Fractal Audio Axe-Fx - Who Really Cares What You Think??!!!

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Josh O, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Josh O

Josh O Member

Maybe I'm grumpy because I'm tired, maybe it's the extra stress I've been feeling at work lately, but with the going trend of the various Axe-Fx threads that have come up on our forum, I have to say "who really cares what you think"!!!!! I happen to be pro Axe-Fx, for what I need, it's been an absolute dream and continues to be. If the Axe isn't your thing, that doesn't bother me one bit, everyone likes what they like, that's what makes this world go around, individuality. If you've given the Axe an honest run for the money and it didn't jingle your bell, that's cool with me. If you've used the Axe for awhile and found that you wanted to go back to tube amps, that's cool too, no explanation needed and I'm not going to try and convince you to change your mind. If I were in the same boat, I'd expect the same in return. If you don't like the Axe because you don't like the interface or the fact it doesn't have bass/treble/mid knobs, that's cool too.

What is beginning to get under my skin (which is sad to begin with, it's the internet for crying out loud) is the naysayers who just show up to the various Fractal threads just to cast dispersions at the mere idea that Axe could sound anything like a tube amp, how those who like the Axe couldn't possibly have any idea what a real tube amp sounds like, that the claims Fractal makes are false in this regard and how good can this thing be if they constantly release upates, etc, etc and that when a pro Axe user tries to explain their position, they are accused of getting defensive or that the mere fact that they try to explain is proof positive that the Axe ain't all it's cracked up to be. You know what I don't like Strats, I've given them many a fair shake, owned a couple, tried many, they just ain't for me. Maybe I should jump into a Strat thread and start casting dispersions on those who love Strats because I don't like them. Or maybe I should jump into a Two Rock or Komet thread where people are gushing over their amp purchase and many kudos are passed on to question why they spent so much money on an amp and how to my ears it doesn't sound any better than a Fender Twin so why spend the extra $3000+. Or maybe jump into a Tim or Klon thread and question why not just buy a Bad Monkey? See where I'm going with this??

C'mon people it's a piece of gear for crying out loud! Alot of us are amazed by what the Axe can do and alot of us gush over it, why do some people feel the need to just stomp that out?

2. GITTarzann

GITTarzann Member

THis is why I don't enter debates any more about the Axe. I started on HC a long time ago and was met with the same type of responses I have read a lot of the posts and it makes me little upset as well. I just figure....not my loss and carry on .

3. albuht813

albuht813 Member

I understand your sentiment. I feel that way too sometimes and those threads are definitely difficult to ignore.

However. All this discussion helps people to learn more about the gear being discussed. It's true that some people's comments are out of line/out of place or topics are beaten beyond a bloody pulp, but these threads really delve deep into the tiny details surrounding the gear. It's definitely beneficial to those researching these pieces of gear.

I remember when I was searching for info on a TR Type 3, there wasn't much info around. Multiple searches didn't produce much info....a handful of soundclips and several small threads were all I had to go on. I still purchased the T3 anyway, but Tag's legendary thread a year later had all the information I was searching for. I'm lucky this amp was for me and Tag's thread would have confirmed it for me much earlier. Could have saved me some agony!

4. jazzwannabe

jazzwannabe Supporting Member

I don't care if some guys hate the Axe-Fx. I'd love to have one for my dinky studio.

5. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

This is a gear discussion site. The Axe-FX is a cutting edge piece of gear that is going to be talked about. If someone creates a thread gushing about the Axe, it can't see the problem with others sharing their opinions on the unit even if they differ with the stance of the OP. Also, if we shouldn't care about the opinions of the people that don't like the Axe, why should we care about the opinions of those that dig it?

There's no reason that the threads should not be civil.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  6. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

If you like it buy it, if you don't like it don't.

Play one and experience it for yourself though...

7. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I can't wait to get down to Tone Merchants in OC and do my own taste test. I suspect that I'll like it a lot but it still might not be what I'm looking for. I promise to keep an open mind.

8. defiance

defiance Member

axeFX i think is a great thing for the studio and live...for a coverband think about going from a SRV song to Santana to Van Halen...very hard to do all on the same amp...
    now with Axe-FX its possible. but for me i will stick with my 3 amp set up...i like having the controls all there ready to tweak at a whim...having my AC30 on one side and the DC30 on the other...then mix in the marshall 18W in the center...theres just something about it that is amazing

9. AdamGian

AdamGian Member

Good post Josh O. Funny there's no acrimony coming from the crowd you are referring too.

Maybe they're looking in the mirror and choosing to not prove you right.

10. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon

"I'm so sick of the Axe-Fx threads I'm going to start another one to rehash the same arguments!" - Josh O.

11. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

+1. :huh

12. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

Some of the stuff I've read or ended up 'defending' my choice of gear over:

It's a cult. I know it is. Every time someone is remotely negative, they are attacked with no mercy. There's blood running in the streets from the mobs running around defending this thing. You've all gone crazy, only a tube amp will do. It's all pirates and ninjas and fake marketing hype.

That one guy on TGP, he's insane. He says he likes this thing more than a tube amp? Dude is a loony toon. Must be on the payroll. Obvious shill for the company.

It'll be a doorstop in 6 months. You'll just pump it and dump it; that's how you work. Does it feel like a real amp? Hey, I've read your posts... do you really like this thing? Does it really sound like you say it does? Can it do a )(#*&$%(@ amp? Your ears must be broken, it's digital hash. It's a computer! Come on! Are you nuts? I think you've become obsessive with this thing, it's all you post about anymore. It's taken over your web persona. The clips suck. Prove it. All you do is tweak, I know it. It's too complicated. If he came out with something with a few amps and cabs and knobs, I'd consider it. Do you really gig thing or do you have an amp mic'd up backstage? That can't be coming from this box, you have a rig hiding somewhere back there. You can't run direct to FOH, are you stupid? It's just a POD on steroids; you are just fooling yourself. It's not even an amp or a cab, wtf?

Sounds digital. Every time you get an upgrade, you rant on and on how great it is now. It's finally 'arrived'. Pfft. Yea, sure. If it was so great, why'd he have to upgrade it?

You are so stupid for liking this thing, I don't have time to discuss it with you any further. (Even though I tore into you on your own thread). You have an agenda, you must be getting a kickback. Flavor of the month. In a few weeks, every one will have theirs up for sale. I'll pick one up for sh&t's & giggles for $150 next year. It's a computer; it'll never hold up to gigging.

:D

Truth? I've gigged it over 70 times. It's never blinked. 100% uptime, no maintenance. Dependable at every show. It's been utterly consistent. It keeps evolving. It feels good. It sounds good. I have created my own tones from the first day I owned it. I have never been happier with my rig. I've been just as happy. If you don't think it'd work for you, then don't try to make it work for you. Stay with your own rig and make music. I don't care if anyone buys one or not. I am not on the take, am not getting any kickback nor have any compensation from the company. I like to talk shop with guys, and it's easier to talk shop with guys that know what the heck I am talking about. It just keeps on getting better; and if you tried it and hated it at version 3... or 4... or 5... or 6... you might love it at version 7. Or not. It's a moving target though. It's a better value than 99.99999% of all the rest of the gear I've owned because it just does so much so well so consistently with so much control over every aspect. It's as simple as you want it to be, and as complicated as you want to dive into.

Don't fear change. Don't want change? Then don't change. I don't slam your gear on your threads, don't slam my gear on my threads. I respect your choices, and only ask that you respect mine. You don't need to agree with me. I post my opinions and note that they are my opinions. Think I overstate my feelings? Great. Ignore me. I don't attack other folks with my Axe-FX'ness'. I know what works for me and I'll tell you about it. Not so you'll agree or use what I use. Because that's what musicians do when they talk shop. And that's all it is.

Out.

Peace.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  13. Ghostman574

Ghostman574 Member

:agree

Its just another tool in the tool box. I do think the Axe-FX is a pretty damn good tool.

14. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

Trying to care..........trying........wait!!! oh damn....almost but....nope...don't care.....:rotflmao

15. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

And for some its the tool that allowed them to throw away the tool box.

16. Ghostman574

Ghostman574 Member

Very good point.

17. jpage

jpage Member

Amazing how much time, effort and typing is invested into letting everyone know how little approval matters...

18. ShredHeadJHJ

ShredHeadJHJ Member

Why don't you & TEH AXEE get a damn room already!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. rockster12

rockster12 Supporting Member

while I may agree that it really doesn't matter what anyone thinks and that it should only be about what you think about it, your statement is a bit conflicting as you say "who cares" but obviously you must "care" or you wouldn't have spent so much time typing out your post in the first place.
    Me,,,, I couldn't care less.

20. mctallica1

mctallica1 Member

:aok