Fractal matching real amps to perfection, Video + free stuff!!!

ejecta

Silver Supporting Member
They sound similar. Not much info on how this was done though.

What's the signal chain look like? Was he listening through a real cab to both the amp and AxeFX? Were both going through the same IR? Was the real amp using mic's and the AxeFX using an IR?

Last edited:

X-Mann

Hey......This is just a very cool/fun video to watch & listen to!

The tube amps & the Fractal amps sound so close that I can't tell the difference or.......I just don't care in the end!

This is a great example of how you can record high gain...or just VERY LOUD amps at whisper quiet volumes & still capture great tube-like tones w/ a modeling device! I do like that the same knob settings apply between the actual amps & the modeled ones.

Larry is just a very cool guy & very talented player in the end here.

Great stuff & thanks for the share!

X

TJontheRoad

Just Wanna Be Misunderstood
Gold Supporting Member
Certainly is proof at least that, when in doubt, dime the amp (or settings) lol

I'll have to try those presets myself. Thanks for posting.

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
Where does modeling go from here? Sounds like Fractal modeling is already identical to tube amps.

I think IRs are still an area for improvement. For whatever reason, I get much more realistic tones out of my Kemper (no distinct IRs) than I can out of my Amplifire (which uses IRs). And while Direct Kemper profiles also sound better than Amplifire patches without IRs through a power amp and guitar cab, the difference is more pronounced once I use IRs on the AF and go through an FRFR, so I blame the IRs.

I'm sure there are plenty of people here who will tell me I'm doing it wrong. Happy to take their advice.

mikah912

Silver Supporting Member
Where does modeling go from here? Sounds like Fractal modeling is already identical to tube amps.

Hopefully, beyond.

I like "original" amps from both Cliff and Line 6. I want to see them do more. The time Cliff spends on tracking down the amp, then a schematic, then matching every pot and taper could be better spent creating customs by from the existing components already modeled in the Fractal boxes.

ejecta

Silver Supporting Member
Hopefully, beyond.

I like "original" amps from both Cliff and Line 6. I want to see them do more. The time Cliff spends on tracking down the amp, then a schematic, then matching every pot and taper could be better spent creating customs by from the existing components already modeled in the Fractal boxes.

I agree. I wish a lot of modeling companies would get away from chasing the "It exactly matches brand x amp." marketing. It's allusive and not achievable given every player's playing experience whether it be with tube, solid state, or digital will ever be the same.

mikah912

Silver Supporting Member
I also agree but we're in a tiny minority.

While I know you still (and always will) get plenty of requests from people over at the Fractal forum, The "FAS Amps" brand does a good job of shedding these expectations and freeing you from the strictures of slavish duplication. I'd love to see you do more stuff like the FAS 6160, where you tae a known quantity, put your unique spin on it and really make it shine.

Selfishly, this would allow you to throw an Archon in the box too......

Trending Topics

Top Bottom