Fractal vs. Helix: The comparison series (Made by yours truly!)

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Mitch Baker, Oct 21, 2016.

1. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

I'm not sure there is a best way to do a head to head, but If using the same amp and IR I would think it would come down to how much pre and post EQ is needed to make each player happy.
    That would require each individual to do the test.
    I think Mitch has done as well as anyone could here. I for one appreciate it, and find the videos entertaining.

ak301 and onwingsoflead like this.
  2. Phnurt

Phnurt Silver Supporting Member

I'm thinking no IR's stock cabs only, and no eq beyond what's available on the amp and cab models. You wouldn't be able to do this "live" in one long shot as it could get boring pretty quick but filmed in segments and stitched together for presentation would be interesting.

3. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Gold Supporting Member

Mitch, do a reverb only comparison in another series, that should be ver interesting

4. AtomicBlaze

AtomicBlaze Supporting Member

I really enjoy your videos and guitar playing, but I would much prefer that you dial in the best amps from each unit to your liking for comparison. Start with the Hook model on the Axe-FX II, it is almost universally accepted as a great model among Fractal users and sounds great in almost any configuration.

5. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

Dude you do a great job and this stuff will never be science...it is all just way too subjective. I love your vids, regardless of your personal preference, and I think they are some of the better ones out there in both approach and production value. Keep going man, there is no reason you cant have the following of the big guys.

6. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Are you referring to the Hook model that was just introduced a few days ago? :roll
    -
    Austin

7. ejecta

ejecta Member

Don't sweat it man. Just make the videos and demo the units any way you want. Ignore the **** talkers around these parts... they are more interested in having things their way and in favor what they use. I know your new here but just let me give someone's perspective who's been here awhile... there are agendas that stem from team brand mentality with some around here. It's just best to ignore those people. They're never happy. I say if they have that big a problem with the way demos are done then they should either do videos themselves or quit bitching. Keep up the good work and keep developing that thick skin.

8. AtomicBlaze

I think it has been out a few weeks, but in beta form. It has been incredibly well received.

9. Willowdale

Willowdale Member

With everything at noon it just becomes "which model sounds less bad".

This way at least folks can hear examples of your best efforts & then they can 'possibly' take something away from the experience that's 'perhaps' helpful. I do believe you should use the same IR's or people will just say "If you used the same IR's it would be more fair" lol

AtomicBlaze likes this.
  10. atquinn

Eh. The way these things generally work is that people that love it shout about it and people that don't just stick to one (or several) of the other 300 or so models in the Axe. Either way using a unique amp like that in a comparison test would be a waste of time IMO. Just pick something common like a Plexi or AC30 or twin and dial it in the best you can on each unit. Of course, as has been pointed out, that's also useless since both sides will complain they don't like the tone and/or they could have dialed in something better on X (where X=their unit of choice).
    -
    Austin

11. AtomicBlaze

Did you try the amp? If not your opinion is kind of useless.

12. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Member

Mitch, another approach could be to do a series of artist tone matching videos. Similar to what Glenn DeLaunne did to feature his Artist tone matching IRs.

Essentially using only each unit's on board built-in capabilites (i.e no external IRs, outboard FX), seek to tone match each unit to achieve a best sound match to a select handful of reknown artist tones from a few well known artist tracks. This could be done for each of several music genres. You fill in the blanks.... then let the responses fly!

I'd love to hear how the units approach "classic" sounds of: Clapton, Bonamassa, ZZTop, Walsh, SRV, Page, Hagar, and others.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  13. atquinn

Tried all the variations. Nothing there to pull me from the amps I'm already using. Didn't feel the need to share my opinion on the Fractal board as, really, who cares?
    -
    Austin

14. AtomicBlaze

Seems like a lot of people like the amp so I would say you are in the minority. At least you played it though, it sounded like you were just spouting off about something you don't even know about.

15. Mitch Baker

Mitch Baker Member

He was just speaking generally about honeymoon periods when new amps are added to Fractal's firmware, not the Hook in particular. But if there's any single amp that's almost universally beloved on Fractal's firmware, I think it's the Friedman BE (which is a very significant absence in Helix's current list in my opinion.) Regardless, I'm VERY excited for the Hook to reach the AX8, and I'll definitely give it a shot.

16. AtomicBlaze

I understand his point, I just didn't appreciate him being jerk about it. Sorry I didn't mean to derail your thread. You do a really great job with your videos.

17. bdrepko

bdrepko Member

The problem with having a shootout of dialed in sounds is that people will argue that the presenter didn't spend enough time dialing modeler A so that is why it does not sound as good as modeler B.

MIJLOVER likes this.
  18. Jarick

Jarick Member

Welcome and thanks for posting! Videos are very high quality and useful. So far as good or better than anything I've seen because you are doing true apples to apples.

Very clean playing too.

I really like your explanations, but sometimes it's helpful to hear the two tones back to back, so maybe an edited video with quick comparisons and less talking would be a nice option.

Also, and I'd have to go back and look at your methodology, but it would be really interesting to hear "how close can you match" or "what sound YOU preferred" for each modeler for each given amp/sound/etc.

Lastly, another really cool thing I've seen on YouTube this year is "sounds like" videos. Andertons does this with their gear in store and Dave Simpson does this with one amp...it would be fun to see how close you can get to famous artists or songs. And I bet you'd get a TON of views. Especially when comparing the two units.

19. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

True. It's a slippery slope! You can't please everybody, but I just think that with what we seen from Mitch already, many would probably like to see what he could get out of the two devices. Maybe down the line do a dedicated video for each and present it like "this is the tones I like out of this box", but I totally understand if he doesn't want to go down that path, and his focus is on comparing the two, so it's all good :)

I really enjoy his videos. I know that videos don't replace hands on experience, and I don't agree with everything said, but who would? Doesn't take anything away from Mitch.

Jose7822 and Phnurt like this.
  20. Phnurt

Phnurt Silver Supporting Member

I tried to solve that with my suggestion above.