• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Fractal Delays

fretworn

It was a complaint by a bunch of FM3 owners on TGP.

Fair enough. Not surprised/makes sense.

I’ve used all kind of delays in my life starting in 1984 w a Boss dd pedal. Even had some ****** Alesis Quadra verbs at some point. In the studio we had lexicons,TCE, eventides, etc.

Never had a problem with getting fantastic delays out of the AxeFX series. But thankfully Cliff never gives up.

gtr37

Well that’s very cool. I’ll these see if adding this will make it closer to what I’m looking for. Still I repeat.. adding deep parameters is fine but there are players that don’t want to delve too deep into those types of things too roll their own. Maybe until that changes people will be attracted to more “simplified” models that actually do what’s unique in those effects and are offered on other platforms and or the real thing.

well they have the authentic amp modelling controls maybe the delays etc need an authentic mode ?

gtr37

The secret I found and the thing I really like about fractal is that they have ducking for a lot of their effects,. I generally set the ducking so there is very little delay until you stop playing.

Yes, I figure its got to be a few things . there have been a few delays I have liked for example there was one preset the Jonny Lee ( I think) had for Helix its used
2 separate delay times and when he first showed he even said you would think the delay wash would be way overpowering but by the end and the way it mixed in it kind of hid how much delay was there , I don't remember all the setting it was like a 10 min video but the end result was cool , it may have well been ducking
The neural for the short time I had it the the ping pong simple delay once you tweaked the mix was pretty good and seemed less obtrusive.
I think with Fractal there are just so many pages , I would almost love an Authentic mode , like here is 8 knobs , do what you will

I am pretty sure the main tricks to get the delay to sound uncluttered is as you said
Ducking , setting up in parrallel (so dry signal is coming through) low cutting the highs down to 5000, I think Fractal said the Eventide stuff is as low as 2000
maybe these will help , now that we have a bunch of new factory presets , I can go through and maybe grab a block or 2 for the library

Fractal Audio

IIRC on the early Axe-Fx models the delay time would change pitch when changing the time and people complained about it, so it was rewritten to avoid that. I use tap tempo delays a lot live so I really appreciate that the delays don't have pitch artifacts.

Motor speed in the tape delay types does let you change the pitch though. Seriously fun attaching a square wave or random LFO to it for glitchy stuff.
Correct. The original algorithm simply slid to the new time which would cause pitch shift. People complained vociferously since tapping in a new tempo would cause a pitch glitch. The new algorithm does not do this. It treats time/tempo changes as "requests" and cross-fades between two delays running simultaneously.

If you want pitch shift the use the Mono Tape type. There are other ways as well but I'm not at my desk now so I forget the details. I believe if you attach a modifier to the Time parameter in the other types it will pitch shift when you change the time. I seem to remember I made it so you could do the pitch shift thing with a modifier but not when tapping in a tempo or setting the time by hand. I.e., you can do the Eruption dive-bomb by attaching an expression pedal to the Time parameter.

ejecta

Silver Supporting Member
Fair enough. Not surprised/makes sense.

I’ve used all kind of delays in my life starting in 1984 w a Boss dd pedal. Even had some ****** Alesis Quadra verbs at some point. In the studio we had lexicons,TCE, eventides, etc.

Never had a problem with getting fantastic delays out of the AxeFX series. But thankfully Cliff never gives up.
All the delays you mention minus the Boss are studio rack gear. No one has said the Fractal software couldn’t do those well. I think sometimes a lot of Fractal users don’t think there are other guitar players out there who like more unique pedals and not just Eventide/Lexicon-ish style effects.

fretworn

All the delays you mention minus the Boss are studio rack gear. No one has said the Fractal software couldn’t do those well. I think sometimes a lot of Fractal users don’t think there are other guitar players out there who like more unique pedals and not just Eventide/Lexicon-ish style effects.

Ok; cool. Wish granted.

Brandon7s

I see stuff like this and realize "yeah, I really should snag a III"

At this point, I'm seriously contemplating selling my FM3, my SA Ventris, and my UAFX Golden Reverberator and buying an Axe-FX III. I'd practically get back all of the cost with those alone. I keep trying to think of why I shouldn't go that route and the main answer I have for myself is that I like having foot switches. I could easily get a cheap midi pedal though if I didn't want to go the route of the FC6 or FC12.

LaXu

At this point, I'm seriously contemplating selling my FM3, my SA Ventris, and my UAFX Golden Reverberator and buying an Axe-FX III. I'd practically get back all of the cost with those alone. I keep trying to think of why I shouldn't go that route and the main answer I have for myself is that I like having foot switches. I could easily get a cheap midi pedal though if I didn't want to go the route of the FC6 or FC12.

Some used Axe-Fx 3 units have recently popped up locally and I'm tempted even though I never really liked the rack format and found the Axe-Fx 3 to be kinda overkill for my uses. The FM3 to me is a better compromise for cost.

ejecta

Silver Supporting Member
Some used Axe-Fx 3 units have recently popped up locally and I'm tempted even though I never really liked the rack format and found the Axe-Fx 3 to be kinda overkill for my uses. The FM3 to me is a better compromise for cost.
Plus for me I don’t like locking myself into one platform by having to sell most if not all of my gear to fund it.

Last edited:

shanesiegle

Silver Supporting Member

The Fm3 does all I want minus a good pitch shift. I just got an HX stomp for that and I have a backup/small unit to take to practice for way less than the three. I got a Morningstar mc8 as well and still under cost.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom