Foxrox ZIM - Any users/Opinions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jumblefingers, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

I have been looking at this pedal which seems really flexible w/ selectable cards, the ability to insert another effect between the two drive units and being able to use the two units separate or in series (something that a lot of people seem to do here)

The EQ section also seems unique, flexible and really well thought out. Dave's CC2 and other products seem to have a great rep but I don't see much about this box. Any feedback, info, thoughts would be most welcome. Thanks!

2. dave s

dave s Member

have a ZIM on my board with the T+ and BB cards installed. The T+ card is based on an MXR Dist+ and the original RAT pedals, I believe.

Like anything from Foxrox, it's built like a tank, performs flawlessly and delivers as advertised.

The 'voicing' selector switch on the ZIM is really interesting. I was looking for a powerful, smooth 80s hair band type rhythm tone from a pedal and the T+ card is perfect for getting the correct tone. Even through a matchless amp!

The other tones this card gets using the voicing selector are very mesa-boogey sounding. doesn't do the Recto sound, but really nails just about any Mark IV simul-class medium to high-gain tones perfectly. I don't use those, though.

The other control (can't remember what the pedal calls it) but it's like a depth control. On the setting I use most, the control behaves like I'm adjusting the frequency of the distortion. I can go from razor sharp to a darker, thicker more low-mid heavy dist setting that really cuts through the mix really well.

The other interesting thing is that I can hit the ZIM with a clean boost pedal for lead work. This works incredibly well.

Like any other pedal, it may or may not work great for you. I've had difficulty locating pedals that sound good through my matchless clubman. The ZIM does a really nice med/high-gain rhythm tone for doing 80s/90s style stuff so for me, it's a keeper.

dave

3. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

I like all my OD's; Tubescreamer, BLues Driver, OCD, Timmy, and ZIM.

I would probably keep the ZIM over the others if I had to sell a bunch of stuff for whatever reason.

I have the VT(I think it's VT for Vintage Tube) and H9 cards. I don't see VT on his list any longer but it's my main drive these days for all around playing. And having the H9 card on the voiced channel gives me tons of options for screaming lead tone.

I'm very happy with it overall.

The enclosure is tough as can be, the knobs/pots also seem durable, the tones are up to you and the choice of ZIMcards you choose. FOr me, they rock!

4. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

Zim with CS and H9 - fantastic pedal. I will not restate all the accolades mentioned above however I will say that it is never leaving my board....works well with all my pedals and gives me the variety I need for all the different styles of music I play.

Double tracking on tape adjusting the voice for each track leads to massive recording sounds.

5. gitpicker

gitpicker Member

I have had two ZIM's - one with the HB and VT cards, and one with the T+ and BB cards. The Zim is the most tweakable OD I have ever had the pleasure of playing through. Spend the time on the web page and read all the info (there is a ton of it). The unit performs as advertised! To this day, the VT card is my favorite low gain OD for a Strat. It really does make it sound more "Stratty"! THe ZIM won't do everything, so of course you will need at least a dozen extra OD's to cover all bases, but it WILL cover more ground than any single OD. Pay special attention to the info on the voicing circuit on channel 2 of the unit. It completely redefines the concept of a "tone" control. It literally is like having 8 different OD's all in one box (each with its own unique voicing and tone controls), and when you and Channel 1 into the mix, that makes 9!

Caution - be prepared to spend alot of time with this unit. The amount of different sounds it can produce is astonishing. There is bound to be a few that work well for you.

The Gitpicker (full of GAS and out of $$)

6. jpagey

jpagey Member

+1

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

the zim ended my search for an overdrive.

8. FUSER

FUSER Member

Do you use BB with T+ together or Just the T+ to get the sounds you mentioned?

I am about to order one with the T+ and a second card not decided yet?

How useful is BB by itself and cascaded?

Thanks

9. dave s

dave s Member

You know, for the life of me I cannot figure out a useful application for the BB side of the pedal. If someone were to explain (Foxrox website does not!) what the heck a buffer is supposed to do and where it would come in handy, I'll be glad to shut up and listen!

Anybody?

On my ZIM, the BB turns the T+ side to mush when used with it. Doesn't really matter how the BB side is set. It won't 'up' the volume or the gain, but it will certainly reduce it with the controls lowered on the BB side.

Guess I need to be smarter than the pedal and apparently, I'm not! :rolleyes:

dave

10. gitpicker

gitpicker Member

Hey Dave - A buffer is used to boost your signal to better pass through a number of effects - it can also be used to increase or decrease your volume. Even if you use all TB pedals, the physical length of the cable and the jacks your guitar signal must pass through will have an effect (pun) on your overall sound. A buffer puts more umph behind that signal so that is should sound closer to plugging straight in.

Now for the caveat - there is alot of discussion about the TB vs Buffer arguement. I assume a buffer circuit is less expensive than a TB switch, which is why so many of the cheaper pedals are not TB. There are many pedals that are not TB, yet there is very little audible difference in the sound of your guitar when they are not engaged, however, there are others (most notably old Cry-Baby's) that suck the **** out of your high end when they are off (and presumably when they are on, but the effect masks this). So I guess a buffer can be OK, and serve a purpose if it is of a high enough quality. Ususally the mantra goes like this: TB for short cable runs - Buffer for long runs (no one ever seems to define what "short" and "long" are however!)

As to the Zim BB - I agree with your basic assessment. There are a number of high quality dedicated Buffer pedals out there, and a few (the Fulltone Choralflange for example) that have an internal switch that allows you to choose between TB mode and Buffer mode. Try playing your guitar with the BB on and then off, and see if you can hear any improvement in your tone (clearer and more defined high-end response). If you don't hear an improvement, then you probably don't need it, and you can send it into Foxrox and trade for another effect card to plug into the ZIM - I highly recommend the VT Card!

The Gitpicker

11. Austin AL

Austin AL Supporting Member

Thought I would bounce this back up to see if anyone has tried the B9 or T9 cards and what they thought, how they used them. I have a 1963 Strat into a '65 Vibrochamp. Thanks!

12. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

In a recent thread over at HCFX Dave Fox noted that he was almsot finished tweaking the Big Muff and Fuzz Face cards for the ZIM.

13. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've got a pair of H9s in mine. Great sound and much quieter than a pair of hotrodded TS9s. The voicing circuit is genius. The only thing I'd change is bringing the tone circuit out to the outside of the box, somehow...

14. Wooley

Wooley Member

It's just a phenomenal pedal, and everyone should buy one, period.

15. DK207

DK207 Member

I have one with CS and H9 cards and won't ever sell it. The thing sounds great, and is built like a tank. I haven't experimeted with any of the other cards, but I'm sure they are solid, too. The only other OD I have is an AM OD-9 silver that I use as a clean-ish boost with the Zim. They work very nicely together.

If you don't own any Foxrox pedals, don't hesitate to get one. They are made extremely well and Dave Fox is incredible to deal with. I bought my Zim used and the switch was on the fritz. Dave replaced it, upgraded my H9 card to the newest version, and upgraded my drive pots to the non-detented ones for free. Not too many people will do that for a product that was purchased used on ebay.

16. tfunster

tfunster Silver Supporting Member

ZIM owner here. I've got a VT, TAR+ and H9. Awesome pedal, I can't wait till the fuzz face card comes out.

17. michael.e

michael.e Silver Supporting Member

The Zim is the best overdrive unit that I have ever used. One of my top 1 pedals in my arsenal.

Take a listen to my clips and you will hear the pedal being used with a JTM45 and with a Trace Elliot Velocette.

M.E.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCz-ru51O1w

18. notagain123

notagain123 Member

the Zim has everything I ever wanted out of an OD pedal:dude

19. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I'm kinda intrigued...had a main question and a few side questions...

Main one: if you could mention the cards you have in the unit when responding (Daves concept, completely cool, also makes it much harder to find out about some things...since it is like asking how " a TS clone" reacts...because there are so many flavors, so it is great if those who answer tell which cards they have) I was wondering how well they clean up with guitar vol control?

Alternate questions, for those of you who LOVE the Zim, or mention how good it is, what other OD's have you had that the Zim beat out and what are they?

20. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I'm bumping this looking to hear how the channels in the ZIM clean up with guitar volume, actually changing the question for those that have one with the stock zimcards in it.

This is kind of ironic, I am mentioning on the current thread on "addicted to pedals" and I am getting that urge to buy one :)

Only I will be selling some stuff to make up the cost. I don't know how I missed this pedal, I mean I have been over to Foxrox pages many times, had bought a CC2, (sold it...at the time it wasn't what I had wanted, but I just bought and received a new one, as I am way more into Fuzz'es now!) and seen mention of the Zim, just not much here, until this thread.

Hearing you guys rave about it, also reading the reviews, and on top of that...lately I had been thinking how I would prefer one unit that had two seperate controllable OD's, instead of cascading two other OD's...plus what sounds like a real great integration and control...a very flexible pedal, and I am amazed I really only looked into this now.

Anyway, thanks for bringing this up! And I would love to hear how the OD's (stock) clean up with guitar volume.

Thanks!