Foxrox ZIM - Any users/Opinions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jumblefingers, Oct 14, 2005.

1. WorkingClassDan

WorkingClassDan Member

Can you see ZIM evolving into a modular, customisable, analog multi-FX pedal?

At the moment it has two channels, but imagine a CC2 size box with 4 or 5 slot for cards and 3 knobs per channel...

Just putting it out there.

2. Wooley

Wooley Member

I've had both, but still have the ZIM. It is one of the most unique pedals ever built, and blows the Fulldrive 2 out of the water, IMHO. I've had it for 2 years and still find things in it I've never heard before.

WorkingClassDan: THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT! I think if Dave built CC2 boxes with ZIM controls for A and B and a third one for C, then sold Boost, OD, Fuzz, and modulation cards, he would have the single hottest (and best) product on the pedal market. I'm just sayin'... Dave?

3. mungo

mungo Member

Thanks for the info. On another note, has anyone ever compared the ZIM to something like the MI Audio tube zone.

thanks again

dug

4. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

Well I'll chime in. The Zim is an excellent design. Its got great sounds, its highly tweekable and versatile. If all those cards become available I WILL be getting another unit. Stereo Zims!

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I'll chime in too...

The thing about the Zim is, it is one of the most pleasing and exciting pedals I have. Others have talked about the sound, but let me just mention the "feeling" of it...

EVERY single time I use the Zim, I get playful in my mind, and I get excited to hear what sounds I will get out of it today. There is a REAL presence to the pedal (as in, the sound sounds like it emenates 6" in front of the speaker when using it) and it is RIGHT there. I can dial in a Marshall for example (did this the other night to play with my new Ultra-vibe, and suddenly it was there...tried other pedals ODs and fuzzes, nowhere near it) and consistent sounds, but the way Dave set it up on the B channel....it is like playing "OD Roulette" where you always win :dude
    Seriously....move the voice selector around anywhere, try the cut knob, if you don't like it (or even if you do) move it to boost...if you don't like it, or even if you do, mess with the gain...then, after playing with that just close your eyes and click the voicing knob one way or the other.

You get surprise after surprise, and though you can (using this method) run into some weird sounds, it is so simple...if you've cut try moving the knob to boost...suddenly that weird sound sounds fantastic.
    Suddenly you look at your watch, and you've been having a great time for 3 hours.

That's how it feels. It is like I get a smile when I start playing with it.

6. marcau

marcau Member

I've been groveling for the new ZIM cards on the forums for quite a while now. really really excited about the possibilities, but till the cards come out, its all that it is...

But back to the point, yes, the ZIM is awesome! for me, it makes it pointless to buy any other OD pedals, cause i can usually tweak the ZIM to sound close enough to whatever pedal i buy, thus resulting in a lot of returns... To me the difference in ODs is in the voicing, and with the ability to voice, the ZIM can morph into or close enough to any OD out there...

again, IMHO, and for my purposes.

7. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

i've got the first ZIM shipped out and it's been on my board ever since. I've had a million od's and distortion pedals try to knock it off the board, but it hasn't happened yet. It sounds perfect with EL84's, IMO.

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

The only mod I would like to see, would either be the same voicing option for the A side, or else a little more tone control on the A side.

But it isn't a complaint. The Zim (as mentioned above), I have tried side-by-side with my other favoirite OD's, all different kinds, and yeah...spending a little time with them, to my ears, I can get REALLY close to almost any of them. Plus there are weirder sounds in there that I can't get with a lot of my favorites.

The only thing...I should probably write down those settings (surprised there is no list going around with it to cop other sounds like there is with the Fuzz Factory).

I have gotten it damned close to the Zendrive (but there, the Zen still had a little something extra in cutting through), the Blues Devil, the Guvn'or, got it sounding close to my Klon, got it to make a strat into a Fender Concert amp sound to my ears JUST like a Marshall Plexi (it's set that way right now at home :AOK).

It's a real treat of a pedal!

9. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Hmmm... Heres what my Zim looks like with my CC1 and a few others that are long gone. :drool

[​IMG]

10. carltonh

carltonh Member

So I got a ZIM today, and I was expecting to really like it, but it just didn't do anything for me. It had Tar+ and CS cards. Maybe it was that they were a bit similar to my Blackstar and Stupid Box which I like better. Were any changes made since my ZIM was made in 12/03? Seriously, and not meaning to be mean, the cut and boost extremes with the voice knob sounds like putting different amounts of tissue paper in your ears for earplugs at a concert.

11. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Man I love that Blue Color on the CC1.

12. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

For those running the BB and Tar+ cards, how are you setting the BB to boost the Tar+?

13. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

Few years later, still benchmark for zillion of pedals that emerged.
    ZIM is quality+sound+versatility second to none.