Fractal Audio Axe FX...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jazztone, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Jazztone

Jazztone Member

O.K. ... I have read through the encyclopedia on the Fractal Audio AXE FX and I am sufficiently intrigued. Many of you have embraced this new technology with impressive gusto.

I want to hear from those of you who found the FAAXEFX less than impressive. Did this unit fall short of anyones expectations? Did anyone not love it? What are it's limits and where does it need improvement? How does get along with pedals in front of it?

I want to believe the FAAXEFX is going to change the way I see guitar amplification. I have myself on the list.
    Why wouldn't I buy this thing?

2. will132

will132 Member

If you have ADD you might want to pass. It has some great capabilities, but you have to dig.

The added equipment, powered speakers, amps, ect. If you don't already have you need to figure that in.

Great piece of equipment, just too much for me and my needs. You just need to be realistic about that. If you are, then I think it is for most people.

3. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

have you heard my clips? I just use a single amp model (fender). I haven't even used the other models. The fender and pedals are incredibly versatile.

4. Jazztone

Jazztone Member

bump for more impressions

5. Jazztone

Jazztone Member

jzucker,

I did see your videos and was most impressed. Are you using a full range cab with the Axe FX? Did you just use a room mike? Does the Axe FX work well with pedals in front? What pedals do you like to combine with it?

Thank you for your impressions.

6. jzucker

It works great with pedals. Many of my clips with it were recorded with a TS9, Zendrive or BB Preamp pedal in front of it. The Ethos pedal also sounds great with the axefx. I'm using with a guitar cab. I think it sounds much better for vintage, fusion and bluesy tones with the guitar cab. Jazz guitar tones are better with a full range cab unless you have an EV type speaker in your guitar cab. (The RW&Blues speaker sounds pretty good for jazz but the celestion G1265 does not)

7. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

jz - i hope this doesn't come off the wrong way. it does seem silly for a run-of-the-mill schmoe like me to buy one and use it the way you are using it. the axefx costs about 4x what a good bassman or bandmaster head might cost. add a power amp. . . that's like another head you could have bought. you have clearly fallen in love with the sound you have found. couldn't you have fallen for an amp that costs about $1000 dollars less? i realize you also have a marshall and several other amps at your fingertips now. . . . but you really are NOT using them. . . . like I said, i hope you understand where i'm coming from and don't take it as a slam. hard earned cash is just that where i'm from. . . it's earned the hard way. . . lots of hours . . and WORK. is this the part where i tell you that you rip? cause you do. . . very good vids too.

8. jzucker

No offense taken. A few points:

• I can get my sound at any volume
    • I can record direct and don't have to mess with palmers, attenuators, etc.
    • The unit has lexicon, studio quality algorithms for reverb, chorus, delay, etc.
    • I can simulate various cabinet configurations even through a guitar cab.
    • I can also run it through a tube amp as a hyper modeling system
    • It has 2 dozen other amps for me to experiment with. I just haven't done it yet. :)

9. orogeny

That is one excellent answer. . . or a bunch of 'em, actually. . . . I think I get it now. . . I've never been a record-direct guy yet, so it didn't even occur to me (duh). I am basically a live player, so I was a bit stuck in my box. Thanks for removing the tape so I can pop my head out.

10. orogeny

Hey, I forget. . . what are you using for power?

11. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

Electricity? :rotflmao

12. jzucker

I'm using the effect return of a Markbass LMII head. This head weighs 5lbs and is INCREDIBLY loud.

Another thing is that I'd like to start using the other amp models but I haven't gotten around to it. I like the sound of the plexi amp for hendrixy rhythm stuff and the vox amp is cool too.

13. cam

cam Supporting Member

Jack, fyi I'm getting this when I click on your "AxeFX" link in your sig:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /axefx/ on this server.
    Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    Apache/1.3.37 Server at www.sheetsofsound.net Port 80

14. mwc2112

mwc2112 Supporting Member

Yeah, for direct recording I can't think of anything better. It really is the ultimate all-in-one studio tool.

I had the Ultra up until recently, but wound up selling it. It was by far the best piece of gear I've ever owned, but with a baby in the house and going back to school it was getting almost no use so it wasn't worth the investment for me. Once I get my MBA and have more time to play then I will be buying one again (although probably just the Standard... unless he has a floorboard version by then, then I'll get that).

15. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

For me the biggest downside of the Axe FX is the total cost of being up and running with a fully functional professional rig.

An Ultra with a QSC monitor and All Access Controller can run $3,500 or so.

Many tube heads that can't do nearly as much cost even more so I think that the cost of ownership is a reasonable investment (actually a bargain compared to what it would cost to replicate it's capabilities with individual components) but no matter how you slice it, it isn't cheap.

If you would consider buying a Bogner or Two Rock the cost of admission is more than acceptable IMO, but if you're a DRRI type guy the total cost will probably give you pause.

16. mwc2112

mwc2112 Supporting Member

That is a downside, but the cost can be significantly reduced depending on your needs. For example, unless you really are going to use the Ultra features I would get the Standard. And the Ground Control Pro is half the price and offers very similar functionality to the All Access (you just have 2 less instant access switches and a bank of 4 instead of 5). The powered speaker cab is definitely something you have to try out to see what you like. I wound up going with a 12" offering from dB Technologies that I think sounds fantastic. So... all new that setup would be ~$2350 (~$2525 if you go with the QSC amp). Not cheap, but quite a bit less then $3500.

17. jzucker

Or buy the axefx and a Markbass LMII head (around $2k for both) and use your existing guitar cab. The markbass can also be used on its own if you play bass or acoustic guitar or even vocals.

18. mude

mude Supporting Member

What are you guys running on the floor to change things on the fly?

Sounds like the All Access, etc.? Any other ideas?

Do you have a floor controller Jack? Thanks.

Evan.

19. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Standard + Pedal + FRFR Monitor: @$2000

Amp head + Pedal + Speaker Cab + Lexicon FX: @4000

You CANNOT discount the money you're saving when it comes to quality FX.

20. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I use the MIDI mate. I'd step up to something else, but I'm waiting for a FAS controller to come out. The MIDI Mate works great in the interim.

EP