FoxRox ZIM incoming...do I still need a KOT?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by popsongsmith, Apr 4, 2008.

1. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

I've got a KOT, which is great, but I've got a ZIM in the mail. Do I need both, or will the ZIM effectively replace the KOT?

2. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

I think you will find the ZIM is awesome, set it for a few of your favorite changed tones using the voicing knob and maybe a different ZIM card even. Then you may find you want to use the KoT for adding overdrive and boosting your existing tone without changing it. The two of them together will probably be perfect and work well together. Have fun and let us know what you find out after a while.

3. popsongsmith

Thanks Mike. I love my KOT. Back in the 80's I had a tube combo by Peavey called the Heritage, which had a built-in analog phaser. The cool thing about it was that it had a pull pot that stopped the sweep of the effect, and allowed you to manually sweep through and set it at a fixed position in the sweep. I used to nail the "Crazy Train" tone with that amp!

In any event, the only other phaser I've found that could do that trick is the Yamaha DG Stomp. When I saw that the ZIM was essentially designed around that concept, I knew I had to have it. I can't wait to stack it with the KOT.

4. Porkchop Xpress

Porkchop Xpress Member

Well, obviously, Mike knows what he's talking about here, but I will jump on board and say that with those two pedals you should be quite happy for years to come. The ZIM is the most versatile overdrive I have ever used and it sounds good in every configuration I've ever put it in. I love that pedal.

5. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

I've played the KOT v#4 and I own and still have the ZIM. I decided not to keep the KOT a couple of years back and to get on the waiting list and own one then.

That being said, both are incredible pedals each bringing something unique to the tonal palatte. I'll wait until I get my own KOT before I rant and rave about it because nothing is more pathetic than someone giving a review of a pedal that is not currently on their board.

Just yesterday, I received two new ZIM Cards: the CS and H9. I bought my ZIM off of Ebay and it had three cards at that time: B9, FF and BM. The FF and BM being Fuzz cards and I'm not a Fuzz guy at all. I sent the Fuzz cards in for a swap for the Clean Smile and Hot Nine and am very pleased with the choice. at this point, I think I like the clean smile best of all. I put it on the channel that can be 'voiced'.

When I first considered the Clean smile, I thought it was a Clean Boost; but it's not. It reminds me of the AC Booster or Timmy pedal in that it just adds some 'hair' to the signal. When the gain is maxed, it has enough on tap for some very good OD tones. Kick in the H9 side and you're in distortion territory.

As for the Voicing, I've actually only found one that I like. It's voice number 1 and I like to boost it to about 3 oclock or max. The other voices don't do anything for me at all. Of course, one of the great things about the ZIM is that, if you like your amps own 'voice' you can just set the ZIM's voice for noon and its' completely neutral.

You'll love the ZIM!

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

It really depends also on the zimcards you will be having with it.
    Some of them (I have stock Zimcards in mine) will either sound like a really great OD, or when you get into the voicings and cut and boost, will really alter in a good way.

The Kot tends to give you more of what you have in a great way.

I love the ZIM, mine seems to give me instant "Jimmy Page" Led Zep...that is what I first heard with it when I tweaked, in any direction the cut-boost. This is probably more to do with my ears, but after a while, say an hour at fairly high volumes, something happens where the sounds seem more and more alike and more out-of-phase (I believe at least part of the toen control is done by phasing, sort of like the center knob on a vibe) but it isn't my theory, it really is my ears, get fatigued and tell me it sounds more and more similar. On the other hand, this is after an hour of tweaking, tweaking, tweaking, as I love tweaking and getting a new sound. Typically I set to some mode (any mode) voicing, then cut a little listen, if I like it play, if not boost as much the opposite way, see if I like it, if not boost more, if I don't like it at the moment, cut as much as I boosted...if I don't like it, move the voicing to another number.

Within literally a few seconds I always have a new sound I dig...but after doing this a while, that's when maybe I get ear fatigued.

I can also set it and leave it. It has an amazing array of sounds built-in-

7. derek2615

derek2615 Member

Don't forget about the dip switches in the KOT for even more options. It ships in Clean/OD mode. I use an Xotic RC for clean so bumped the KOT up to an OD/Distortion on the yellow/red for some gainier OD sounds. Perfect! Some people knock the KOT for not having enough compressed gain sounds, I wonder if they tried the dips :rolleyes:. I almost sold my KOT on the emporium a couple of days ago because of this. Big Mistake... Big Mistake... Incredible Pedal Mike!

8. El Jefe

El Jefe Member

EH Bad stone can do stuck phasing, as can the Moog and the old chrome Morley phasers.

9. mfgobbi

mfgobbi Member

Why don't you find out and tell us...

I never played a KoT...

My Zim with VT and H9 cards can replace anything from clean boost to high gain overdrive (the H9 is higher gain than TS9 and probably gets close to a RAT). It's also more versatile than any OD pedal out there. Experiment swapping cards between the 2 positions, changing the order of the 2 effects , etc...it's a truly unique pedal.

10. popsongsmith

Absolutely. I suspect that they are not interchangeable, so I'll probably keep both. The KOT has an uncanny quality that I've never found in another OD pedal. It really does perform as advertised, which is that it makes a tube amp sound cranked, even at modest volumes. Really becomes a part of the amp's tone. It's a pedal I find myself keeping on all the time.

The concept behind the ZIM is just brilliant, and I can't wait to fire it up.

11. popsongsmith

Ok, so here's the skinny on the ZIM vs. KOT comparison. The ZIM is killer for versatility, and in it's stock version, is like having a high-gain boutique TS and a boutique BD2, with the versatility of the voicing control thrown in. The KOT is a different animal entirely. It really does it's own thing, and seems much more subtle that the ZIM. I'm leaning toward keeping the ZIM, at least partly because the opportunity cost of keeping the KOT is so high.