1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Fractal Audio's New FM3

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by LqdSndDist, Apr 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Retro Guitar Rick

Retro Guitar Rick Member

ARES, no, but it was fun watching that guy say "What!" 50 times... I'm hanging on to my HX Stomp as my fun very portable solution, until I get my FM3, in about 6 months or whatever. I had a line 6 Pocket Pod, back in the day, never really liked it much... Thanks for posting that video, I enjoyed it.:D

handyman likes this.
  2. Boomdoggy

Boomdoggy Supporting Member

Sorry if I missed it but will fracpad work with this?

3. hippietim

hippietim Silver Supporting Member

That's going to be up to the guy that developed FracPad. I suspect he'll want FM3 customers so it seems likely but that's still a question for the FracPad developer.

4. bigfoamfinger

bigfoamfinger Supporting Member

Which pedalboard are you guys were planning on using for the FM3? I'm having some difficulty with the dimensions, as the width of the FM3 is 9.2 inches. The smaller Pedaltrains don't look like they'll work when zipped (Nano: 5" and Metro:8")

I'd hate to go any bigger on the board, as I just don't need all that space for the FM3 and 1 other pedal.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  5. Retro Guitar Rick

Retro Guitar Rick Member

I've learned to be very careful about what I say and how I say it at both the Fractal & The Line 6 forums, there are a lot hardcore zealots on both. I recently, got shish kabobbed on the Helix forum because I dared to suggest that Line 6 is taking too long to release their firmware update 2.8 that they announced last year and have still yet to implement.

6. Dan Desy

Dan Desy Member

Dude, please...

veritechc likes this.
  7. yeky83

yeky83 Member

Probably gonna go with Pedaltrain Metro 24 to mount the FM3, FC-6, and G10S on it. I'm not worried about depth as the softcase has extra space. The height might be too tight though, so maybe I'll get the premium softcase but that's kinda lame.

8. veritechc

veritechc Member

That was actually announced in January at NAMM. I know I was at the booth and was a speaker there.

That for sure will not happen in the Facebook group. Our mods are THE best.

Imerkat and LordByron like this.
  9. Retro Guitar Rick

Retro Guitar Rick Member

Here's proof it was announced/confirmed last year from the Line 6 website dated December 2018.
    https://line6.com/support/topic/383...-release-date-not-until-after-namm-jan-24-27/
    Also, 6 months and counting for an update?!? you call that the best? Fractal would have had 10 updates in that amount of time...

10. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Supporting Member

There are Facebook groups for this stuff?!?!?

gumtown and hippietim like this.
  11. benvigil

benvigil Member

... after the 3 months between the announcement and delivery of said product ... and the 6 months before your name comes up on the waitlist. ;):D

Dan Desy likes this.
  12. DeSelby

DeSelby Member

Looking at the videos from Boston I doubt I'll put it on a pedalboard. It looks substantive enough to stand alone. I'll run a sidecar if I need to - my Morningstar MC6 will probably stay on a Nano but that's because it’s small and benefits from the stability the pedalboard offers. Pedalboards make sense when you’ve got stuff you need to tie together but I'm not sure for this. It looks fair sized and hefty. Still, you never know.

13. bigfoamfinger

bigfoamfinger Supporting Member

Good point. I was also thinking from a standpoint of keeping the FM3 safe/secure while transporting, but I guess we could always keep it in an old laptop bag or something.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    DeSelby likes this.
  14. Vildhjarta8

Vildhjarta8 Member

Just speed crunched the numbers. I may have miscategorised some items as I'm not being as thorough as I normally would (given I'm at work).
    • Fractal has had (to date) 17 updates in the same period of time.
    • In terms of new amp models, Fractal has added 5 whilst L6 is adding 8.
    • In terms of effects models, Fractal has added 5 dedicated new models whilst L6 is adding 8. This however doesn't include the additional reverbs that Fractal added in 3.0 (?), so Fractal has definitely added more new models in amongst this that I'm just not going to calculate.
    • In terms of bug fixes/improvements: Fractal has something like 50, whilst L6 has 11 listed.
    • In terms of sundry features: Fractal has ~45, whilst L6 has ~10.
    So, ultimately, both companies are developing myriad improvements for their user base. In both cases, they're bringing a lot to table but L6 obviously favour bundling more things into each update, whilst some fractal updates are comparatively small (for example: 4.03 only included "Fixed Div/13 CJ 11 amp model muted when two Amp blocks used.")

But as a lot of people have said elsewhere across the internet, the length of time spent on 2.80 largely has to do with the unification of their code base. That's a big under the hood upgrade that (unfortunately) takes a lot of time and resources to get done: you can't release it half baked.

As a long time helix owner with an AxeFx III on it's way, I'm just excited to now be getting double the GAS-squashing christmases every year. It's a good time to be a guitarist.

EDIT for thread relevance: I haven't been around for the release of a new product with fractal: do they tend to have a large number of initial updates when a new device drops or do their 1.0 software tend to be fairly robust?

veritechc, DeSelby and LordByron like this.
  15. mikah912

mikah912 Supporting Member

JiveTurkey likes this.
  16. Retro Guitar Rick

Retro Guitar Rick Member

I'm a long time Line 6 and Fractal user, I like both companies for what they provide, and there are things I love and things I hate about both. They each have strengths and weaknesses. Which is why, I can't wait to get my FM3, I'm going to put it in the effects loop of my helix, and have the ultimate rig. Probably still be firmware 2.71 though!

veritechc likes this.
  17. mikah912

If you're dead-set on using the FM3 modeling in lieu of Helix modeling, why would you care what firmware it's on?

18. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Supporting Member

IT'S NOT BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE!!!! DUH!!!

:D:cry::hide:banana

hippietim and mikah912 like this.
  19. hippietim

hippietim Silver Supporting Member

Umm....because amp modeling is not all that the Helix does. Also, he never said he wouldn’t continue to use the Helix modeling.

20. mikah912

I don't think he indicated that there was a "can't do without" effect or amp listed for 2.8 either, tho.

Anyway, as I've already said - and as @Vildhjarta8 affirmed - you'll get similar amounts of aftermarket content from both companies. Fractal just releases it on a way more regular cadence. Line 6 packs it into bigger and less frequent updates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.