Foxrox ZIM

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wingwalker, Jun 29, 2008.

1. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Tell me all about it...

Before anybody goes off, I did do a search but I want to get some info right here...

What cards are you using, did it replace any pedals for you? What kind of set up are you using etc...

2. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I really really liked the VT dirty boost. Natural-sounding overdrive, not too compressed or middy. I also played the H9 and the B9 card. The H9 was very much in the Ibanez mold, and the B9 sounded sweeter to my ears, but was not nearly as loud, ie: not as much boost.
    I love the idea of 2-in-1 pedals, and switching the cards.
    I totally did not "get" the channel w/ the phasing options. It seemed like it had too much control, like a studio tool rather than a bonehead guitar pedal.
    I also do not like many tubescreamers, so I was not as in love w/ it as I may have been if I had had a fuzz card to go with the VT. I would have liked to replace a boost and a fuzz, but like I said I had a boost and a TS, and that was not working for me. I realize I could have easily traded in on of the cards, which is awesome customer service if you ask me. Predictably I did not dig the 2 channels on at the same time, but others might, as there were definately some usable sounds there.

My $0.02

3. Loud Librarian

Loud Librarian Member

So far I have it stock with the VT and Hot 9 cards. This sounds stupid but it replaced the boost on my radial switchbone (which is a good boost in it's own right). Now I can use the mute function for the tuner out on the switchbone and keep the tuner out of the chain - it's either boost or mute, can't do both.

I use two amps and take advantage of the "splitability" of this pedal as I use the VT side to boost leads on the clean amp (after compression so there's a volume boost as well). The Hot 9 side boosts my dirty amp for leads, or the clean amp pre-compressor for some dirtier tones.

I agree about the voicing switch, very cool tonal options for recording, not as useful to me live. I could see using it when layering rhythm guitar tracks. I love the card concept and may experiment with some other choices.

Somebody here the TGP uses two ZIMs (4 different cards).

4. dave s

dave s Member

For higher gain stuff, mine had the T+ card. This card was supposed to be loosely based on the MXR Dist + and original Rat Pedals. The gain dial went from 1-8, each providing a different voicing.

The pedal itself, using the T+ card from the mildest to highest gain settings sounded to me like an older Mesa Boogie crunch all the way up to really smooth sustaining tones of a Soldano SLO or something like that. It would also do Recto-ish distortions with very sharp/crisp high end. On the highest gain settings, it would do a convincing fuzz tone as well.

The other card was the Buffer card ... which I never got at all. It didn't work well in conjunction with the T+ card. But, I was going for a high-gain pedal and the T+ card in Ch A did it in spades.

Overall, pedal is built like a tank and was VERY reliable.

dave

5. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

Just so no one's gets worried about the phasing options on channel B, as long as the cut/boost knob is centered it's just as if it wasn't there. It's a very powerful tone shaping tool and when I had a zim I used it very minimally.

6. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Well, Im mostly interested in the B channel mostly due to the extra controls...

I also love Rat pedals and fuzz pedals so I figured it might be a really useful tool to get some new sounds from some old favorites...even thought Im not much of a TS guy some of the TS based cards sound like cool ideas too!

Keep the thoughts coming guys!

7. dave s

dave s Member

You'll definitely want the higher gain card. And as you mentioned, with the 8-position 'voicing' control, the T+ card on mine went from crunch to high-gain to insane! VERY versatile.

dave

8. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Using the term "high gain" scares me a little...I don't want a saturated buzz box, please tell me thats not what Im in for...I just like a little more crunch than you can get out of a TS. I eally like my plain old stock Rat pedals but the voicing control has me really interested.

Also, how is the Fat Fuzz card at giving you traditioinal Fuzz Face sounds?? Anybody??

9. Loud Librarian

Loud Librarian Member

IMO the Hot 9 card has more crunch than a TS. As far as the voicing control, to me it sounds like the sweep of a phaser, but frozen in each position on the sweep if that makes sense. Some very cool tones to be had, but as theflash said you can dial out the voice switch settings easily enough with the depth control.

10. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

that's exactly what the voicing control is. and I agree that it's a powerful recording tool as well. The thing is, it's not programmable, so you basically need to pick a setting and go with it for live applications.

I ended up reversing the cards on mine, because I wasn't crazy about the VT on it's own, so I used it with the gain most of the way down, and AFTER the H9. That way, I could get the straight H9 tone, and hit it with the phase thing for a different flavor.

Ultimately, the lack of a front panel tone control killed the deal for me in terms of using it live, but I still might pick one up for recording applications.

If Dave Fox ever asked my opinion, I'd tell him that he should remove the phase thing from the ZIM, and add a tone control on both channels. Then take the phase concept and create a separate pedal that's not an OD pedal at all, but rather two footswitchable voicing controls, kind of like the thing Keeley does with the dual, footswitchable fixed wah circuit. That would be a great live pedal.

Just my $.02

11. medwards1969

medwards1969 Member

I have the T+, VT, H9, and Brown Muff cards. The stock pedal is the VT into H9, which is like a great compliment of distortion tones for input to a clean Fender type amp. In my opinion the Brown Muff card alone jacks the pedal up into the super-pedals league. If anybody asked me what to get on a ZIM, I would say either the stock VT and H9 if they need gain or beefed up tone, and possibley swap in a Brown Muff card if they want the authentic Muff Pi/Gimour grind effect.

Hey Dave, add a tremolo card, perhaps?

12. Jet Bycraft

Jet Bycraft Member

I love my ZIM! I also have the H9 card in channel A and the VT in channel B. This works good for me because I like to push the VT card with the H9 rather then the other way around. The VT card is very amp-like and pushing it with H9 really sounds great!

13. Wooley

Wooley Member

Couple of things:

I, for one, think the voicing knob is brilliant. People here describe it as a useful (studio) tool only, which I don't get at all. It allows me to find tones I would not otherwise have access to in any pedal I am aware of, and I used those tones live. No, I don't switch them around onstage, but I tweaked them at home to get tones no other pedal could give me, and then used that onstage for a totally different voice. All of the voices are useful and the boost/cut knob interacts well with all "voicings".

Next, I think (and I have read many posts that agree), that if you don't think you're a high gainer, then the stock H9 card will have all the gain you will need (especially since you can cascade the VT into it, boosting the gain). You can easily dial it in to normal screamer gain territory (even the lower ends of screamer gain), but you can also get significantly more gain than a screamer normally affords you if you want it. It is also a pretty smooth gain and, ignoring the pedal's versatility for a moment, is a fantastic tone all on its own. But make no mistake, it is a Tubescreamer. Do not expect "open" sounding tones.