Foxrox ZIM - Any users/Opinions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jumblefingers, Oct 14, 2005.

1. notagain123

notagain123 Member

My Zim has the Clean smile and the Big 9...it cascades really well, warm sounding and very big difference when A/Bing with my other OD pedals owned.

It has not left my board and will always be my number 1 go-to-OD-pedal.

By the way,for drive pedals...

I have the BB preamp(which I also love),Hotcake,BSIAB2,Vintage Rat,Blues pro, blue boy deluxe, crunch box version2,bad monkey,tech21 double drive,skreddy screwdriver,tonebone classic and a few more boss pedals which i won't care to mention.

Amongst all, I love the ZIM to bits because of the character of the drive, and when compared with the rest, well theres no comparison really.:D

I play vintage rock and blues and a bit of jazz in a semi professional band, and I do sessions here and there for R&B productions, and this pedal does them all showing her versatility.

Best part of it is that the clean smile section goes really well as a booster for my other drive pedals, quiet and reliable all the time.

I think one can not go wrong getting this pedal, even as just for keep's sake, as I believe it will come in handy to any musician out there.

Its tweakable and its fun, and yes it can clean up well too, to me that is, but honestly I do not really need a pedal that cleans up well and I do not really get that"prerequisite for all drive pedals being able to clean up well"
    hype.-sorry for that.:D

in a nutshell,:Devil
    Zim=Warmth

2. Austin AL

Austin AL Supporting Member

I have the H9 and CS cards, but just placed an order for the B9. I bought this used at Blues Angel when I was in Pensacola a few weeks ago, home of the Landgraff. I sat down with the CS portion last night and tried to it through my 1963 strat and blackface Vibro Champ. I actually tweaked it to sound very close to my COT50 Blue. I think it does clean up very well, and does not dull your tone when you do so. I have been really impressed with it so far and I am looking forward to putting the B9 in the B channel. The best way to use the voicing, that I have found, is to get the sound you want with the voice not in the circuit and then move the voicing around until you find something you like. You may only use it occasionally, but it is a great feature, almost like a crazy varitone. I agree with another poster that the one thing I would change would be to have the tone knobs on the outside instead of on the card, but they are set and forget anyway. This is a great pedal and built like a tank!

3. cheng&eng

cheng&eng Member

Has anyone used the CC2 (with a hot silicon card) & ZIM together?
    I'm thinking of ordering one but not sure which cards would best compliment
    the Hot silicon. I would also be using A king of tone. guitar would be a strat,
    amps blackface fenders
    thanks

4. Austin AL

I would have to say that the CS card really smooths out fuzzes, especially the hot silicon.

5. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

+1 billion !!!!

The CS is just amazing after Foxfuzzfoot..the voicing of it is just perfect to take the raspyness of the fuzz and make it just perfect to my ears.

6. Dave Fox

Dave Fox Senior Pedalmaker

Now that CC2 is out of the picture, I have more time to devote to ZIM. I have to admit that I've neglected ZIM a little... The BM and FF cards are almost done, the Octave up card is next and ... dare I say... I'm thinking about a Compressor card and a Vibe card. Technically, they're both doable. People seem to love the Phase 45/DOD201 sound, and if I can squeeze that simple circuit onto a ZIMcard, it will be pretty neat.

With two ZIM's you could cover Fuzz, Octave up, Vibe and one more thing like OD or Boost.

7. Austin AL

Okay now that would freaking rock!!!!!:BEER

8. pete kanaras

pete kanaras Member

a Vibe card

whoa.......!

9. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

Dave, your killing me with the added gas pains to my Zim/CC2 collection....tzf, octron 2, new stand alone fuzzfoots, fuzz cards with freaking vibe and comp. That is just toooo cool :dude :dude :dude

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

:eek:!!!

11. yesteryear

yesteryear Member

Another Zim lover here. Im looking to swap out my VT card though. My big question though is whether or not the CS card is more transparent and open. I really like the VT card but Im looking for the most transparent OD I can find. Suggestions would be great. I know on the website it says that it is "very transparent" but Im looking for opinions from those who have tried both.

12. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

Don't stop! I love it! Dave, you're on a roll.
    How about an envelope filter card?

13. Dave Fox

Dave Fox Senior Pedalmaker

Sure, why not? If a circuit is small, and it can make use of a 1meg pot for adjustment, and a 50K pot for volume, and it runs on +9VDC, it can be a ZIMcard. And if you shove it in Ch B, you can play with different voicings.

ZIM - the pedal that keeps giving.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

lol,

just make a 3 channel ZIM! and later change the name to CC2. ;)

but seriously, 3 channel ZIM? pleez?

15. Austin AL

Back to the top.... DAVE BUILD THAT VIBE!!! That will be awesome.

16. monk

monk Member

[​IMG]
    I just got my ZIM and I´m very happy with it. I have tried many different
    tubescreamer clones but this is the best so far. I have the VT and H9 cards.
    The vintage tube is wonderful. My main amps are Marshall and Vox and I
    play PRS CE-24, Fender 52 reissue telecaster and Gibson Les Paul pro deluxe.

17. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

my reaction exactly

18. carltonh

carltonh Member

So that quote is now 9 months old. If it was a baby, it is time for birth! Anyone know of any updates? I ask because I have a ZIM on the way and will likely want to trade in a BB card for something else.

19. Wooley

Wooley Member

No, but I'd love to find out. If Dave offered vibe, envelope filter, phaser, fuzz, or any other cards, I'd absolutely buy a second ZIM and a whole lotta cards. Dave...?

20. mungo

mungo Member

I don't want to hi-jack this but can anyone tell me the differences between the ZIM and something like a Full Drive. I already own a Full drive but I found a used ZIM across the country that I can't try out. Am I wasting my time considering it? I'm looking for another OD/dist pedal. I was originally thinking of the Box Of Rox by ZVex, but the ZIM pedal I found was pretty cheap. Thanx

dug