Fractal FX-8 vid. Anyone seen this? Sounds great!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JerEvil, Feb 9, 2015.

1. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

Saw this on another forum. Sounds killer. Not that I thought it wouldn't. Makes me think it may be time to start trying to move some stuff.

2. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

That's pretty cool - sounds great. I want to see how easy it it to program - assuming it is relatively easy to program and has good starting points for the effects (I know you can go really deep with the Axe stuff, but I would want to be able to dial something in quickly without having to go really deep.

3. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Looking forward to the FX8...it's a foregone conclusion that the verbs, delays, pitch, mod, EQ, etc will be great. My big areas of uncertainty are 1. how does it FEEL (sorry Bob Dylan) and 2. how do the drives sound. My Axe-FX Ultra drive blocks straight into a tube amp sound and feel all wrong. Hoping for the FX8 to be a big improvement in that regard.

I have some good drive pedals - Wampler, Xotic, Timmy, Emma, etc. Planning to run them in loops in my RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, which the FX8 will control. But it would be REALLY cool if the FX8's drives are usable.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  4. ajfrye

ajfrye Member

Please don't show me this

5. niassist

niassist Garage Rock Star Supporting Member

I'm not really sold on demos when I can hear the strings of an electric guitar from an acoustic standpoint. There's just not enough volume to really hear what the "demo product" is going to sound like in a live situation. I've played many pedals and amps that sound pretty damn good at low levels, but once you turn them up to a real playing level they sound like garbage. Not saying the Fractal will sound bad cranked, I'm just saying TURN IT UP so we can hear what this thing has under the hood!!!

6. Matt Jones

Matt Jones Supporting Member

Just curious - is this more for use in front of an amp like the M9 or can it do direct too?

7. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

It's designed for use with an amp. No amp or cab simulations so it's not suited for going direct. The target customers are those who like their amps but want Fractal effects.

8. Matt Jones

Matt Jones Supporting Member

Thanks Pat. I've used an Axe Standard for the last 8 years but getting back into amps lately. The FX-8 looks really cool.

9. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

I'm not too impressed with it to be honest. It's not bad if you need everything in one package but does not compete with multiple high quality pedals.

10. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

For drives, I agree. Not for verbs, delays, and other effects. The Fractal effects are at least as good as anything available from Eventide, Strymon, etc.

11. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

12. Steven

Steven Member

Godness!!! Count me out.

13. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

Have you tried it or just guessing?

14. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

15. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    That is a very impressive sounding unit! However, at that price, I must consider as well, an H9 Max and a second H9, or other effect unit from Strymon as an alternative.

16. celticelk

celticelk Member

17. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

I believe if you have the H9 Max you can share its algorithms with linked core units.

18. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

Agreed.

I could sell my board and buy this and have enough money to buy a solid new guitar. But also, I'm still mildly dubious that I'll get the tones I'm looking for.

If someone bought one I'd love to A/B it against my rig. The simplicity sure is nice - no worrying about patch cable fail, no stress about whether or not that pedal will mount properly.

I'm only surprised they didn't follow suit with the Line 6 and add a sweep pedal for wah/volume/expression.

19. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Member

I'm in the same boat - my 3 Strymon's alone are almost the price of the FX8, and from a cost effectiveness point of view it is a very interesting piece.

That said, with a board if you have one pedal / one cable fail you still have a board - swap out the dodgy pedal / cable and you've still got a usable board.

If something in the FX8 goes south, then I'd imagine it's a matter of shipping the whole thing off for repair and having a completely separate backup board until it's fixed. I've had these kind of issues with multifx before and they make me wary of going back to it.

I must say, it's not the best quality video, so hard to guage how good it sounds.