Fractal Audio's New FM3

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by LqdSndDist, Apr 23, 2019.

1. SloeGin

SloeGin Member

When will more info of the FM3 be available on the fractal product webpage?

DV52 likes this.
  2. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Member

doubt there will be anymore until it's release.

mikah912 likes this.
  3. fretworn

fretworn Member

Often rough shipping dates may appear, as well as the FM3 manual.

There is already a dedicated section on the Fractal forum for the FM3 with a lot of interesting threads re: features, value, options, etc.

Check it out for yourself vs asking folks here. Far more effective.

4. Yek

Yek Member

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  5. veritechc

veritechc Member

6. Yek

Yek Member

Thanks man, appreciated.
    I want to stop but I can’t .... :)

MIJLOVER, tvegas99, veritechc and 2 others like this.
  7. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

Do you just do that out of the kindness of your heart? If so, that is pretty awesome of you.

SigXer, yeky83 and Blackmoreguitar like this.
  8. gtr37

gtr37 Member

I cant figure out how to post image lol but Greg showed a sample signal chain on the FM3 thread

They fit 16 blocks before getting close to cpu limit it was

Vol wah comp chorus flanger
    Phaser amp cab graphicEQ
    PEQ delay enhancer filter
    Reverb chorus2

9. gluve95

gluve95 Member

That an impressive amount . I don't use a lot of effects. But I do like high quality reverbs and delays. I wish they would keep the high quality reverbs. And let us decide where we want to cut back to stay within limits.

Lution likes this.
  10. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

I wouldn't worry about the reverb. There's III owners saying they can't hear a difference between the modes.

11. gtr37

gtr37 Member

I own the 3 you
    Wont really hear a difference unless you have a great ear on high quality studio monitors even then , it would be not something that would bother most

Trust me when you play with cloud verbs you will be smiling

Blix and gluve95 like this.
  12. yeky83

yeky83 Member

You're the guy who liked HX Effects' reverbs, right? The Fractal reverbs sound quite better to me even at normal quality compared to the HX stuff, you have very little to worry about IMHO.

Guitardave likes this.
  13. gluve95

gluve95 Member

Thanks for the reply. Exactly what I needed to hear. Will be patiently waiting for my Email invite.

14. Vildhjarta8

Vildhjarta8 Member

Well, the FM3 seems to have done it's job on me. I caved and bought an Axe Fx III yesterday (that I don't really need), after reading through all the things that the FM3 can and can't do as compared with the III.

Having spent a decent amount of time with a friend's II Mk2+ I don't think it'll sway me from being a dedicated Helixtician, but at least I can have one to take to shows and one to stay firmly in my rack. And if it seems too much power for my use cases, I can always on-sell the III and trade down to the FM3.

stratzrus, MIJLOVER, Mark Al and 5 others like this.
  15. gluve95

gluve95 Member

G
    Good to hear. Haven't used the HX effects myself yet.Opion was based on some Worship Tutorials YouTube videos. I was about to order one to use with my Atomic Amplifire. Then the FM3 announcement came out. Think I'm holding out for the FM3.

16. timowens316

timowens316 Member

I'm just curious if a 50 something year old can read the main display and the mini LCD displays over the switches while standing up. I've watched a few of the videos and in each one it seems like the display is in edit mode which I'm pretty sure most people can't read while standing up, has anyone seen any videos or photos of the display in performance mode, preferably from 5-6 feet away? When I first got the AX8 there was no way that I could read the display while standing up (and my eyes aren't that bad), then they added a big display option which helped but it is kind of quirky.

17. wcfields

wcfields Member

Would be nice if the scribble strips were a bit bigger...

18. Elric

Elric Member

Understand the sentiment but if it makes you feel any better: the 'low quality' reverbs on the Fractal devices are very 'high quality' reverbs.

ejecta and Watt McCo like this.
  19. bigfoamfinger

bigfoamfinger Supporting Member

This is a great point and will be a huge factor for me, especially when changing scenes. I'm 6'5 and also the singer, so I need to be able to see the changes, and quick. It seems like the indicator above the footswitch is very small.

It would be great if there was some kind of confirmation that appeared on the main screen when you activate the footswitches in any way

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  20. iaresee

iaresee Supporting Member

For those worried about the Normal mode reverb on the FM3, here's a clip for you:

Two reverb blocks, each panned hard left or right, with identical settings save for the mode. One block is Normal, one is High. The reverb type is Cumulonimbus. This was recorded with an Axe-Fx III.

Do your thing, TGP...

Edit: Getting ahead of the TGP golden ear set. Here's the 16-bit, 48 kHz source file that was uploaded to SoundCloud: http://bit.ly/2IXo71h

Last edited: May 3, 2019