Fractal Axe-Fx - Paradigm shift?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MinuteMan, Feb 15, 2008.

1. MinuteMan

MinuteMan Member

I have read all of the threads including the 'war and peace' thread started by Scott, listened to many of the clips, checked out the forum over at Fractal, etc., and I am very intrigued. So I put myself on the wait list --"2 to 3 months" I was informed....OK, I am patient.

In the meantime, for those of you who either have it or had it and sold/traded it, what is your take? For example:

A. The AXE-FX represents a true paradigm shift, i.e., sold/traded all of your conventional amps/cabs/effects and this is it

B. The AXE-FX supplements your current amp/cab arsenal. If so, I would be curious to understand what role it plays relative to your conventional gear

C. The AXE-FX is missing something relative to conventional amps/cabs and therefore sold/traded it. If so, what was it, too complicated, not there in terms of modelling, etc.?

D. Something else

2. uni_dan

uni_dan Member

I guess I would have to say option (D) for me.

I have sold off most of my other gear except for my THD Univalve, THD 2x12 cabinet, loaded pedalboard, and a couple of other speaker cabinets.

The dust has been gathering on them though because the Univalve, cab and pedalboard are all still in their respective cases from the last gig they were used on which was over three months ago.

Cheers,
    Dan

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I started with B); and ended up with A).

It's utterly changed the way I approach gear, think about gear and expect from my gear. It's turned a delightful passionate, yet consistently frustrating lifelong quest for 'tone' into a deeply satisfying, portable and delightful 'results' minded solution.

I've never had a piece of gear that so shook up everything I believed, delivered on everything I ever dreamed of being able to do and has been so trouble free doing it.

I am running 100% Axe-FX at this point and missing/wanting/needed nothing more. That's 7 months running, dozens and dozens of gigs, hundreds of rehearsals, woodshedding hours and jams without a hitch. No one that's critically listened to my tone has been anything but mouth on floor.

Sound guys are digging this - last week at a gig there were 36 inputs on the board. I was running direct to FOH, with in-ears only. My channel strip was the ONLY one that was EQ'd all at noon. And he told me that 'whatever you are using is good. Really good. I didn't have to do anything to your tone at all."

I've done acoustic, funk, country, classic rock, modern rock and pop/R&B stuff with one rig.

This is far more than a paradigm shift. It's reality rebooted. Version 2.0. The future is here. :D

IMHO, YMMV.

4. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Hmmmmm...."paradigm shift" Sounds somehow familiar. :D

5. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

6. Flux

Flux Member

D. Something else. I dig building and tweaking tube amps waay too much to even imagine a dial-a-sound device would be my only "amp". I'm sure they're a fine product and the clips I've heard are good, too, but the end of the day I'd rather spend the $1500 on one (or more) of the many stupendous kits available. Besides I'm sure the Behringer version is not far off....:Devil:p

7. solo-act

solo-act Member

A -- But I didn't sell my amps. I'll keep one amp and probably sell the other. Kept some pedals too, but only the axe-fx goes to gigs. There isn't a better product for my needs than the axe-fx, and it pays all my bills.

For people that want a single amp platform at the gig, just a couple tones, a couple pedals and that organic push of that cab behind 'em moving air , its really strange to think about the axe-fx. Its geeks out some of those guys. But some axe-fx users that still want that have actually duplicated the experience with their axe-fx which, when you think about it, is kinda brain boggling.

Once you get over the fact that its a digital black box, and get it running into a speaker rig you like a lot, eventually, you just get addicted to it because of what it feels like to play it, and because you get to play with SO MANY fantastic rigs, effects, routings. It's just a massive playground of tonal fun.

8. mude

mude Supporting Member

Are you able to use the Axe-Fx for acoustic as well? By that I mean, plug in acoustic to it and then go direct to the board (PA) with the same unit (with different settings) as for electric? Thanks.

Evan.

9. Scott Peterson

Yes. That's one of the points I made.

10. Ken

Ken Member

War and Peace Thread? I can't find it when I do a search

11. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

"War and Peace" is a pun. Just search "Fractal Audio Axe-fx this thing is a monster" It is such a mega thread, that is why the pun

12. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

Scott
    So, where are you playing in our fair state? I'd like to hear the Axe-Fx live in a band setting.

13. Scott Peterson

Check the MySpace link. Regular Church gig; on-call for other stuff but that's mostly for fill-ins. I update that page with gigs when I get them.

14. Flux

Flux Member

Just thought I'd add that FWIW, I really do believe that one day we'll all be plugging our instruments into a computer of some sort, because ultimately there'll be no good reason not too. Personally I intend to resist that trend as long as possible, though I completely understand the attraction. Despite my love of quirky old tube amps, I'm one of the members who was really hoping that the Mackie Hotwire turned out to be a winner. Hmm, it occurs to me that an AxeFx in a combo form would definitely get my attention.

15. gearitis

gearitis Gold Supporting Member

BTW-Does anyone know where Fractal is as far as delivery times? I just checked an email from them and in 11 days I will have been on the wait list for 6 months.

I'm definitely going to give the Axe-Fx an honest shot at dethroning my tube amps when/if I get one. However, even if the Axe-Fx blows me away, I anticipate keeping something like my Carr Rambler as a grab and go amp.

16. mude

mude Supporting Member

Thanks.

Evan.

17. solo-act

solo-act Member

I switch between the two quite a bit in a typical gig. Electric in front input, acoustic in the back. Its easy to set it up so when you're playing one, the other other isn't being "listened" to. No a/b switches, no extra cables, one volume pedal. Simple setup.

18. Scott Peterson

I'll drop one more comment I have posted before. Buying an Axe-FX isn't joining a cult. It's just another tool, albeit one that is extremely powerful and damn good at what it does. It does not mean you have to sell or not use your tube amps. In fact, if I had the money, I'd have a lot of the amps I used to own. It's not an "all Axe-FX, all the time... or else!" sort of thing. Honest!