Fractal Audio Axe-FX - This thing is STILL a Monster Part III

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Scott Peterson, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

And so it goes.

The second "Monster" Axe-FX thread is now 1000 posts; so it is closed to save on issues with performance on TGP when mega-threads exist.

That this discussion has gone this far is amazing to me.

The Monster II thread got very personal. Folks are debating about things not related in any way to the Axe-FX; that's a slippery slope. Keep it out of the personal slams.

The two main devices used in the last thread are An ad hominem argument and the "Straw Man Fallacy".

An ad hominiem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin: "argument to the man", "argument against the man") consists of replying to an argument or factual claim by attacking or appealing to a characteristic or belief of the source making the argument or claim, rather than by addressing the substance of the argument or producing evidence against the claim. The process of proving or disproving the claim is thereby subverted, and the argumentum ad hominem works to change the subject.

A straw man argument is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.[1] To "set up a straw man," one describes a position that superficially resembles an opponent's actual view, yet is easier to refute. Then, one attributes that position to the opponent. For example, someone might deliberately overstate the opponent's position.[1] While a straw man argument may work as a rhetorical technique—and succeed in persuading people—it carries little or no real evidential weight, since the opponent's actual argument has not been refuted.[2]

Drop that sort of tact please.

Let's keep the discussion to the gear and leave all the psychobabble out of it.

As I type this, we are about a week into firmware version 7.0 of the Axe-FX.

It's been a remarkable ride from version 3.15 (when I got mine) to now. I'm going to paste the update notes so you can get a feeling for the level of what Fractal offers - for FREE.

IMHO, which means in MY honest OPINION, this thing has given me everything I've ever asked for at this point. The user cab IR's and the new reworked power tube settings seal the deal for me.

I've done over 60+ shows with this box direct to FOH. I've not had one issue, one hiccup or been less than pleased with what I can do and what I am getting from this thing once.

Peace.

And again - keep it off the personal tip. If you come onto this thread for a fight, you are probably in the wrong place.

2. Scott Peterson

Here you go. This is just what was done from version 6.0 to version 7.0:

3. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

Scott can you PM me your email. This afternoon I am going to send you 3 patches to see what you can do with them. My goal is to go pure FRFR. I am only using the amp/cab as a stopgap. If you could listen and help getting me closer to what I need with basic sounds - then maybe that will be some positivity that we can share with the community and that can't be all bad.

4. Scott Peterson

PM sent.

We'll see what we can do. If you can, send me your contact information too and good times to call you. I'd like a chance to talk to you about it if needed.

Peace.

5. zygoat

zygoat Supporting Member

I'm thinking about giving the Axe another chance. I only owned it for about a month and then sold it. I'm happy with my amp and pedals but I keep hearing amazing clips withe the newer amp models.

6. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Yeah, I have GAS for one pretty bad.

7. 9-Pin

9-Pin Member

For those who think that Axe-FX is hard to program and complex, it truly is only as complex as you make it.

I have had my Axe for 8 months or so, but because of family and work, I haven't had any time to really spend with it. For an example, I have programmed exactly THREE patches of my own. :huh

I sat down yesterday to start programming some patches for the cover band that I am in. We just started, so there isn't a huge rush. The first patch I made was for Freddie King's version of Ain't no Sunshine. I just grabbed the Brownface model, eq'd it and threw in a little splapback delay, following the suggestions on the Wiki. It sounded very good (to me). It took me a little while to do, but that had more to do with me still learning the tool than the tool itself. I also spent some time messing with Drive blocks to see if I wanted to go that way or not.

After taking a break, I came back to try a patch with a completely different flavor. This one was a straight up rock tune. At first I grabbed one of the Marshall sims, but I wasn't feelin' it, so I paged down a little bit more, and grabbed the Wreck sim. Perfect! I adjusted the eq, and the master, and was off running. This one took me less time, because I had a clearer idea of what I wanted.

So in the matter of maybe an hour, I had two great sounding (to me) patches to work with, and I didn't even touch any of the advanced parameters. I am by no means a pro-level player, but I wouldn't have been able to get anything that had a "wreck" sound without the Axe.

I am playing my Axe through the FX return of my JMF Spectra and a 2x12 loaded with C-Rex speakers. Why? Because that is what I had when I bought my Axe. It sounds great this way. I do want to use the Cab sims as well, but I need to save up for an FRFR solution of some sort (Atomics, Traynor, QSC, etc.). :cool:

t doesn't HAVE to be hard. KISS

8. Ben R

Ben R Member

I'm just replying so that I can be on page 1.

Yay!

Seriously, I like my AXE FX Ultra. It's one of the best musical purcahses I've ever made. Possibly THE best. I have no agenda except to express my opinion. ...Which is that I'm glad I bought one.

9. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

LOL :p I was thinking of doing that just for fun--you beat me to it!

and I'll get "personal" while I'm at it. I just recently saw that Stephane Herbuel is a member here on TGP. I came across his old web site (no longer up) several years ago. He's one of the most amazingly versatile guitarists I've ever heard! He had a bunch of videos playing guitar in different styles of various well known artists.

Hey Stef--you should post more of your videos on Youtube! Especially the "Jeff Beck", "Allan Holdsworth" and "Hot for Teacher" :D

I totally dig the part at 3:55 in the one you posted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRsqXTYgag8

10. Ghostman574

Ghostman574 Member

I am happy with the Axe-FX and I am using it on a regular basis both live and in the studio. I am impressed with the models and tweaks that continue to come out, typically most companies would have you pay for the extras. What I like best about the unit is its versatility, I can run it with the models or just as a high end/guitar specific effects unit. I really appreciate Scott and Peter for turning me on to this unit.

11. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Did I make it on page one of V3? :)

Still digging my Axe-FX. Version 7.0 of the firmware really sealed the deal. After hearing some of the recorded tones I'm debating giving FRFR a try.

Ok, what are the favorites among the FRFR realm today. Is the QSC HPP12i thingy the top of the heap right now?

12. jazzgtrl4

jazzgtrl4 Supporting Member

Hi. Hows that new exp. pedal working out Spak? i should have mine soon. about to upgrade to 7.0 today. just backing up a few patchs..as far as FRFR im using two FBT Maxx2a's. they are 10's and it sounds killer. My whole thing was a weight and size issue. If the QSC's were lighter or smaller i would definetly consider them. im sure they sound killler. I used to run JBL Eons these FBT blow them away IMHO

13. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

FWIW, one way to get around the pop issue is to set up an expression pedal to pan between to amp models.

14. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

It would be really cool to setup a thread of what this commmunity feels are the exceptional Axe-FX recording examples. And with the bar set high it could really be a showcase.

15. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

If you decide to go the QSC route (or if you just want to try mine out) shoot me a PM or an e-mail. I've got one I'm not using right now.

16. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

I really appreciate the offer, thanks.

17. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I think so, but dang it, I'm stuck on page two. :cry:

18. solo-act

solo-act Member

Version 7 is soooo nice. The high end sounds a lot more like hot glass bottles, the harmonics are so much more sensitive, it blooms into feedback much easier, and the dynamics are more addictive than ever. Woo hoo!

Cliff does have a unique advantage. Normally amp builders lose some control of their amp chassis once they've sold it. Anyone can see it, and without serious legal protection, it's hard to protect a design. Cliff's secrets are in software, and he updates it so fast, even if people could copy it (which they can't) they could never keep up with his innovations. :AOK

19. jazzgtrl4

jazzgtrl4 Supporting Member

Ya just upgraded to 7. it sounds well...alot better. I notcied that right away. great job Cliff.

20. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

Heh made page 2 of what will probaly be a 65 to 70 page thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.