Fractal AX8

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by ethomas1013, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

And when Fractal posted pictures of the subassemblies from the USA for the AFXII there was still a whole slew of this same sort of scattered speculation that everything was still made in China somehow. Even when it wasn't. The facts don't matter much to some.

Like everything they make I would assume it is sourced with quality in mind with parts from China, the USA and other countries and assembled, burned in and shipped from Fractal in the USA. So though I am extremely aware this is a speculation thread and the norm is to say anything to get a rise, I would hope you at least get the actual facts before you just cast out stuff like "I would rather suggest he wont reveal much because what he might have to say is not what he wants you to hear." But, as is self-evident, you did not. That's uncalled for and unsubstantiated when he's already posted it will be made in the USA. Stuff like that serves and informs the truth in no way.

2. dlc86

dlc86 Member

Question for Cliff: will it have a headphone out? Thanks

3. RackFiz

RackFiz Member

Oh?

Really?

For the owner of the company to say: "...made in the USA..." is a huge deal.

It's important to me, it's important to you, and it's obviously important to a great many others.

But why can't we be allowed to challenge that statement?

This is business, it's no different than Ford Motor Company, or Chevron, or McDonalds. Just a much smaller franchise.

If the truth is as I suspect that nearly everything inside Fractal gear is made outside of the United States (as is the case with nearly 90% of all consumer electronics) and simply "assembled" in the United States, then this is important information. If it goes beyond that and assembly of mainboards take place in other lands, only to plugged together in the United States, then that is even more important.

AND, most important of all, if everything inside Fractal gear is made inside the United States then that information takes the cake as some of the biggest news ever presented on this forum.

Which is why I ask, because it's important from a consumers perspective.

Let's not let our personal opinions of products influence our desire for full disclosure. A forum to inform is a shared desire.

4. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

I don't know where the Fractal gear is made, but do work for a company that makes similar complexity products and all are made in the US. Just because you have a company that makes such products does not mean you need to own a manufacturing division to make them. A popular model is to have sales and R+D on staff, and then hire an outside firm to build your products (which is what we do). There are a number of businesses in the US that can take your design, build and test it, ship direct to customers, and do a spectacularly good job at it. All of the design and assembly can be done at a competitive cost in the US.

If the quantity of product being built is not too high, these manufacturing firms can do everything with US labor and sources except the raw components. Our manufacturing partner stuffs all our PCA's here in the Southeast with machinery on their floor. All of the enclosure parts are made within 50 miles of the partner.

My impression of the price point and quantity of products Fractal makes (just a guess, no hard numbers) would suggest that Fractal would be perfect for this manufacturing model. All these are guesses though.

As far as all the individual components (resistors, ICs, etc) coming from the US, that is mostly impossible. IME the majority of individual components simply are not made in the US any more.

5. JPenn

JPenn Member

i work for a place that's similar. we have an electronics dept, metal shop with paint line, transformer section....we could be building more than just the products we build, but i don't know if it would be worth it to take on something in the mi industry. i told my boss (also a gtar player) "hey, if nothing else, we could at least take a trip to namm and write it off!!!" :D

6. cliffc8488

cliffc8488 Member

Our current production model is to source the chassis from China. The PCAs are made in USA and final assembly and QC are done in USA. The MFC-101 is fully made in China. The EV-1s are fully made in China except for the pots which are made in USA as nothing in China or Japan met our lifespan requirement (1 million rotations minimum).

7. Strat O Matic

Strat O Matic Member

I for one don't care where the product is made as long as it has high quality control standards and is reliable. I'd be happy to get a better price on the AX8 and it be made in China.

8. majick59

majick59 Member

I don't think I've ever seen this much transparency with a company. Thanks for the info you've provided.

I think we're all really excited to see the AX8!

9. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

As far as quality goes, where a product is assembled should not matter as the company selling the product must take all responsibility for that quality. It has to do with the design and testing procedures and ensuring the processes are in place for the product to be high quality.

IME many of the products built in low labor cost countries that have reputations for poor quality are the fault of the design/test group in the parent company. For example, many recent Marshall amps made in India and China have poor quality reputations, and that is generally blamed on India and China, when in fact the amps were poorly designed with substandard materials and poor testing. This design failure was most likely due to cost cutting in the design stage with Marshall UK. The build quality of the amps in question was actually quite good, but the design was poor.

Many folks do not make this distinction. Apple products are made/assembled in China, and their quality is excellent.

10. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Thanks for the clarification Cliff. No question in my mind that in this instance "Made in the USA" means Made in the USA.

11. RackFiz

RackFiz Member

Cliff, can not thank you enough for the clarification! I've had several pieces of Fractal gear in my studio and none of them have ever said Made in USA on them, so I assumed it was some thing along these lines. Legally I understand there are complications to how products are marked.

I also don't worry about the quality of your gear as it has always been top notch, but the marketing implications are important.

I appreciate a company with such transparency and desire to satisfy their customers. While it means nothing in the scheme of things, you personally have my complete respect.

12. AZG

AZG Member

It's nice to know where FA things are made. I for one am happy to pay more for a USA, Canada, Europe, Japan, Australia, etc. made products solely because workers in China and some other places are poorly paid, extremely overworked, live and work in poor conditions, and are struggling to survive a life only a few steps up from slavery. If they were paid and treated more reasonably and able to live better lives I would be more supportive, but then Chinese made items would cost a lot more.

13. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

To paraphrase you, "Really."

Your passive-aggro stuff just got handed back to you cold; you could have and should have just asked it without the implication that Cliff was going to duck the question because -in your own (paraphrased) words- he 'had something to hide'.

Evidently... not. :nono

If you just ask without the implication that they'd duck the question or were hiding something, I'd agree with you and have never taken issue with your question. :wave

14. BillyL

BillyL Member

Question for Axe users: I use a Pod HD 500. Many of my patches go from a cleaner rhythm setting to a dirtier lead setting with the foot controller (I'm also a singer so I can't be always looking down at my buttons). On the Pod, I do this often by having two parallel paths before hitting the same amp. One path has a dist type pedal on it and the other is clean. Of course I also change many of the amp settings and fx settings with the pedal.

It was stated that this new Axe unit won't do dual amps. That's ok as long as it has dual paths leading to the single amp, or if fx like a dist pedal can go into bypass with a foot controller (as you know, simply dialing a tube screamer to 0 still colors the sound.)

Based on your understanding of the architecture, do you think it likely either of these options would be available on this new floor unit?

BTW, if you have never set up your patches this way, I highly recommend it. It allows instant no-look switching from rhythm to lead sounds while playing as well as nice in-between volumes and tones.

15. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Gold Supporting Member

Most of the time i do that with my volume pot, my main guitar is a LP so i can set the neck PU very clean and change to the bridge to full gain.

The Ax8 is not an AXE FX II unit, it will have the amps and the new G3 technology, but we still dont know if it will do dual paths, at this point, maybe.

the expression could be set to blend two scenes, one with a clan setting and the other with what everr OD sound, it will basicaly be doing the same thing you like on the pod.

16. Zacflame

Zacflame Member

Just out of curiosity, how is this test performed, by machine or do you just tell your employees, hey dude I need at least 10,000 rotations by lunch?

17. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

What makes you say this? :huh The AxeFx doesn't let you blend between scenes with an expression pedal.

18. mattball826

mattball826 Member

they changed the guidelines on that years ago. usually if parts were made non domestic origin you would label the product "assembled in usa"

now i think it's pct of components and that mfg process that determines the valid use of "made in usa"

fas meets those requirements. some parts they have to source overseas as would any other vendor similar.

19. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Gold Supporting Member

I thought it did, my mistake then!... i do not own a footswitcher or expresion pedal for the axe fx.

BUt could be a great thing if this blend scene could be done then.

20. aculturemind

aculturemind Member

Yes, Cliff is being quite forthright about things.

For ****'s sake, I can't wait till everything is 'grown'.

Awesome. Glad you got something out of it.

Yeah, that was good.