• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Foxx Tone Machine or French Toast ...without octave

fishinjim

If there was no octave switch on a Foxx Tone Machine, along what lines of fuzz would the circuit be comparable to?

Asking as I'm a fan of the little Danelectro French Toast pedal, but I never use the octave switch, and I always keep the gain way down or off.
Can't seem to get any other fuzz/od's/distortion pedals to come up with the same sounds I'm getting out of that pedal.
Have tried tonebenders, fuzz faces, muffs and others to match French Toast sound I'm getting. A couple of muff variants have come close, but not close enough.

DonaldDemon

Silver Supporting Member
To my ears it's just got its own thing going on. A very fat and wooly fuzz. I use the fuzz by itself 99% of the time on my HBE UFO. It's still my favorite fuzz of all.

boppy

I'm not sure about the circuitry, but I've always thought the French Toast has a sort of Mosrite Fuzzrite vibe about it.

8strings0hair

Yeah, I believe the French Toast is a copy of the Foxx Tone Machine.
So is the HBE UFO (which I owned and loved).
Lately I've been eyeing the MXR La Machine. Tried one in the store, and I liked the range of the knobs (especially volume) better than the UFO.
I'm like the OP, I like the quality of the fuzz, without the octave engaged.

BluesHarp

Prescription Electronics Experience lets you use the fuzz with or without the octave.

tremolo3

I love my French Toast stacked with the Ultimate Drive into my Twin Reverb, but the $hitty switch forces me to use it in a bypass looper... If only I could get that sound in a single small stomp box.

fishinjim

I love my French Toast stacked with the Ultimate Drive into my Twin Reverb, but the $hitty switch forces me to use it in a bypass looper... If only I could get that sound in a single small stomp box.

Looper pedal for me too. OD fed by the French Toast as well.
The pedal seems to play well with others, either before or after in the chain... as long as the gain isn't up too high.

I have one on the workbench of a local pedal builder waiting for a rehouse.

Had some interest in the La Machine when it came out, then sort of forgot about it. May have to revisit that interest. I like that its a bit more compact than many FTM clones.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom