Fractal Axe-Fx III Mark II

timbuck2

I would say thats exactly what it was or Cliff had the chance to buy a better display for a couple of bucks more , I don't think this was a new processor a couple of nice to have things while changing parts
things will always improve in tech-i think its great cliff did this-its like tesla improving cars daily: you can put a deposit on a build of a tesla and a week later a new change happens and you may not have it but its the format of the car: not like other auto makers that do yearly model updates.

Tybalt

I was actually hoping that the refresh of the Axe III was going to decrease it's size to the 2U format of the previous versions.
I just think 3Us is too much.

Elric

Supporting Member
First 2,048 factory cabs to pick from....

Now this!

:drown
The “Orange” emulation on the logo better truly match the tone of the orange Tolex on my cab, or I will be super p*ssed. Glad I did not go with snakeskin, would have to wait for texture mapping on the logo (axe 4).

Elric

Supporting Member
I was actually hoping that the refresh of the Axe III was going to decrease it's size to the 2U format of the previous versions.
I just think 3Us is too much.
Not likely to happen in the Rack format Axe, IMHO. People complain about the UI day in and out already and the size of the screen plays a huge role in what you can/can’t implement on device. Lot of folks would probably Really would like a unit with an iPad size screen, in this day and age.

Jerrod

Silver Supporting Member
Over the years there have been quite a few guys who were pissed that they had just bought a unit and 3 weeks later a new one comes out. Again, its the chance you have to be willing to take because its not like you can just upgrade your existing unit. I would love to see a future proof unit but even if it was possible upgrades aren't really where the money is at.
Yeah, it's pretty crazy that Fractal just keeps upgrading the hardware every few years.

hippietim

Silver Supporting Member
Over the years there have been quite a few guys who were pissed that they had just bought a unit and 3 weeks later a new one comes out. Again, its the chance you have to be willing to take because its not like you can just upgrade your existing unit. I would love to see a future proof unit but even if it was possible upgrades aren't really where the money is at.
Everything from vacuum cleaners to overdrive pedals suffers from the problem that at some point a new version will come out. I don't understand why anyone gets bent out of shape over this that is over the age 10. No matter when the product is announced and released, there will be some number of people that just bought the old version.

Things that are upgradeable tend to be support nightmares.

Elric

Supporting Member
Yeah, it's pretty crazy that Fractal just keeps upgrading the hardware every few years.
FWIW, Fractal has been really good about supporting FW upgrades within a generation of units. So, I think given how amazingly capable most of their units are, access to updates is the big thing people want for a while after getting a new unit because they are a key value added for Fractal and a major selling point. It is pretty addictive to get new features. models, etc, on the regular. Sort of keeps the GAS at bay. So, really I would mostly "worry" when pulling the trigger on a FAS device if a new generation seemed imminent. Stakes are MUCH higher with a new generation in general.

With the FM3 and a new MkII of the III rack unit, it feels like this generation of FAS products is really just hitting stride right now, TBH... As a buyer, I wouldn't feel like I was risking getting leap frogged by a new unit if picking up a III series device of any stripe right now.

I know a lot of people will swear up and down that the III "slays" the II or the Helix or whatever, but I think digital devices have crossed the threshold of diminishing returns for many on the amp modeling. I could see a cab system or something (like the power cab concept) being the next frontier but really, for direct tones things are so ridiculous right now that my current generation devices and plugins just do not feel very long in the tooth. It feels like plataeuing technology to me.

It is not a huge struggle to get massive toanz from digital stuff anymore once you find your preferred brand/workflow/etc. New units can combine capabilities, improve interfaces, provide more I/O, features, but 'real' sounding amp models is 'real' sounding amp models (this includes the feels). Now about that amp in the room...

Jerrod

Silver Supporting Member
FWIW, Fractal has been really good about supporting FW upgrades within a generation of units. So, I think given how amazingly capable most of their units are, access to updates is the big thing people want for a while after getting a new unit because they are a key value added for Fractal and a major selling point. It is pretty addictive to get new features. models, etc, on the regular. Sort of keeps the GAS at bay. So, really I would mostly "worry" when pulling the trigger on a FAS device if a new generation seemed imminent. Stakes are MUCH higher with a new generation in general.

With the FM3 and a new MkII of the III rack unit, it feels like this generation of FAS products is really just hitting stride right now, TBH... As a buyer, I wouldn't feel like I was risking getting leap frogged by a new unit if picking up a III series device of any stripe right now.

I know a lot of people will swear up and down that the III "slays" the II or the Helix or whatever, but I think digital devices have crossed the threshold of diminishing returns for many on the amp modeling. I could see a cab system or something (like the power cab concept) being the next frontier but really, for direct tones things are so ridiculous right now that my current generation devices and plugins just do not feel very long in the tooth. It feels like plataeuing technology to me.

It is not a huge struggle to get massive toanz from digital stuff anymore once you find your preferred brand/workflow/etc. New units can combine capabilities, improve interfaces, provide more I/O, features, but 'real' sounding amp models is 'real' sounding amp models (this includes the feels). Now about that amp in the room...
I probably should have added an emoji or something. I've owned an Axe Fx since the Ultra days and have a II Mk 1. The silly bitching about their upgrades is well over a decade old. Fractal isn't always exactly in the front of the pack with some niceties (displays, scribble strips, UI, etc) but they make high quality stuff that holds its value. Nobody is getting screwed by buying a Fractal unit and then selling it a couple generations later to upgrade.

texhex

Supporting Member
I played so much DOOM that I actually had the vertical roller in my ball mouse taped off so it would only work horizontal for turning left and right. Remember boys and girls, those used to be Serial RS232 connectors, no PS/2 or USB to be seen nor heard of.

I don't miss those old computers one bit (maybe my VIC20), but DOOM in the basement for hours and then turning off the computer before remembering to turn on the lights and then fumbling around in pure fear searching for the pull string to turn on the light bulb, yeah those were good times. :Devil

ColdFrixion

I played so much DOOM that I actually had the vertical roller in my ball mouse taped off so it would only work horizontal for turning left and right. Remember boys and girls, those used to be Serial RS232 connectors, no PS/2 or USB to be seen nor heard of.

I don't miss those old computers one bit (maybe my VIC20), but DOOM in the basement for hours and then turning off the computer before remembering to turn on the lights and then fumbling around in pure fear searching for the pull string to turn on the light bulb, yeah those were good times. :Devil
How would you feel about a version of DOOM you control with your guitar?

Last edited:

Elric

Supporting Member
I probably should have added an emoji or something. I've owned an Axe Fx since the Ultra days and have a II Mk 1. The silly bitching about their upgrades is well over a decade old. Fractal isn't always exactly in the front of the pack with some niceties (displays, scribble strips, UI, etc) but they make high quality stuff that holds its value. Nobody is getting screwed by buying a Fractal unit and then selling it a couple generations later to upgrade.
You were quoted but the intent of the response was general, FWIW. A lot of folks have speculated about the meaning of a new Axe III model and the mysterious reference to extra memory. So the comments about Fractal's handling of product generations and the general state of amp modeling was meant to be an addition to the thread not necessarily directed at you specifically even though you were quoted. That was just the prompt for the response. It's cool that you "get" it, though. :D

phil b

Everything from vacuum cleaners to overdrive pedals suffers from the problem that at some point a new version will come out. I don't understand why anyone gets bent out of shape over this that is over the age 10. No matter when the product is announced and released, there will be some number of people that just bought the old version.

Things that are upgradeable tend to be support nightmares.
Well eproms and chips have been pretty successful as an upgrade for a lot of audio companies. Most end users can change those fairly easily (depending on its location of course). I can somewhat understand why guys would get pissed that they just spent a ton of cash and a week later a 2.0 model comes out without them having the ability to upgrade their existing unit. For me personally if it was only a few hundred dollar hit a week after I bought it, I could live with that a little easier than taking a hit on something around the 2k range.. no matter what that is.

This is only my preference and we all know that one guy who has to have the latest and greatest and cost is no object! Nobody should dictate to anyone how to spend their hard earned cash. I am just cynical having worked in an industry that their entire survival was based on new models. Creative marketing guys and new packaging for essentially what was sometimes actually inferior to the item it was replacing. For a business man this is a great model, but for an end user its an annoyance at best.
This isnt a dig on Fractal in any way. Its business, At least its music gear.... Now I have to go put my deposit down on the new Iphone 40.!! LOL

Trending Topics