Fractal AX8 Discussion Thread

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
It would be great to have a lot of ongoing discussion about the AX8 in one spot as opposed to all over the place, or nowhere at all.

I think there's a decent number of us now who own or have used the AX8 as well as people who are interested and have questions about it. I'd like this to be a place where we can share tips and tricks, talk about the models, show off your rigs, share any news like firmware updates, and other positive things without badmouthing other people and products.

To start off, let's have a roll call of AX8 owners! Come in and say hello!

ejecta

Silver Supporting Member
Not sure why people are posting links to other places. Seems to me it's clear the OP want's a thread here.

Anyway.... yep I own an AX8.

RLD

Silver Supporting Member
No need to re-invent the wheel since everything he's looking for is already up and running, but feel free!

Last edited:

scook

Silver Supporting Member
WINNER!!!

Congrats, you are now the designated HeadRush protagonist. Now go put those others to shame ;)
Oh gosh, that was meant to be satirical commentary on the state of TGP. I probably won't even buy one!

On topic: here :wave and love my AX8

tjontheroad

Just Wanna Be Misunderstood
Oh gosh, that was meant to be satirical commentary on the state of TGP. I probably won't even buy one!

On topic: here :wave and love my AX8
I know. J/K

Neither will I buy one. I'm very impressed with the latest firmware updates. FAS is focusing on tone.

jazzgtrl4

Silver Supporting Member
I'm in. Lovin' it

very cool, i have an Ax8 on the way, my second one, first one i sold like a fool. lol. already have an Axe II..anyway how do yo u like those Barefoot buttons?, I assume you play without shoes on or is it just nice to use even with shoes? thanks, nice board

tjontheroad

Just Wanna Be Misunderstood
very cool, i have an Ax8 on the way, my second one, first one i sold like a fool. lol. already have an Axe II..anyway how do yo u like those Barefoot buttons?, I assume you play without shoes on or is it just nice to use even with shoes? thanks, nice board
Barefoot buttons are very cool and useful even with my shoes on (I prefer Chuck Taylors). They make it easy to see and hit. The taller "Tall Boys" (silver one on the DigiTech Drop) help getting to the back of my board.

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
Great to see some participants!

I decided to start actually making some clips, so here goes.

I was listening to Soundgarden today and really like the video Michael Nelson (Big Hairy Guitars) did to demo the Dirty Shirley. I spent about 20 minutes trying to learn the main riffs to "Limo Wreck" and while I didn't quite get the same present tone of the video, I think it's in the ballpark. Sorry for the sloppy playing and slightly out of tune notes...never played this song or used this tuning, which takes the low strings all the way down to C and G.

My version, using my LTD EC-1000 with Tonerider AC4 bridge:

Reference video with the real amp (1:45):

Listening back at the same volume, I kept trying to get my tone more and more present as it felt too smooth, now it's a little too bright!

Droptopandy

Silver Supporting Member
AX8 owner here. I always wanted a Fractal in a floor unit and finally got it. But I still have my Mesa Mark IV and Mesa 4x12 and I use the AX8 in 4CM setup. The AX8 did replace my entire pedalboard. Tube Screamers, Phase 90, Wah, analog and digital delays, all sold. I feel the AX8 does a great job at everything. And it doesn't hurt that I can play it through my PC monitors late at night and it sounds damm close to my big Mesa Mark IV rig. Actually, if I mic up my Mark IV and compare it to what the AX8 can do I bet it's extremely close.

Trending Topics