Foxx Tone Machine clone?

CohenTheBarbarian

Silver Supporting Member
Hi all,

I am looking for a good clone of the Foxx Tone Machine.
I do not have a ton of requirements other than it needs to sound good (I guess this one is obvious but you never know ;)) and that the octave effect needs to be footswitchable.

I have read a ton of reviews and threads, watched all videos I could find on YouTube and I am down to 3 worthy candidates:
- HomeBrew Effects Ultimate Fuzz Octave (discontinued but can be found second-hand)
- Ronsound Stone Machine
- Retroman Wolf Tone Machine (could not find any video but this pedal gets a number of good recommendations so I am willing to put it up here)

I know the MXR Sub Machine is probably another good candidate but I am not sold from the videos I have watched, it sounds a little too smooth to my taste.

Anybody has experience with these? Any advise or recommendation, ideally from people who have been able to compare them?
I am open to suggestions beyond the 3 mentioned above but I am primarily interested in hearing about these 3 pedals.

Thanks!

Last edited:

alivegy

Isnt the fulltone ultimate octave a tone machine clone? I think the octafuzz is an octavio clone but if you're looking for an accessible and easy to find tone machine clone I would add a used ultimate octave to your list.

dshobe

Rocky Mountain Way By The Atlantic
Gold Supporting Member
The Fulltone Ultimate Octave is awesome, can't go wrong with it if you don't mind the size or orientation. On the cheap, the Danelectro French Toast is great, but no footswitchable octave.

CohenTheBarbarian

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the suggestion.
I did check the Ultimate Octave as well but it did not make the cut as I find the bright setting too thin and the fat setting too bassy.
Personal taste of course.

3waytie4last

Mumbler
Platinum Supporting Member
I've bought 7 pedals from this guy so far, including the Foxx Tone Machine. :aok

Upforgrabsfx

Sorry, missed the footswitchable bit at first, but if you got nimble toes you might-could flick the octave switch up/down.

Alternative, Daredevil Pedals Daisho.

Last edited:

CohenTheBarbarian

Silver Supporting Member
if you got nimble toes you might-could flick the octave switch up/down.

I think my toes are as nimble as it gets but I am not sure I would trust a toggle switch to replace a footswitch in this case :)

I bloody love my Ultimate Octave. Even though the switch setting are extreme, the tone control actually is quite powerful in brightening/warming up the setting choice.

I cannot help but be moved by all this love for the Ultimate Octave. Interesting to hear about the swipe of the tone knob. I’ll give it another shot.

I would still be keen to hear about the pedals I mentioned in the initial thread.

Morgancograve

I think my toes are as nimble as it gets but I am not sure I would trust a toggle switch to replace a footswitch in this case :)

I cannot help but be moved by all this love for the Ultimate Octave. Interesting to hear about the swipe of the tone knob. I’ll give it another shot.

I would still be keen to hear about the pedals I mentioned in the initial thread.

yep typical of TGP (and I’m guilty of this here) to ignore the post and suggest something different!

Warkli

Not trying to convince you but i really love my MXR Sub-machine. I always think "this is definetely not for everyone" when play through it so I easily understand if its not for you. But the reason i write is your definition of "smooth". I believe you need to hear it in person. Smooth is not a good word of choice for this particular pedal IMO.

whateverdude

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Ronsound Stone Machine and a Doom in Analog Evil Gypsy which is a highly tweakable clone that doesn’t have a switchable footswitch but is the best fOXX Tone Machine I’ve tried yet. The builder can be found on Reverb.

I took a chance and threw a Hail Mary because he’s in Australia and there was no clips on YouTube, but I couldn’t be happier with my fuzz tone.

it has mids control, ge/si switch, octave on/off. Tons of tone sculpting capabilities. And it was fairly priced.

CohenTheBarbarian

Silver Supporting Member
OP here.

Thanks for all your comments.

I have had another look at the Fulltone UO and I still do not think this is a pedal for me. There is a pretty wide swipe of tone using the fat/bright switch in combination with the tone knob but I think it sounds a little nasally, not a sound that appeals to me. It's a pity it's discontinued as it makes it difficult to try it on. For now I'll play it safe and look for something else.
I also got a chance to try the MXR Sub Machine in person in a nearby store and while it sounds nice, this is also not for me. The fuzz is too smooth, I am looking for something a little gnarlier.

So I am back to where I started and considering the HomeBrew Effects UFO or the Ronsound Stone Machine.
For now I am leaning more toward the HBE based on the demos I have listened to. I will hunt one second hand and see what I can find.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom