Fractal FX8 or BigSky, Mobius and Echolution 2 Deluxe ...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JerEvil, Mar 17, 2015.

1. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

Welcome to my "1st World Problems"!!!

First of all yes, I DID in fact search this forum for FX8 related posts. Didn't find what I was looking for so starting this thread.

My current pedalboard consists of:
    • Hardwire DL8 Delay
    • Hardwire CR7 Chorus
    • TC Arena Reverb
    • VFE Enterprise Phaser
    • EQD The Depths Vibe
    • Dunlop CFH Wah
    • Black Arts Toneworks Coven
    • Maxon OD808X
    • ProCo USA Rat "Big Box" reissue

I have had the TimeLine, Echolution 2 Deluxe and H9 all at one point. I vastly preferred the Echolution 2 Dlx to the TimeLine. I like the H9 but also like that the Mobius will do effects out front and in the loop.

The idea of the Fractal FX8 intrigues me but I am not sold on their drive pedals. I know the effects will probably be stellar. The 3 pedals in question and the FX8 would run about the same price BUT with the FX8 I don't need a separate controller.

Any input on what you would go with and why?

Thanks in advance.

2. tochiro

tochiro Member

From what I heard the FX8 is really good for delay and reverb but for modulation and drive I don't think it's good enough.

3. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

I'd also add that having 3 seperate pedals helps with reliability - plus the resale is great on the Bigsky!

That said, I'd LOVE to try a FX8 for a month to see what I COULD get out of it (also thanks for this thread because before this I didn't know it existed!! (FX8))

4. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

Check the digi forum... plenty of FX8 threads.

Only a handful of people have seen the FX8 in the flesh. 99% of the posts are just speculation... The clips sound pretty good, but who knows how it sounds with your guitar\amp.

The FX8 will give you presets, and a PC\mac editor.

5. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

Yeah I have heard some clips and saw a few vids. It looks promising but I KNOW the Echlution 2 Dlx is great from an owner experience, the BigSky and Mobius seem to always come extremely highly recommended.

Resale, as much as I would like to deny it, is a contributing factor. Fractal's resale seems to be solid as well.

I am usually on there more than anywhere else since getting my Kemper. I figured I'd get lambasted for talking about pedals there! LOL!

The Mac editor is a bonus. Pigtronix has one but the Strymons would be all handled on the pedal itself. To be fair, the Pigtronix was way easy to program.