Fractal Audio's New FM3

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by LqdSndDist, Apr 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hippietim

hippietim Silver Supporting Member

It’s not different behavior. It’s toggling between two scenes. Different behavior would be first tap switches to scene 3 and second tap turns on Delay.

Do you consider Scene Increment to have 8 functions? Because it does by your definition.

yeky83 likes this.
  2. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

You and @bdrepko both put forward equally persuasive arguments. This jury of 1 finds himself hung on this very unimportant question.

dougb415, yeky83, Willowdale and 3 others like this.
  3. cliffc8488

cliffc8488 Member

Precisely. There's only so much heat you can dissipate in a small chassis. Add to that the requirement for harsh environments (outside, on a hot day in direct sun) and you have to be careful.

There actually is a fan in the unit but it's controlled by a thermostat and under normal conditions it doesn't run.

Reliability is paramount in a product like this. You can't have it shutting down during a performance.

SigXer, stratzrus, MIJLOVER and 19 others like this.
  4. Bishop5150

Bishop5150 Silver Supporting Member

He got a great deal! Sold it to him for $900 with the Zen Rigs labeling system, Barefoot Buttons, all my presets and IR’s. That is a bro deal for sure.

SigXer, plexified, yeky83 and 4 others like this.
  5. hippietim

hippietim Silver Supporting Member

Unimportant? Perhaps. I just didn’t want people thinking there’s an actual configurable second tap feature on the FC units. I’m sure it’s possible, it just doesn’t work that way today.

yeky83 and Watt McCo like this.
  6. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

Should have added a :beer. I definitely learned something from the exchange.

7. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

Why does the FM3 have to fit in the FC6 chassis? Seems like they could have just built a slightly bigger case for it. The 3 foot switches is very limiting. I would bet that 90% of the users will be running a 2nd midi pedal of some kind. Would have been much more gig friendly with 5 or 6 foot switches. Why such a big screen on the top? Also the lack of dedicated amp controls seems like another negative. So it has a 4 x 12 grid layout, but cant run two amps? I would prefer an all in one unit... with the AX8, I just connected my guitar and exp pedal and it was ready to go.

Jarick, jm9239 and LordByron like this.
  8. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

Because $999 is a wildly more compelling price point than $1050 or $1025...because humans (myself included) are dumb creatures with overly powerful brains.

9. Musicroom

Musicroom Member

There are and will be speculation in this thread regarding processing power because we don't know a lot at this point- and that is what we do here. Way of life. Don't understand anyone chastising someone for speculating on new gear capability on this forum. With that said, what we have heard is we can't run 2 amp blocks in the new unit. That is decent enough information to speculate the power capability will be somewhat similar to the ax8. And don't forget, we are for the most part guitar players here - not known for our intellect. :)

jm9239 likes this.
  10. bdrepko

bdrepko Supporting Member

No I would not. Why are we arguing semantics?

11. bdrepko

bdrepko Supporting Member

Agreed 100%.

12. Danny W.

Danny W. Member

Toggle is just going back and forth between two states, just like bypass takes you between bypass or not bypass. It's still just one function. A true second press function might allow you to tap it once to toggle scenes, double tap it to change presets, for example.

If you use layout links you can select a preset and go to scenes with a tap. On the new layout the same switch might now select scenes but it's still only got two functions--tap & hold.

Danny W.

yeky83 likes this.
  13. NelsonP

NelsonP Member

This looks brilliant. Sadly I think it will be v. expensive when it finally makes it to this side of the pond :-(

3 buttons. Hmm. What are the chances of history repeating?

[​IMG]

mbenigni, chrisjnyc, handyman and 2 others like this.
  14. vtgearhead

vtgearhead Silver Supporting Member

I have a love/hate relationship with 3M dual-lock. Holds things in place well, but nine times out of ten
    removal attempts cause the backing glue to peel before the lock does.

effulgent and LordByron like this.
  15. shredmiyagi

shredmiyagi Member

Nice.

3 foot switches is good for me. 1 for od, 1 for tap tempo, 1 for a misc effect... control delay-mix with exp1, vol with exp2.

Can add a midi mouse if I need patch scrolling.

Good for travel.

16. Slicklickz

Slicklickz Member

Use a butter knife to separate the 2 sides.

yeky83 likes this.
  17. LordByron

LordByron The Dude abides! Supporting Member

An eastbound man, in a westbound lane (ATL)
    If the FM3 became (or lead to, more accurately) the FM6, with this kind of layout (which, BTW, I think is absolutely PERFECT for a compact unit), I would not be able to get my wallet out fast enough.

Jarick, randall d and skinvoyager like this.
  18. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

I dont think the price tag is going to scare off any customers... Look at the price of the Axe III and the FC12

19. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

Meh, I can honestly say seeing a 3-digit price tag was why I immediately signed up for the wait list and probably would have hemmed and hawed a little at a four digit price tag.

mbenigni and sixesandsevens like this.
  20. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

Think I'll wait a few months for the FM12

The FM3 sales will raise capitol to fund its development

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    El Mariachi, Leonc, jm9239 and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.