't think....

6. warioblast

warioblast Member

Oh really. That's funny because I remember reading an interview of Mayer where he said that some of Hendrix's wahs were modded with buffers, and that some of them had both input and ouput buffers. Oh well :horse

7. jzucker

Lots of folks have made all kinds of claims. All I know is that a friend of mine worked at Washington Music in the late 60s. Jimi came in, picked out 3-4 strats without playing them and picked out some wah pedals and other things and was using them on a gig that evening. I don't think there was an emphasis on boutique/modded effects and the difference between brass and nicklel plated jacks like there is today. My impression was that he just plugged it in and played. Remember, he was using Sunn, Fender, Marshall and it pretty much all sounded like him no matter what.

8. meterman

meterman Member

If you listen to some Jimi live recordings you can hear that he's using his wah without a buffer into a fuzz, the sweep is diminished and when he switched to Si fuzzes, you can hear occasional squealing, all very similar to what mine sounded like before the FoxRox retrofit. Maybe he had the buffers installed later on to deal with those problems?

9. Seegs

Seegs Member

I fluctuate between leaving it hooked up and disconnecting it on my picture wah...on one hand it plays nicer with fuzz and od while otoh my wah seems to lose some of its vocalness and has a flatter sweep when played clean...

I thought about hooking it up to a switch so I can have the choice...

Chow,
    Seegs

10. jzucker

are you guys running the fuzz after the wah because I don't have any of these issues.

11. Dave Fox

Dave Fox Senior Pedalmaker

Here's my stock reply when people ask if FWR helps with OD and distortion as well as fuzz.

The first thing to do is determine what's causing the problem. Either it's an impedance problem, or the sound of the wah is getting masked by the overdrive. If it's due to masking, FWR will do nothing to help. If it's due to impedance loading, FWR will fix the problem.

FWR fixes the mismatch that happens with Wah and FuzzFace. To see if a buffer is the cure, simply patch any buffered-bypass effect (like a TS9) between your wah and your fuzz. If the problem is fixed, then it's an impedance mismatch and FWR will fix it.

The advantave of FWR is that it goes in your wah and becomes part of your wah pedal, and it gets removed from the signal path when the was is not engaged. This allows your Fuzz to see your guitar pickups instead of a buffer and will retain the classic fuzz sound when not using the wah.

Regarding Hendrix with a buffer in his wah, it would take a lot to convince me of it. I'm not a Hendrix expert, so I guess I can always learn something new..

Jimi had one or both of the classic Wah>Fuzz problems on a lot of live recordings. When he didn't, the reason wasn't a wah buffer. It was something else, probably a different Roger Fuzz circuit or a univibe patched between wah and fuzz.

Also, a lot of famous Jimi Wah solos don't involve a Fuzz Face going at the same time.

12. meterman

meterman Member

Yeah I always go wah > fuzz, I don't really like the sound of the wah at all if I run it fuzz > wah...

Come to think of it though, in regards to the OP, I don't think I actually had problems with the Foxy Fuzz which is more of a Big Muff clone, but I did get squealing with a Si fuzz face clone...

13. jzucker

funny, i love the sound of fuzz into wah. I'm willing to bet most folks wouldn't even notice other. I always run wah before overdrive though but I may rethink that based on my results with fuzz before wah.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

this might be helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPNF_P4LVjE

you can hear a before and after the retro fit install. pretty cool.

and dave, my wallet would like to remind you to STOP MAKING AWESOME STUFF.

15. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

You should be able to hear if you need it. I have a Vox and a Crybaby. Both sounded terrible with Fulltone 69 and 70 fuzzes -- with the 70 it just squealed a lot and with either the wah lost most of the sweep. I have a live Hendrix recording (can't remember which one -- is it Isle of Wight?) whre he's obviously running an unbuffered wah into a Si fuzzface and it does the same thing...it goes wah^SQUEEEOOO^OOOOOO^EEEEE^weh^SQUEEEEEEoooo^wah
    Horrible.
    The foxrox buffer fixed that.
    I don't know what Sean did with the LP 200lbs of tone, but it is absolutely fine run after my unbuffered Area51 wah. So, it seems there are changes that can be made to the fuzz circuit that alleviate the problem too, which is cool.

16. Bobo Fret

Bobo Fret Whatchyou lookin' at? Silver Supporting Member

I run into my wah first, then into fuzz. This arrrangement killed my RMC3 tone until I did the retrofit.

17. jzucker

why is it necessary to run the fuzz after the wah? In fact, I like the fuzz first because it reacts directly with the guitar's volume and tone, even if the wah is on. Can someone with the buffer post a clip with the wah before and after the fuzz to demonstrate why it's such a big deal?

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

why dont you try it?

personally, i much more prefer my fuzz/OD after my wah. there's more texture to the overall sound. and most of all, less icepick when i hit the trebly side, and less note squash when i go back into the bassier side. all in all, much more usable tones for my playing.

then again, i thought everyone preferred their dirt after their wahs... *shrug*

19. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Jack,
    There's a big difference in tone with the fuzz before the wah vs the fuzz after the wah. All the great Jimi tones that I love were wah and then fuzz. I actually can't stand the sound of fuzz going into my wah. But to each his own. I've spent years tracking down fuzzes that work after my unbuffered Picture Wah. There are great ones out there that work with it. What I like about the Foxrox retrofit (which I think is the licensed technology in the newer Teese FFT wahs) is that it opens me up to use any fuzz with the wah, even higher gain silicon fuzzes.

So Jack, put the Hot Silicon Fuzz after your unbuffered Area 51 and hear the squeal. Then you'll understand why guys need a buffer.

In regards to Jimi, I don't think he had buffers in his wahs in many of the live recordings I have or have heard. I was just listening to Atlanta Pop Festival 1970 today going to and from work. Sounds like a silicon FF to me, and every time he tries to use wah with the fuzz, he gets massive squeal and oscillation. Sometimes he uses this to tune in some awesome feedback, of course. It was Jimi!

20. jzucker

i've put the fuzz pedals after the unbuffered wah. I know the deal there. That's why I have them before. I don't agree about the "bad" textures and I get great jimi tones with the fuzz before the wah.

For example: http://youtube.com/watch?v=NakFb8NzgUg