Fractal FX8 troubleshooting - plugging directly into the board

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by AD, Apr 14, 2016.

1. AD

AD Supporting Member

Last night at rehearsal, we all plugged into rack preamps into the board and listened through headphones while we were playing. My sound was awful. Is there a mode to select on the FX8 when plugging directly "into the board". All the overdrive tones were fizzy and thin and low output. thx.

2. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

Well, the FX8 is an effects-only unit, designed to go in front of amp, in an effect loop, or a combination of those. It has no amp or cab modeling. What kind of "rack preamp" are you talking about, exactly? Do you have actual amp and cab modeling in that unit?

TimeSnow and AD like this.
  3. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I think the mode you want to select is called, "sell the FX8 and buy an AX8" :D
    -
    Austin

MIJLOVER, mixn4him, TimeSnow and 2 others like this.
  4. AD

AD Supporting Member

Here's the response from our singer/producer

I plugged you directly into a SSL Alpha VHD preamp in stereo (set on HiZ for direct input) with distortion off and levels set conservatively.
    The clean signal went direct into digital @96kHz 32bit float via Focusrite RedNet.

If I had my wits about me yesterday, I should have put you through a hardware tube compressor and eq before going into digital.

That would have warmed the sound up significantly. Sorry – I was not thinking.

5. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

That's a very nice preamp, but it's not an amp modeler. You either need to use a real amp in conjunction with the FX8 or some sort of amp modeling solution. Like @atquinn mentioned above, the AX8 is the Fractal product that would be an all-in-one solution for going direct. The FX8 isn't going to work going direct on it's own, and no amount of tube compression is going to make it sound acceptable.

6. manatarms

manatarms Member

That preamp doesn't have any cabinet emulation or cabinet modeling and since the FX8 doesn't either, it'll sound like fuzzy crap. Actually you take any distortion pedal or any preamp direct to the board without cabinet modeling, it'll sound just as bad. You'd need something after the preamp that does the cabinet modeling for you. As was mentioned, the FX8 is for effects only and is made to run into an amp (or 4CM with the effects loop of an amp.)

7. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

Try it again with a Tech 21 pedal... or just cut to the chase and get an AX8

8. BCy2k

BCy2k Member

The FX8 is an awesome unit, but it's not a direct box. Nor is it an amp modeler, or an impulse response loader. So, yeah, I can think of all sorts of reasons why it didn't sound as good as you might have been expecting . . .

If you're using it without a guitar amp, or an amp modeler, even an FX8 can sound crappy.

TimeSnow likes this.
  9. AD

AD Supporting Member

Thx. I also have an AXE FX II which may mean simply getting the floorboard but will try a few plug ins first.

10. AD

AD Supporting Member

Thx again. Running the FX8 through the preamp and a Clean amp plug in (Waves GTR or other) should work? Anything else I should be considering (other than buying an AX8!! :) )