Foxrox Zim users - question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitarz_dave, Oct 19, 2008.

1. guitarz_dave

guitarz_dave Member

What has the Zim knocked off your pedalboard, and what do you prefer about it over those other gain pedals? How does it compare to some others like the Zendrive, OCD, Tim, etc?

2. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I love my ZIM. Glad I bought it, won't sell it, if lost would buy another.
    I have the stock ZIM by the way, so YMMV.

That said, it hasn't knocked anything off my board. I use the ZIM almost exclusively at home, and for recording.

The ZIM apparently uses "phase shift" as a kind of tone control. I love that and it is what gives it it's Jimmy Page, amazing range of sounds. But I have set it side by side my Zendrive, tweaked til I couldn't hear a difference, then used it with my band, and the Zen still cut beautifully and the ZIM didn't in THAT setting.

I think the OCD is a different animal also. The thing about the ZIM, it makes me smile every time I crank it up, and play with it and get all those sounds. But after some time, the sounds sound more similar to my old ears, and tend to sound more muffled. I don't know why. I'm talking hours though for it do do that.

If we did a lot of Led Zep songs, I would have it on my board.
    This is me...I tend to not want to adjust so much when playing, I like to get a sound from a pedal and that's the sound...maybe adjust slightly under way. So it's me that is the problem here.

The ZIM is a chameleon. While it also depends which cards you have in it, the ones I have (stock) the A channel is a really nice OD, without tone control knob outside the pedal (trimpot inside...). The B channel is the thing and it is SUCH a chameleon that I feel like it is wasted if I just use it to get one sound or even two. I guess I could have charted the settings I like for certain songs, but I have the same problem with ME pedals, that I don't like thinking, looking up a chart, etc. while I am playing. I like to think "THAT pedal gives me THAT sound"....

I know what the Zen and OCD (another fantastic pedal) do for me and what they sound like when I turn them on.

There are millions of guitarists NOT like me, that love tweaking etc...so it is just knowing how you yourself will use it that matters.

Like I said, I recommend this to any rock, blues, etc. guitarist. It is a BALL to play with and amazing versatility. IF you have old ears, it might get sounding "the same" after hours playing alone, but it is excellent for stacking tracks (recording) or duplicating led Zep, or just that interesting guitar sound you might need on a track.

3. DaveinLondon

DaveinLondon Member

The ZIM is my first and so far only "boutique" pedal. Prior to that I was using an old Japanese Boss OD-2 Turbo Overdrive and a Tech 21 American Woman. I still have both tucked away.

Between the swappable ZIM cards, internal trimpots and the controls, the ZIM is a tweaker's dream. I have the B9, H9 and BM cards. I'm not a "tweaker" and to be to be honest would prefer just volume, drive and a standard tone control for each side. I would like to try some of the pedals that get mentioned on TGP a lot but why bother when a more affordable ZIM card may get me in the ballpark of X or Y overdrive?

4. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

I had a Zim and there are a million and one things you can do w/ it. I only need it to do one (ok two) things. A pristine clean boost and a Marshally OD. I went from the VT and Clean smile to the Buffer for the clean boost...that worked out great altho I would have liked the tone control on the outside. What I couldn't get was the OD sound I wanted...I went thru all the cards for OD and didn't like em at all. The Phase Switch isn't all that intuitive when you are in a hurry...fun to tweek tho, I did spend many hours with it.

So I ended up w/ the 8 knob Menatone WMB.

5. guitarz_dave

guitarz_dave Member

Here is my question: (Given that I am trying to do a simple approach) Would you suggest I use the Zim, or would you suggest Zendrive + OCD instead? (Stomp Box Blues - I am very interested in your thoughts, as you have experience with all of these)

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence!
    You mention wanting a simple approach, but without more info I am not sure exactly what you mean by simple. I really, truly, rate ALL three way high up, but use them for different things.

I'm no authority, and this is just how I experience these pedals.

I go with Zendrive and OCD.

The fact that they are two distinct pedals, that I know how each is going to sound, but also can tweak on the spot BOTH if I find that I need more bass or treble, etc. They are both intuitive, and I can glance down and know how they are set to sound.

The ZIM is less intuitive to me, and there is no tone knob on the first OD channel. This alone is a big drawback for me for live playing. While at home I can tweak and get a cool sound in seconds, and tweak again and get another, in those cases that is the PEDAL playing ME...in other words, if I set out to get a specific sound it would take me a lot longer. I just play with it at home, get a sound and play what the sound seems to want.

That wouldn't work for me in a band or gig...and in my experience some of the cool sounds don't cut as well in the mix.

The ZD has fantastic cut through the mix, and the OCD cuts well, and I think it sounds similar to a Soldano SLO100, which I love, so...for me those are solid sounds I want to be able to get. For me it is also the simpler option.

I would say the two most fun pedals I own for home use though are the ZIM and the ZVex Fuzz Factory.
    They are always fun, especially when you are in a rut playing and soundwise. Always get a grin when I play with either.

But for pedalboard, playing out, or with a band, I chose the ZD and OCD.
    But if you can afford all three...that would be the way to go.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  7. aeonlux

aeonlux Member

Given the ZIM has I/O for each channel, you can put a tone pot or EQ between the engines. Using a full parametric EQ allows for a wide palette of dirt colors if you have something hot in "B."

cheers,
    Ian