Fractal vs. Helix: The comparison series (Made by yours truly!)

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Mitch Baker, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Jose7822

Jose7822 Member

Simply eliminate the EQ Block at the end of path B. All Helix's paths are Stereo, unless you insert a mono block, like he did.

HTH

2. MoonBoy

MoonBoy Member

I agree, I can't figure out why they didn't include an off-axis option, even the HD500x had one!

Here's my IdeaScale entry related to this, suggest voting for it :)
    http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Add-a-57-off-axis-to-the-cab-options/799762-23508

3. jageya

jageya Member

4. Mitch Baker

Mitch Baker Member

I'm not talking about off-axis movement, though. I'm talking about horizontal movement of an on-axis microphone. If they wanted to include just an off-axis 57 as they did in the HD series, they could easily do that with another microphone impulse, but what he's talking about is a parameter that could apply to all of the existing mic models. It would take a lot more effort on Line 6's part, but it would prove extremely valuable in negating the often-harsh top end of these hybrid cabs.

MusicLaw and veritechc like this.
  5. MoonBoy

MoonBoy Member

What Mitch describe is what I want as well, someone already commented along those lines on the IdeaScale entry - I figured one step at a time since they don't seem to be in a hurry - updates wise.

6. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

Oh we are trying to get updates out quickly BUT we want to be sure we release great stuff not just filler and that takes time. We also are laying ground work for other things down the road which means other development that needs to be part of the updates. Soon.

7. Mitch Baker

Mitch Baker Member

Part 4 should be up later tonight, but I will warn you, if you thought these other ones were long...

MIJLOVER, whitetiger95 and JawaBBQ like this.
  8. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Member

Thanks for the heads up!

Might turn out to be on the eve of Helix's forthcoming firmware update. ;)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  9. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

Back when I was learning engineering (in a multi grammy winning studio from a grammy winning producer, natch) I was told to always think of mic placement as EQ. To this day I still do. The inverse is LARGELY true when closing mic'ing - small mic placement issues can largely be fixed with EQ.

Obviously it's probably less CPU intensive to do it the way your suggesting, but I wouldn't think you'd have any REAL issues with harshness if you used EQ judiciously...

10. Mitch Baker

Mitch Baker Member

Well, my internet was moving at a glacial pace last night, but it made it up this morning! All 73 minutes of it!

Jose7822, arislaf, Guitardave and 2 others like this.
  11. JamCave Studio

JamCave Studio Member

I'll have to watch all these vids tonight.

I'm still on the fence... Fractal - Helix - Kemper. I know this, I don't own an amp currently and don't plan on one either. I need one of these as I'm running the Line 6 POD 500X still.

Just dropped $2,000+ on a Les Paul so can't jump right in soon and buy one of these but my research has begun right here in this thread.

I like to concentrate on the guitar not fiddling with knobs all the time is the reason I ditched pedals / amps / cab's many months ago.

I need the most simple out of the three.

AtomicBlaze likes this.
  12. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

Good luck!

Lots of opinions - my $.02 is to listen to the best clips you can find and see if you have a preference for any particular unit. The recordings do accurately capture the general differences I experienced in person with the Helix and AX8. Compare feature sets against your needs/wants and make your best choice and enjoy. I wouldn't rule out the Amplifire in that evaluation.

JamCave Studio likes this.
  13. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Gold Supporting Member

WOW, AX8 totally smoked the Helix IMO, thanks for the video Mitch.

Frank Ritchotte likes this.
  14. ejecta

ejecta Member

For some effects I liked the Helix more for some I liked the AX8 more as is totally expected. No way one "smoked" the the other..... not even close.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    Opzouten, MIJLOVER, stairs and 2 others like this.
  15. arislaf

arislaf Member

I feel lucky I chose helix, it's effects are way better imo.

Guitardave and veritechc like this.
  16. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

Again - serious props for your doing these. I think you really manage to keep an overwhelming # of options under reasonable control. Most importantly, you manage to illustrate the experience of how they both approach things differently.

Some things just sound different, some better.

One general observation is that distortion/od pedals generally sound better when they are above unity gain, part of the tone is from pushing the tube preamp/input section into a bit of compression. I find that is key to getting the best tones. In live use applications that also works better as distorted tones need more volume to cut through the band mix.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    Jason_A, Spec and Jose7822 like this.
  17. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Every mfg has their own sig tone added to their models. Some darker, some brighter, some muddier. PEQ is often used a tweak remedy or other filters on the more advanced mfg's. That doesn't mean the sig tonality of the processors themselves can be removed. It's just more of a workaround. I do that with Axe, KPA, and Helix.

18. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu Member

I actually liked the Helix more overall for FX. I liked the delays and modulation better. The distortion was even and the reverbs, I'd give the edge to the FAS.

19. leppy

leppy Member

Thank you for doing this.
    Are the effects in the Helix summed to mono?

The way I hear it is that modulation on the memory man model (and Mod Chorus Echo from other reviews) sounds like flange instead of chorus or vibrato...If I recall correctly in the hd500 if you are only using L(mono) out you'd get that internal summing as well...and I hate it.

Also, I'd really could use Helix Vintage delay and Mod Chorus Echo vs Ax8 tc2290 emulation or something along these lines - for HiQ crisp and bouncy yet modulated delay.
    Cheers!

veritechc likes this.
  20. jageya

jageya Member

I was also told this in engineering school from quite a few pro's. I also see the mic placement as eq. So if line 6 really took effort to expound on the ir method they use it could really add something overall that could make a huge diff